Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Dip out, turn in

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:48 PM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you want to be as smooth as possible. Other drivers are stupid enough when it comes to motorcycles - from not seeing us entirely to staring at us because they're afraid we're in a bike gang or something else idiotic - so it's best to not give them any more confusion.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aken
Countersteer at a low speed doesn't make sense, because countersteering doesn't EXIST at low speed.
not trying to battle... but this statement is not true. just because it might not be the best way to turn at slow speeds doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

references:

TOTW 2 dvd

Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by revilingfool
not trying to battle... but this statement is not true. just because it might not be the best way to turn at slow speeds doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

references:

TOTW 2 dvd
+1

It does exist at low speeds, its just so minute that its not noticeable.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:11 AM

I'm not really envisioning what you're meaning by "dipping", but if I'm making a standard right turn, my turn in point is the left side of the right lane, then I turn in, arc smoothly through the apex (point closest to the curb intersection) and accelerate out back into the left portion of the right lane.

Now, on the approach, I suppose if you are not on the correct line and have to move left in order to setup for the right, that could be what is meant by the "dip". If I really had to do that to be on the correct and smoothest line, so be it.... but I should set up long before the turn so that I wouldn't have to abruptly move the opposite direction I want to go. Don't make a simple turn into a chicane.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Countersteering simply does not exist up to a certain speed. It's called physics. If I'm going slow enough and I attempt to counter steer, my bike is just going to turn in that direction. If it's so minute that it's not noticeable, that's the same as not existing to any normal motorcycle rider.

Twist of the Wrist is a how to ride fast and smooth type of DVD. While I'm sure it has some good information (even though a quick Google to figure out what your acronym meant led me to some very unfriendly reviews of the DVD), how to ride fast on the track or the street is not what is being discussed here.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:36 AM

Twist of the Wrist is a how to ride fast and smooth type of DVD. While I'm sure it has some good information (even though a quick Google to figure out what your acronym meant led me to some very unfriendly reviews of the DVD), how to ride fast on the track or the street is not what is being discussed here.

edgeamacate youself

since i cant post the dvd: check 3:00 minutes into this video. look at the bike lean. im sure your enough experienced enough to pass up the rest. then again, its just an opinion...

anyway since i never answered the question about the dip, i would only do it for fun haha i havent encountered a normal turn that required it. (abnormal being roadkill etc)

Old 02-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok let me elaborate a bit.

You're at a light / stop sign making a right turn. Your speed will be < 10 mph. From a dead stop or such low speed, you can direct steer thru the turn. Instead you briefly flick the bars left which angles you left just a bit and then begin the right turn.

I think randy knows what I'm talking about when he mentioned adjusting his approach to hit the line (btw Happy Belated Birthday, randy!).

Old 02-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Ok let me elaborate a bit.

You're at a light / stop sign making a right turn. Your speed will be < 10 mph. From a dead stop or such low speed, you can direct steer thru the turn. Instead you briefly flick the bars left which angles you left just a bit and then begin the right turn.

I think randy knows what I'm talking about when he mentioned adjusting his approach to hit the line (btw Happy Belated Birthday, randy!).
At that speed, it does work and I can't see any real issues. I get the reference now from the motorjock's training for the low speed maneuvers (ever see the competition videos? - impressive). It does give you a wider arc, and counterweighting also can help (shifting body position to the opposite side of the turn).

What I was describing earlier was for a faster turn - not from a stop.

Thanks for the b-day wish!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:16 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by revilingfool
edgeamacate youself

since i cant post the dvd: check 3:00 minutes into this video. look at the bike lean. im sure your enough experienced enough to pass up the rest. then again, its just an opinion...

anyway since i never answered the question about the dip, i would only do it for fun haha i havent encountered a normal turn that required it. (abnormal being roadkill etc)
I ride a motorcycle, I'm plenty educated on how they work. If you have a point, make it, but don't talk down to people.

Perhaps I differ on my opinion of where balancing ends and counter steering starts. Counter steering to me is the act of attempting to turn the handle bars at speed to initiate a lean towards the direction you want to turn. I say attempting because usually the bars to not turn, or the amount they turn is so imperceptible that you wouldn't know the difference.

At lower speeds, when there are not enough physical forces to prevent the handle bars from moving and the wheel from actually turning, this can be dangerous and is rarely used by anyone on a motorcycle (as stated by the second video in that countersteering reference link).

When I am at those speeds, I don't focus my thoughts on counter steering at ALL. I focus on balance, shifting weight, and turning into the turn with the handle bars.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:34 PM

I ride a motorcycle, I'm plenty educated on how they work. If you have a point, make it, but don't talk down to people.

Perhaps I differ on my opinion of where balancing ends and counter steering starts. Counter steering to me is the act of attempting to turn the handle bars at speed to initiate a lean towards the direction you want to turn. I say attempting because usually the bars to not turn, or the amount they turn is so imperceptible that you wouldn't know the difference.

At lower speeds, when there are not enough physical forces to prevent the handle bars from moving and the wheel from actually turning, this can be dangerous and is rarely used by anyone on a motorcycle (as stated by the second video in that countersteering reference link).

When I am at those speeds, I don't focus my thoughts on counter steering at ALL. I focus on balance, shifting weight, and turning into the turn with the handle bars.
The simple physics of counter steering do not just disappear at low speeds, they are always present. They just are not noticeable at low speeds because the amount of counter steer needed is SO tiny because there is little momentum to overcome. It is so tiny that we can't feel it, but its been captured on video before.

Quick Reply: Dip out, turn in