Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How do you know when you're ready?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About the turn signals - in my state, turnsignals are actually optional on motorcycles, so I recon I could legally never use em, but I do most of the time. One thing my CBR has that makes it easy is the fact that you can press the turn signal switch in to cancel the blinker unlike the Yamaha I was borrowing most of last fall that you had to concentrate on pushing the switch the other direction to cancel it. I was forever turning on the other signal accidentally on that bike.

Riding with friends that understand you're a new rider will help - and take a couple hour ride ride out through the country with them. I've got a older guy I shoot pool with, he's got a Shadow 750 and loves to find some burger/catfish/pizza joint out in the middle of nowhere and go there. Eat til you're stuffed, gas up and head back. He also likes to just cruise along at respectable yet responsible speeds, so it kept me in check. Those rides did a lot for me just getting comfortable with being on a bike without dealing with stop n go city traffic. It'll build up confidence, so that when you get in a more congested situation, you aren't feeling like a newb about everything.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:04 PM

Oh - and take a MSF course if you can. Some states even pay for it - see if Ohio is one.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it about 2 years ago, but I want to take it again. It was so long ago, and I never really got to practice once I finished. So, I remember a lot of the theory, but the application part has kinda faded. Gettin out of the city is another great idea. Thank you very much for the guidance everyone!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:09 PM

As for being ready. If you can start out from a stop without stalling often, make slow corners, can shift through the gears properly, and know how to make a sudden stop. That's pretty much all you really need to know for your first time out.

But I think the most important thing that you need to have, is confidence in yourself. You should be focusing on what you're doing, and I think if you have confidence that you can do the basics well, you won't be as inclined to worry about making a mistake at the wrong time.

One more tip really, start slow. Take small trips often at first. Try to stay away from really really busy streets. Long trips save for later, they will fatigue you quickly being new, I know they still beat me up pretty good. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Oh - and take a MSF course if you can. Some states even pay for it - see if Ohio is one.
i know the course is free here in Pennsylvania. i highly recommend taking the course. i actually went through the course twice. the first time was to get my license...the second was with a friend to get his license (he got his permit about the same time i did two years ago) and to brush up on my own skills.

if there is a parking lot close by...ride to it and practice starting, stopping, turning, and panic stops (definitely do those in a straight line...otherwise it could result in a drop)

Last edited by Xander F4i; 07-27-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 AM

How's the riding going? I'm sure with a months practice, your out on traffic like a regular?

This reminded me how I took my brothers non-registered 08 CBR 600RR out around the block twice a week for a month. I did it to warm his bike up while he was in the army. I got good practice on it. I bought my bike a week ago and within the next day I was riding smooth with traffic. All a matter of brake/clutch timing/smooth turns and awareness.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Thumbs up

Oh much better! I'm getting more comfortable out on the streets every time I go out. I'm thinking about taking the riding exam soon.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:08 PM

I've been wondering this same thing myself. So far, I've ridden in a parking lot, and did a quick ride around my friends development then it got too dark and since I'm on a permit I can't ride after dark
I want to ride so bad, but I'm just worried I'll do something stupid when I actually get out on roads with other people (cars). I guess I just need to do what everyone says and just go! Live and learn, right??

Originally Posted by R Smoove
So I took my moto out for my first drive yesterday, and being a new rider I was just keeping it around the neighborhood. After a while, I started getting bored with the neighborhood, so I wanted to get out of the area. But I also was realizing that I was always forgetting to turn my turn signals off, and whenever a car would come around, my head would go all over the place, and I would stall, or do an number of weird things. Needless to say, I never left the neighborhood because I didn't think I was ready. So my question to all you veterans is... Think way back to when you were a noob like me, when and how did you decide you were ready to get out into traffic?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

nah man, hey easy on yourself there ,everyone pretty much goes through the same
thing , some get it right away some it takes a quite a bit of time before it all "clicks".

Just take it steady, 45 minutes a day eventually it just clicks you'll know, ya won't
have to even think about it.

The one thing you always keep, no matter how comfortable and confident you
become......... is alert & ride with anticipation of what is going on around you
peripherally,this too can be a developed auto response you gain as you get more
experience on the road.

You'll do fine I'd say

Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 AM

Yeah, I started by getting out there early in the morning when there's only a little traffic out. Then, as the day goes on and you're all warmed up the traffic gradually increases, but it doesn't really bother you. I haven't tried being out at rush hour times yet though.

Quick Reply: How do you know when you're ready?