Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Questions on engine cages

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on engine cages

How exactly do these engine cages work? I can see that it would save the side of your bike but doesn't your handlebar still take it hard?
I've got a 600f2 and was wondering if I should drop those big bucks on an engine cage. It's already naked so there aren't fairings to worry about.

Right now I see the going price at about $300. Anyone know of a better idea? maybe even a DIY? I have access to a welder.
Guess something I would like to know is if engine cages will be the only contact points if a bike is on its side.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cages are meant to protect your motor and frame from drops in the lot by taking the impact of the fall, similar to a roll cage in a car during a crash. They're meant for normal drops & loops. Crash on the streets/highway at speed and it will prob do more harm than good as a cage would get caught up and flip the bike as opposed to sliding it to a halt.

The F2 is a good cheap starter bike but honestly once you start doing slow stuff those carbs are going to start choking and holding you back from progressing. So if you can build a cage on the cheap I would do so instead of dropping $300 on a cage for a bike you're going to get rid of when its time to upgrade to an F4-EZ or something else EFI!

Your controls will hit depending upon what setup you have and how hard you drop/flip the bike. On a typical cage with sliders stock clips-ons shouldn't hit but if you're running durty bars or flipped & pushed out clip-ons you have the potential to smack em up a bit. Cutting your brake levers down to the length of the bar will also help from getting them bent up.

Check out these sites for more useful info:
stuntbums.com
stuntride.com
stuntlife.com
how2stunt.com