Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

gettin better at wheelies..

Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gettin better at wheelies..

well guys i posted some stuff a few weeks ago about starting to learn how to wheelie. i tried first gear but i didn't like it to much it would snap up to easy for a beginner. So i started in doin about 35 or so.. not really paying attention to speed and rpms just goin but sounds of the motor. But i'm still not able to get up to bp yet.. i prolly get about 2 to 3 ft off ground and ride it for maybe 40 to 60 ft. i started with sit downs and i haven't tackled the stand ups yet. i want to get comfortable with sit downs and clutching it. i feel clutching it is a lil easier than power up wheelies or atleast to me it is.

But my question is how are you supposed to feel once you reach that balance point. how much throttle should i let off. and as long as i stay on the throttle willthe bike flip on me or will it just reach the bp and hang there.. i understand that once you get up there you need to let off.. some .. but how much.. i'm riding a 02 954rr -1,+2..

i've heard you need to listen to the motor to go quiet once you get up there. i know i still need more practice and i'm continuing to do that.. just need a lil confidence booster.. once i get it up she rides str8 down the road..

all u guys remember the first time you started this that i'm goin to high feeling.. that's what i'm getting.. but i'm still trying to get it higher and higher.. my slippin the clutch is getting real smooth.. thks for all the help guys i'll keep in touch..

Old 11-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Default RE: gettin better at wheelies..

Well I have been practicing sit downs in first which are okay. I dont really prefer first gear myself either. I have never really praticed sit downs in second i prefer to stand staggerred. Left foot on rear peg and right on the operators peg, that way you are able to cover the rear brake. The feeling of the balance point is hard to explain but id say its the point you reach when you feel stable and you arent fighting the bike from going going back on 2 wheels. Letting off the throttle is just a very slight motion of the wrist. Id say just a nudge of your wrist.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:11 PM

You're right to listen to your engine. As you get closer to BP, you will be rolling off the throttle a bit, and you will hear the revs accelerating slower... Once you are about at BP, you will probably still be rolling off the throttle, and you will hear your revs stabilize at a sustained RPM. If you get a bit behind your BP, you will start to hear the revs drop a bit, and this is where a combination between the throttle, and rear brake come into play.

Some slowing down can be done with engine braking alone... and some will require light taps on the rear brake to bring you back into BP.

Always keep your foot on the brake, and give it little taps as needed. Also, as you progress, creep up on the balance point... don't try to just slap your bike to it... without learning how to use the rear brake first, you would probably end up looping out, or slapping down so hard you go over the front bars or start tank slapping.

So I guess the key, is learn how to use your rear brake and get comfortable with that... and make your focus on sustaining the same speed rather than chasing your revs to the limiter.

Small steps, be safe.

- Pixel -

Old 11-06-2008, 07:13 PM

Your not high enough until your able to stand up and kiss your front fender, LoL

^^ Dont try the above statement.........Good luck with the practice. Keep it up and remember to cover that brake...=-)

Old 11-06-2008, 07:21 PM

dont know about the 954 but sitting down on my bike at the bp you cant see over your gauges or anything baisically stareing at your gas tank ... its up alot farther than most people realise till they hit it..

Old 11-06-2008, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: adams12

dont know about the 954 but sitting down on my bike at the bp you cant see over your gauges or anything baisically stareing at your gas tank ... its up alot farther than most people realise till they hit it..
Yup dont worry u have the same problem all of us 954 owners have, LoL. Just learn to look around the tank and in front of you (somewhat). Its hard to do without pulling the bike hard to the side ur leaning around. But once you learn to do it, then its like breathing, LoL...Everything is hard until it becomes instinct. Kinda like covering the rear brake, LMAO...=-)

Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
RCR

you should be a little higher then this for sitting down (depends on your wieght and position) to hit BP

Name:  wheelie.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  36.1 KB

Old 11-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Depends on speed though as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:31 PM

I dont even think my 954 will pull wheelies anymore. I'm so damn use to the 636 in the lots, LoL...=-)

One things for sure, its alot easier to slow down a 636 than it is a 954. But gotta say the 954 will roll stoppies a hell of alot farther........954 front end going on my ole ladies F4i, shhhhh dont tell her the reason for that. She thinks its just because its better suspension, hehe...=-)

Old 11-15-2008, 06:58 PM

F*ck respect - how many bikes you have?

yea, i get used to my 636 just in the parking lot and twisties that when i get on my 1Krr i feel like i'm trying to throw around a boulder. (ehh, a rocket boulder).