Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Left turn....

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kawasaki Noobie
My girlfriend always says there is points where getting hit is absolutely inevitable. I completly disagree. There is never a point where you will get hit. Assuming you are riding defensivly. You can pull into the other lane and zip by, you can make the turn right (where they turn left), you can brake hard, or just anticipate it and adjust speed. I always do.....because if they do see me, I can zip by them really fast and show off.

Just watch the tires....if they start to move, slow down, if they start to turn, slow down, if they do anything except move backwards, slow down.
There is always a Point of No Return, when you are fully committed to an action. And there is always a Window of Vulnerability, where you are open to a collision.

But with experience and sensible riding, you can minimize both of those. Look at this guy:
‪2010 10 24
Safe bet he is capable of more evasive maneuvers than many of us. He will not have to commit to an action as early as we do. But eventually he will have to commit to an action or any further maneuvering will exceed the capabilities of the bike, the rider or physics in general

As for the Window of Vulnerability, a rider is always vulnerable. It is impossible to close that window. But with situational awarenes and maximizing your capabilities (cause the bike's capabilities usually exceed most riders) you can make the Window of Vulnerability very small. Simply knowing when to speed up / slow down when approaching an intersection can make it so the time when a car can impact you is less than a couple seconds. Being able to swerve effectively gives more options than Brake or Pray.

I've swerved behind a car turning suddenly in front of me by trading time for space (slowing down), trading space for time (swinging out into the oncoming traffic lane while he had it blocked) and then hauling it over to cut behind him.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Physics dictates that there will be a point where collision is inevitable.
The trick is staying in front of that point.

I actually run a timer in my head as I approach vehicles, judging down to potential
collision. It helps me anticipate my reaction times and keeps my awareness in the
groove.

I think there are few, if any, left-turn collisions that couldn't have been avoided. The
key point is anticipation. ASSUME they are going to turn. Spot your hole and/or slow
down, BE READY!! Execute the plan when it actually happens. Eliminate the surprise that diminishes your ability to DO something about it.

Ern

Old 07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
ASSUME they are going to turn.
Ern
Actually I assume they won't make up their mind to turn until the worst possible moment Those are the worst: the ones whose foot is hovering over the brake and the gas, trying to decide which to use.

That's when pushing the PNR back by slowing down is most effective. When the new PNR and Point of Impact arrive, you can gas it and shoot through it. Or having shed speed, you can swerve much harder than if travelling at faster speed.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy skills Vs luck

I feel ya...Only riders will understand such circumstances PNR. I was riding last week on Pacific Coast Highway. Left lane was packed with cars & right lane was open. My destination will be a right turn on next block so I taken the right lane just go about 30mph. Some Lexus 350 just made an abrubt cut out from the left into my right lane. I had to avoid being hit, and there was a driveway entering Mcdonalds. I had to drive on sidewalk.....

Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Actually I assume they won't make up their mind to turn until the worst possible moment Those are the worst: the ones whose foot is hovering over the brake and the gas, trying to decide which to use.
I feel I'm quite good at situational awareness and defensive riding and spot these ***** from a mile away. Even if they don't touch the brakes you can see these indecisive morons are going to do something that might put you in danger.

Just yesterday I was putting along and further down the road the two lanes would split into three. One left, two right. Before I saw Mrs. Shouldntbedriving there was a one more stoplight and a tight right hand turn (after this turn the single lane splits into two). I leave the light and take the turn. She was in front of me on the right lane. She was still signaling to the right when she decided to switch to the left lane. This made me hang back (I could see her in the right mirror) expecting her to be a dumbass.

About halfway before the other lights (one left, two right) she switched back into my lane without looking and without signaling. I started yelling 'I KNEW IT. I KNEW IT!!!! I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DO SOMETHING STUPID YOU ****ING BITCH!! I'M A NINJAAAAA. Hehe. I have a passenger on my commute and she was wondering what happened but since she's my daily driver, she knew it was another dumbass.

The thing is, she was on the left and the moved over to furthers right lane. She switched two lanes, which ok, can happen but it's not like she could have just made a right turn and ended up on the same road if she took the left. It goes to the other side of town! Ahhhhgrrrlll.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Put a Euro style left hand switch pod with a flash-to-pass trigger on your bike, flash like mad anytime there's a car in front of you that could potentially pull out or turn left across your path. Works like magic, it's unbelievable how many cars have nailed the brakes when I let em have it. Single most effective safety upgrade IMO, and utterly baffling that it doesn't come stock on all bikes. You can do the same thing with the regular high beam switch, sort of, but it doesn't really compare. With the trigger you can flash instantly and without having to think about it.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Red_Eye
Put a Euro style left hand switch pod with a flash-to-pass trigger on your bike, flash like mad anytime there's a car in front of you that could potentially pull out or turn left across your path. Works like magic, it's unbelievable how many cars have nailed the brakes when I let em have it. Single most effective safety upgrade IMO, and utterly baffling that it doesn't come stock on all bikes. You can do the same thing with the regular high beam switch, sort of, but it doesn't really compare. With the trigger you can flash instantly and without having to think about it.
I have it as standard on my bikes. I use it when behind someone after they did something stupid.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:55 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default +1

+1 anticipation...well said. Key to defensive riding indeed.

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Physics dictates that there will be a point where collision is inevitable.
The trick is staying in front of that point.

I actually run a timer in my head as I approach vehicles, judging down to potential
collision. It helps me anticipate my reaction times and keeps my awareness in the
groove.

I think there are few, if any, left-turn collisions that couldn't have been avoided. The
key point is anticipation. ASSUME they are going to turn. Spot your hole and/or slow
down, BE READY!! Execute the plan when it actually happens. Eliminate the surprise that diminishes your ability to DO something about it.

Ern

Old 07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, maybe a hook-up to my useless horn button? This whole 'flash to pass" idea is new and intrgueing. One more tool on my bat utility belt!
Thanks, Ern

Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is an awesome thread full of great advice. I'm fairly new as well. Even before my bike I'm a constant scanner in my car. that just made it easier when I got the bike bc I was always looking for the worst possible outcome. 5 days after I got my bike some woman almost hit me from the side trying to move into my lane. If I had not been paying attention she could have thrown me off my bike and into oncoming traffic.

Quick Reply: Left turn....