General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rpms going up ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpms going up ?

i was about to buy a bike a 04 600rr. the guy called and told me that when the clutch is let out the rpms shoot up a few 1000 when it is in gear. what would cause this? plugs?

edit: i am thinking it is the clutch, the guy said the forks were replaced when he got it at like 6000 miles. so i am thinking the guy before him was wheeli happy and may have killed the clutch? what do you think thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned
Default RE: rpms going up ?

Man I'm not sure I really understand.

So do you have the rear wheel off the ground when this happens or do you mean that when you're on the bike as normal and when you ease the clutch out and begin to move forward the RPM's start climbing?

The only thing I could think that would make the bike do that would be an improper clutch adjustment internally. I still am not sure how it would cause it but it's the only thing I can think of that would cause it.

Have you been into the bike yourself? If not, might be time to crack her open and check some things out with a manual as reference.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Banned

You're not applying the throttle, right?

Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 PM

well i was not on it. i was not even there he told me about it over the phone. from what he said i belive its when he is stoped and going to start moving as he eases the clutch out with no throtle the rpms go up. it does not make, i dont know. i am thinking its the clutch though. i did a search on google and on car forums this seams to be what causes this. he called me back and said that its fine now when i told him i realy dont know if i want it. someone told me that he could have adjusted the clutch to make it seam fine but its still in bad shape. i dont know, the guy is seaming a little shady so i think i am going to pass on it.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

I don't think the clutch is bad, I think it just needs to be properly adjusted - clutches can be weird as in they can go together as if it's all right. The bike will start normally but won't move - sucks but the manual makes it pretty dang clear if you've got any mechanical skills.

I biffed my first clutch job pretty good, lol. But I wasn't following the manual. I got one and it made the difference.

When my clutch was going bad it wouldn't rev up when I released the clutch, just had no pull. At the end it just pretty much would idle in gear.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned

I see.

How much is he asking?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 PM

5500, the brake fluid is a little low not below the low line but a little bubble at the top so its probley going to need brakes. by the time i pay taxes, clutch, brakes, and titling fees, regestration its going to coast probley close to 7000 not worth it. if i was going to pay 7000 i would get the 04 they want 6500 for at a local dealer that has not been down and has a full exhaust and a bucnh of other goodies on it. or a 07

Old 04-08-2008, 08:46 PM

It sounds to me like the bike has been ridden hard. Maybe move on to the next one or see if you can get it cheaper.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Banned

Pass.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. The likely scenario is you'll buy the bike and it'll work great for a week. Then all hell breaks loose right when the weather is beautiful and you have a bike that needs a $1000 bucks put into it. You'll be thinking that I should of just walked away.

Quick Reply: rpms going up ?