Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Mirrors. DO you use them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mirrors are good...even though i can only use about half without moving an arm one way or another

Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 PM

I've read that when operating a motorcycle you should never look at anything for more than 2 seconds. I keep my head on a swivel, looking ahead, beside and behind the bike. That's much easier to do with mirrors.
As far as looks go, yeah, the sleek racer look of no mirrors looks cool, but I couldn't live without them on the street. It's kinda like running open headers, it sounds cool, but it isn't smart on the street.
What about something like these:

Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 PM
BDT

Would you drive your car without mirrors? It's the same thing.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think theyre useless. Sure you can ride without them, but they give you that little extra visual awareness.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Default extendables

Cmon you guys, mirrors are essential for safe riding. I sell a set that extend. www.extendze.us. tell me you are from CBR forum and I will refund 20 bucks!.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by BDT
Would you drive your car without mirrors? It's the same thing.
I'm not saying I agree with riding without them, but it's not the same thing. Cars are huge, and have blind spots. It's like going down the road in a box, with windows. Being on a bike is like walking down the road... you can see everything fine if you just look around, mirrors just save time.

That being said I'd like to ride with mirrors, but they were broke off my bike when I got it (stunt bike) and I got used to riding without them. The only time I really miss them is on the highway when I wanna know where the cars are around me at all times or if I pass a cop to see if he puts on his lights or speeds up. I'll have them on my next bike, but tbh I've never ridden a bike that had mirrors

Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 AM
BDT

^^ How is it any different? I could say the exact same thing about cars. I could turn my head around and see everything too. It's simply far more dangerous to turn your head around to the necessary angles instead of a simple glance at a mirror.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:34 PM

i use 'em all the time + turning my heads

Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 PM

When I first got my bike it didn't have any mirrors on it. I didn't feel right riding without them. Since I ordered them and put them on, I won't go back to riding without. Just a personal preference and a comfort thing for me. I turn and look in my blindspots, but it's nice to be able to just glance and see if some idiot is doing something foolish.

A few months ago, I was riding my bike to NY, and as I was getting to the GWB, I happened to glance in my mirror just in time to see some b*tch sharing my lane with me. In traffic, I sometimes tend to sway back and forth in my lane, (don't know why, probably out of boredom), and if it hadn't have been for my mirrors, I would have probably been a hood ornament for that dumbass.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find if I'm not wearing a helmet I'll use the mirrors and do headchecks, but if I'm wearing a helmet I rely on the mirrors more. Seems cumbersome to try to do a headcheck when you can't see as much anyway, plus it feels so bulky to crank it around like that.. could miss stuff in front of you in that time. I dunno, maybe I'm just silly.

Quick Reply: Mirrors. DO you use them?