Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Mirrors. DO you use them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirrors. DO you use them?

Dunno what its like where you're from, but it seems that the Sportbike subculture out here in Portugal doesnt believe in mirrors...

I used to find them quite useful on my YZF600R, but when I picked up my 929, the first time I saw her, she didnt have them on. Looked gorgeous in that pitbull with clipped ears kinda way

When I picked her up, dude said he had some mirrors, for it, so I asked him to put them on, as I was used to having them... but they were not the original mirrors, they were much smaller and apart from my arms, I couldnt see ****, so, hit ebay and bought an original set.
While waiting for them, I quickly came to realise that it was useless looking in THOSE mirrors, so I got used to not looking. using my head more to look over my shoulder, etc.
Now that I've placed the original mirrors on it... I dont like the look of them ... They're bloody huge!

I wonder how many of you have chosen to remove the mirrors entirely from your CBR... Its not about following the subculture thing, as I dont care about that stuff, but I feel that I like pitbulls more than beagles if you catch my drift...

Old 09-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure, a lot mirrors only give a real nice look at your elbows & the ones on my CBR are no exception. But set up right & they can make a difference & that split second glancing over you're shoulder can make a big difference if the vehicle in front decides to slam on his brakes or pull out from the side street while you're doing it. Not to mention the approaching Police car. (I even have a set on my push bike). Here at least, not having them on you're bike will usually incur a fine & a possible defect sticker.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Are they the original mirrors? I find that I can see just fine with the originals, but I just dont like the look of them...

Anyone know any nice (and usable) Aftermarket mirrors?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well mirrors can be a tuff one to settle on for sure

But I'm digging around looking for two pairs myself
and kinda like these ......... not too expensive either

Old 09-10-2010, 09:53 AM

I had been riding with the stock f2 mirrors for about 4 months now... I recently finished a body conversion and took it for a spin without the new mirrors and i felt helpless. I typically look down in my mirrors every few seconds to see whats behind me so that I can face the front. Just feels kinda crazy to me without mirrors

Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM

I lost one of mine recently and while I was out in the country it wasn't quite so bad. I missed it and would have preferred that it was the other one (footpath side) but it was when I tried to ride through Melbourne on a Friday night that I realised I can't live without them. It was like having an arm missing.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussiephoenix
Yes, I use them, absolutely. Sure, bikes tend to look better w/o them but they are there for a reason. They're especially helpful if you live in a urban environment.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Yeah, I guess they are pretty handy in the city.
I've been riding carefree lately, new ride and all, lol... but now that I stop to think about it, that second that Im looking behind me, 1001 things can happen in front... though, I never change lanes before looking in the blindspot anyway...

Sprock, I'd seen those before... I kinda got a love/hate thing for them... somehow, I think they'd look cooler on a custom Cruiser

Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussiephoenix
Absolutely. I don't spend a lot of time looking back but when I do I like to know what's back there without having to twist my head around like an owl.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

very handy to see if that jerk in the next lane is accelerating, or if the po-po you just passed suddenly hits the brakes and turns around... and in my case, they're also the turn signals.

i know people think they take away from the looks, but personally, i find most sportbikes look goofy and incomplete without the mirrors.

Quick Reply: Mirrors. DO you use them?