Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How do you know when you're ready?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Question How do you know when you're ready?

So I took my moto out for my first drive yesterday, and being a new rider I was just keeping it around the neighborhood. After a while, I started getting bored with the neighborhood, so I wanted to get out of the area. But I also was realizing that I was always forgetting to turn my turn signals off, and whenever a car would come around, my head would go all over the place, and I would stall, or do an number of weird things. Needless to say, I never left the neighborhood because I didn't think I was ready. So my question to all you veterans is... Think way back to when you were a noob like me, when and how did you decide you were ready to get out into traffic?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM

If you have a permit then your ready! You just gotta throw yourself out there, its the only way for you to learn and get better. Also you gotta ride as often as possible, just like anything else you wont get better unless you practice.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 PM

how did you start driving a car?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Thumbs up

True True True. I had that thought too. I just wanted some input from the masters.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by R Smoove View Post
True True True. I had that thought too. I just wanted some input from the masters.
masters ? i promise you we all forget to turn the signals off so no we are not masters ......
you just need to get out by your self or with a buddy and ride . the biggest thing i can tell you is after you get alittle better ( DO NOT TRY AND KEEP UP WITH OTHER RIDERS ) that's what will get you hurt !

Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 PM

I've ridden for as long as I can remember and hparker619 is right, we never become masters. Thinking of ourselfs as that will get us in trouble. I do remember when I bought my wife her first bike, I didn't realize she was new at riding and I took her every where and later I realized I was really risking her getting hurt. Thank God she never did but later she explained how scared she was. Take your time and follow your pase not anybody elses. Johnnyh

Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 AM

I'm still brand new but I can tell you that riding with a good friend really helped my confidence. I could watch him take corners and make decisions and it really opened up my eyes and let me relax while riding.

If you do have a friend to ride with, make sure you set the rules before you ride. Your friend needs to know what you're comfortable with. Have fun!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 AM

ride as much as possible. get a buddy and ride around with him/her.

biggest thing to riding with others is to ride YOUR safe ride, not theirs, as others have already said.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks a lot everyone. This helps me out a bunch. Good info!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyh View Post
I've ridden for as long as I can remember and hparker619 is right, we never become masters. Thinking of ourselfs as that will get us in trouble. I do remember when I bought my wife her first bike, I didn't realize she was new at riding and I took her every where and later I realized I was really risking her getting hurt. Thank God she never did but later she explained how scared she was. Take your time and follow your pase not anybody elses. Johnnyh
Originally Posted by Robles929 View Post
ride as much as possible. get a buddy and ride around with him/her.

biggest thing to riding with others is to ride YOUR safe ride, not theirs, as others have already said.
I think this pretty much covers it. Riding with others and getting come critiques from more experienced riders is invaluable, but don't forget to ride your own ride and don't go beyond your limits. And there is no such thing as a master... Especially with all of the unknowns that come at you on the street... There's always another driver out there that is ready to create a new situation that makes you think "wtf????".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you know when you're ready?

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.