Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

what rpms do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rpms do i need?

ive just started messing around with wheelies and stuff on my 94 f2. so far ive just clutched it up a few times then brought it right back down, no riding it yet. im bascially just following the "how to wheelie instructions" in another post. now usually im one to baby my bike. when riding on the street i rarely go above 8k rpms. however, when trying wheelies its apparent that this is not possible. the couple times i got a good wheelie i was in the 11-12 range i think when i dumped the clutch. is this what i should expect for doing wheelies in the future? the bike is 12 years old so i guess it just needs more rpms then i thought. i weigh 195.

also since im not clutching up to the BP yet i think i may need to go a bit faster than 15mpg to ride the wheelie out. after i dump the clutch and the wheel pops up its been going right back down. more rpms before letting the clutch out? it seems very fun and an adrenalin rush so far

Old 07-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Default RE: what rpms do i need?

Ok, I actually got on an F3 (almost the same bike) the other day cause the guy wanted me to make sure it would wheelie for him. I was literly on the bike for 15 seconds and I clutched it right up in first. Just a little sitdown wheelie, but it worked LOL then I turned around and did it again and just brought it up higher, the biggest problem is he had way too much pressure in the tire and I was wobbily as hell. Then I turned around again and tried to clutch up a staggered standup in 2nd and I couldn't get it to go. I'd be rolling mabye 30 mph and bounce it off the limiter and let the clutch out and it would come up an inch or 2. So I turned around again and did a standup in 1st. I have to say that those bikes are fun as hell LOL Just keep working on it, but my f4i is 10000000X easier to do that stuff on LOL. I just rolled 1st gear up to 5000-5500 rpms and slipped the clutch (don't worry what rpms your slipping it at just look where you want to go and rev the bike a LITTLE at a time, you will get a feel for it in no time) What works best for me is leave your middle, ring, and pinky finger on the grip and pull the clutch with your index finger until the lever touches the back of your nuckles on the other fingers and give it some revs and let out the clutch (all in one SMOOTH motion) My problem when I started clutching is that I wouldn't stay on the throttle, but I'd back off after I let the clutch out and it would do the same thing that you are talking about. Your bike will wheelie no problem, but you just have to work on it and take it slow AND COVER THE REAR BRAKE thats the best thing that you can learn right now is brake control while in a wheelie, I'm still working on mine, but I'm getting better. Sorry for all of the rambling but I've been up for 20 hours and need to sleep LOL Good luck and be safe. Don't expect to be rocking the bp the first day, take it slow and use the clutch. If your ever uncomfortable in a wheelie just ease off the throttle and bring it back down. You can always bring it up again. Good Luck man

-Jesse-

-Jesse-

Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Err

yea try to go by sound instead of looking at your tach. you need to give it more gas, and when it comes up don't chop the throttle roll of a little bit you'll stay up longer. just keep practicing, it'll come.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:45 PM

awesome, thanks for the replies. i just need to practice it more but im sure i will be able to do it

Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 AM

I know these bikes are meant to take a decent amount of abuse, but how much attempting to clutch up can these bikes take? I've also been practicing getting the front tire up on my 95 F3. I have the same problem, not giving it enough gas when letting the clutch out, it comes up and goes back down. But back to the point, my bikes got just over 30k miles now, is there much of a risk on really hurting something besides my body and some plastic?

Sorry for kind of hi-jacking the thread.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 AM

Clutching a bike into a wheelie isn't going to do that much more wear than riding and shifting gears hard. Basically all you are doing is reving the bike a little and letting the clutch out. If your bike has 30k on it now a clutch if probably in your near future anyway. From what I have heard they are really easy to do and only cost about $75. Just keep working with it, you will get a feel for the timing and ear for the sound of the bike and you'll be able to get it up everytime. Just work with 1st gear, I was trying to clutchup 2nd on the F3 I rode and was trying to get it up off of the rev limiter (don't go out and try that, if you have your timing right you'll possible loop if it comes up to fast), but it would only come up a few inches. But if I would have had some more seat time I would have been rocking wheelies down the highway with it no problem. Good luck guys, and just because you have a bike thats a little older doesn't mean that you can't do some cool stuff on them LOL

Peace

-Jesse-

Old 08-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Err

my buddy has an F3 and that bike is a beast. you f3 guys should put a F4i shock in place of your stock one.

i just changed my clutch out 2 days ago and it was sooooooooo freaking easy. it took me 45 min to change the clutch and another 20 for the oil. change your oil when you change your clutch, that way you have fresh oil in the bike.

its really all a matter of taking off the cover, taken the 5 bolts out that hold the pressure plate on, then getting the plates out. sooo freaking easy. then whatever plate came out last goes in first, then a steel plate, then another fiber, then another steel plate, etc etc. remember to soak the clutch for 24 hrs.

its so easy it'll blow your mind. honestly.