Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Left turn....

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:49 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Left turn....

I've been riding a few years now and what really fears me is other vehicle left turns. This is the #1 root cause of accidents riding in city streets. I hear 80% accidents is cause by an intended left turn. Either the car Coming out from a driveway, or a traffic intersection waiting for left a left turn. Some drive does not seem to see us riders coming. I want to know if anyone else here understand this? When I see a car ahead signal for a left turn, to me I assume they do not see me. And tips to lessen the chance of accident.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean turning in front of you?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I can dig it. Check my sig., says it all. ;-)
Ern

Old 07-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some one try to do that. I noticed it and was on my brakes fully, with my girl on the back. The passenger was yelling at the driver lol. I always assume I am unseen. Always have an escape route too.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 PM

I had a incident recently with this type of scenario, i'm a noob to top it off. first day out and was taking a curvy road to the left however a car was making a left turn from opposite side he got so close to the divider and i panicked i didnt think he was going to stop so i hit the brakes and went down no crazy injuries but i need to learn some evasive maneuvers for next time.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Default Send a sign...

I run into this type of situation almost every other time I ride. The oncoming traffic/ driver signaling (or not) waiting on a left. Sometimes you really don't know if they do see you or not? But best assume they Don't! I would down shift/slow down a bit, stand up like i am getting ready to pull a wheelie, and fade right, signal right. Worst case is when sun setting in back of you, then the driver facing you wanting to make a left turn, then you must really be extra careful. Also, if the driver makes a left thru a double yellow line right....tQUOTE=undagroundrican;1079794]I had a incident recently with this type of scenario, i'm a noob to top it off. first day out and was taking a curvy road to the left however a car was making a left turn from opposite side he got so close to the divider and i panicked i didnt think he was going to stop so i hit the brakes and went down no crazy injuries but i need to learn some evasive maneuvers for next time.[/QUOTE]

Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Default OncomIng..

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
You mean turning in front of you?
Yes, oncoming traffic, drivers signaling or not. Even if they see you, but they begin their turn before you pass.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well what works for me is to ride within my and my bike's capabilities.

There's the PNR, Point of No Return. Once you reach that point, it is impossible to do anything but continue straight. If you know your abilities and your bike's capabilities, you can control where the PNR is. If you're riding outside those limits, faster than you can SEE (MSF Search Evaluate Execute) or swerve or brake, then cars turning in front of you are a very real danger.

Riding inside your capabilities, you can make it so once you cross the PNR the chances of you hitting a car turning in front of you are almost impossible. If you're scanning cross streets and adjusting your speed (both down AND up), you can make it so a car would have to do 0 - 60 in 1 sec to impact you when you're vulnerable.

It sounds like you're expecting the other person to see and react appropriately to you. That's wrong for driving any vehicle on the road. People regularly don't see my white E-250 Super Duty work van. But a motorcycle is far more agile and nimble than a giant van. Rely on that and your abilites to counter the nervousness.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM

My girlfriend always says there is points where getting hit is absolutely inevitable. I completly disagree. There is never a point where you will get hit. Assuming you are riding defensivly. You can pull into the other lane and zip by, you can make the turn right (where they turn left), you can brake hard, or just anticipate it and adjust speed. I always do.....because if they do see me, I can zip by them really fast and show off.

Just watch the tires....if they start to move, slow down, if they start to turn, slow down, if they do anything except move backwards, slow down.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM
MZ5

You're dreaming, and a good driving/riding course will run you through the drills which show that to you. Driving defensively is a mitigation strategy. There _is_ a PNR in every situation. All you can do is all you can do up to the PNR.

Quick Reply: Left turn....