Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation

The MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation http://www.msf-usa.org/ is great resourse for all riders.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard good things about them. I have an MSF class scheduled for April.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took their Experienced Rider Course a couple years ago and can recommend it. You'll learn something new or think about things from a different perspective, and the discount on your bike and car insurance will more than pay for the course.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not all insurance companies offer a discount for completing an MSF course. State Farm, where I have mine, does not. However, their rates were so much lower than anyone else I checked with that it really doesn't matter.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah state farm is the best for bike insurance as long as you got a good record, they see a motorcycle as a 2 wheeled vehicle they dont judge they're rates by motor size or if its a sportbike, full coverage 500 deductible on a 08 1000rr me being 25 years old costs me a an astonishing 24 dollars a month

Old 02-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll only really find out how little you really know, when it's vital.
Unfortunately by then it's probably going to put you in the hospital.
Keep your life insurance paid up..................

"Give the old, the strength"
"Give the young, the wisdom"

Old 02-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

I am a MSF instructor, and I highly recommend taking a class. If you have been riding for a while and are comfortable on your bike, do the experienced rider course. If you are new to riding, then I would take the beginner rider course. Both courses have the same core exercises, but the BRC is longer and has a classroom portion.

Another choice, if available in your area, is the sportbike rider course. This course is geared toward sportbikes and has some really fun exercises.

At any rate, you can't go wrong. I also think it is a great idea to take a class after any sort of breaks in riding (like winter) and whenever you get a new bike. It gives you a safe environment to knock the rust off the skills or learn the handling characteristics of your new ride.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's in the sportbike curriculum? They don't offer it here in Philly so maybe if I had what it entails I can get a movement going to had it added.

The 2 big dealerships would support it I'm sure. Philly Cycle Center already hosts both BRC & ERC

Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 PM

I took the beginner course in Sept last year. I already had some rider experience (mostly on dirt though) so the beginning of the class was a bit slow for me, but once things started picking up I had a lot of fun. I really became more confident in my abilities and learned to trust the bike a lot more than before. I really want to take the experienced rider course and then sometime in the future I want to take the sport bike course. The way I see it, it never hurts to learn new things, improve your skills or to practice the ones you already have.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

Just a note for all you military or ex-military affiliated people. If you still have your ID card this class is free and mandatory to ride on any military installation. Some places wont even let you on with out haven taken this class.

The best part of this is that its FREE. Let me repeat that $250-$1000 dollar class - 1 ID card = free class. Heck the now are even loaning you a ride so you don't have to buy one upfront and wreck yours. How great is that!

Sorry if your non-military.

Quick Reply: MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation