Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Riding with A Passenger?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i haven't had a passenger yet, but I've been one for a long time, and I think the best tips my b/f would give me to keep us both comfy and safe, was to be like a bag of potatoes and just do what he does. Pretty much lean with him like everyone else says, and support myself with my hands on the tank, not holding onto him( but he had a TL1000R at the time, a very laid out bike) and not to make quick movements/ shift my weight when going slow or at stops cuz hes holding us both up.

But i would say the best thing is like what everyone else says about you educating the passenger. IMO, you need to know that that person can handle it mentally( have to trust the bike and you) and physically, otherwise it'll be a nightmare.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:18 PM

Well, Tawney. I've rode with my Mrs on the back, albeit illegally and she trusts me just fine, but this was only on a short 20 min journey with only town driving and no high speeds. Also this was on my 125 which was a lot lighter. Im 5'6 and I can only reach the ***** of my feet onto the ground on my F4i but i'm hoping with a passenger it will make it slightly easier for my to touch the floor with more contact with all of my boot rather than the tip. Do you agree?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM

I do

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 AM

I have been both rider and pillion. I have fallen asleep on the back of a sportbike and the back of a goldwing and can tell you that you just don't fall off. I have taken pillions on my bike that out weight me by 100 pounds and have had no problems. I just tell them to keep their shoulders even with mine. As for singnals, well I don't have any. If you have to pee you can pee when we stop. If you have something you need to say you can say it when we stop. Same goes when I am pillion.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 AM

Yeah Woodypk, i agree with you. I'm the same height and thats about as much as i can reach on my F4i. But your passenger's weight should help. Just make sure your wearing good boots so you dont slip just in case, well actually always. Haha

Old 03-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few things come to mind when riding with a passenger. First of all, set some ground 'rules'.
  1. Get on and off when you tell them to (so they don't surprise you)
  2. Keep feet on the pegs at a light
  3. Don't shift in the middle of a corner, wait until the road is straight again
  4. The most important one is probably to tell them to look over the shoulder in a turn. Over the left shoulder for a left turn and over the right for a right turn. It makes cornering very smooth and it will feel natural for the passenger
  5. You might want to increase your rear preload because of the extra weight. Turn in will feel weird if the geometry is off
I ride an F4 and I'm tall so although I'm leaning over, it's not extreme. My gf became more confident after a few rides which I could notice through her posture. During the first few rides she would Koala bear and be very high strung. After a few rides you could feel her relax and put her hands on my hips. If she needed to grap one she could do so easily. I also wear a backpack that I would turn around so the straps would face her. When she wanted to stretch a bit she would hold on to the straps and just sit a bit more upright.

I would also rub her left leg as to ask 'everything ok?' and she would do the same on my hip/side to say yes. Other signals may include tapping to grap my attention (and perhaps point) or to see if we could stop for a second. I have yet to get an intercom but if you ride with a passenger a lot it's probably a good idea. She loves riding with me but she did miss being able to talk to me during the ride. Lastly, you could try the Oxford rider passenger grip (other companies make them too) so the passenger doesn't have to lean over as much.

My favorite thing about having my gf as a pillion are the cuddles at a stop light!

Old 09-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Thumbs up

Me personally ,I dont like to ride a pasenger,even the pretty ones. When I'm on the bike, the whole idea is to get away.Understand some significant others dont like that and dont take my advice,I dont have one [/quote]

exactly!!! you couldnt put it ant better dude

Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
Lastly, you could try the Oxford rider passenger grip (other companies make them too) so the passenger doesn't have to lean over as much.

These are great because if they fall off you can cuddle on the way down too. HORRIBLE IDEA!!! Might as well buy a seatbelt.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:49 PM

^^^^^^lmao!!!

Quick Reply: Riding with A Passenger?!?