Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Braking question! how many fingers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
to each their own. riding styles vary from person to person and road to road. i ride mountain bikes as well and i keep fingers on the brake too, but there is no throttle to twist. if your riding hard on a good road or the track, your fingers wont have time to get off the lever. on a road with longer straights or cruising around, i see no need to rest on the levers. but that's just my opinion....
I guess that's sort of true, I just don't have any cruising roads around me for the most part. I'm worried some sort of animal will run out in front of me, or a car will whip around some of the blind intersections in my area. I can understand not resting any of the levers if your cruising on a wide open road with large shoulders, I just live in the trees!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

do you ever follow people that rest their foot on the brake, then ride it in corners when they aren't even making the speed limit? i laugh because they would be better off just driving the car in the corner, but instead they tap the brake completely at the wrong time forcing the car to fight itself in a turn. they feel safe knowing that the brake is right there in case the car gets wildly out of control. i figure the same is true on my bike. if i need to brake quickly, its a finger pull away. however, panic can cause braking too quickly and really cause more problem than focusing on avoiding the danger. the extra fraction of a second allows me to make an instinctual decision to brake or not. i stay alert as a requirement for survival, but try to stay loose and relaxed to find my rhythm and make me a better rider. just my thoughts....

Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
do you ever follow people that rest their foot on the brake, then ride it in corners when they aren't even making the speed limit? i laugh because they would be better off just driving the car in the corner, but instead they tap the brake completely at the wrong time forcing the car to fight itself in a turn. they feel safe knowing that the brake is right there in case the car gets wildly out of control. i figure the same is true on my bike. if i need to brake quickly, its a finger pull away. however, panic can cause braking too quickly and really cause more problem than focusing on avoiding the danger. the extra fraction of a second allows me to make an instinctual decision to brake or not. i stay alert as a requirement for survival, but try to stay loose and relaxed to find my rhythm and make me a better rider. just my thoughts....
I suppose, but then again...people who drive like that are idiots. Most of the time I am on the throttle going through corners in my car, I brake before the corner and throttle through it, much better traction, much better control. I can also left foot brake if I ever need to, but that's not happened before, I can only imagine me doing that around a sharp corner that and something being there I didn't expect (deer, person, dog, ect...).

As for my bike, I haven't ridden much, still new to bikes with motors. I will however apply the same principal, brake before throttle through, nice smooth consistent throttle. I do however understand your point, try to be loose and relaxed to make better decisions, I don't freak out under pressure, I keep calm and make a decision based on what's going on as well.

Stay safe!

Old 04-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never say always However, I usually cover the brake with two and occasionally cover the clutch with two. The trick, I've found, to prevent panic stops that screw up your normal ride flow is to practice, practice, practice and always (ya, never say always) have a way out when that dingbat woman or critter darts in your path. When you get caught up in the moment or you get distracted is when the stuff hits the fan and you end up asphalt surfing.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 PM

This is interesting, I thought the MSF instructors told you not to cover your brake or clutch except when you are first learning to start, stop, and use the friction zone. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 PM

MSF does tell you not to cover your brakes, i was getting ready for a downshift once and got yelled at for covering. back on topic: i was taught the less fingers you use for braking the less likely you are to braking too hard, which is important in a corner or something

Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

The only braking done in a corner would be trail braking which is best left for the track and experts only.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:50 PM

Got yelled at repeatedly during my brc because I use 2 fingers on the brake. But I passed.

So there is no 'required' number of fingers on the brake. I use 2 fingers because, for me, it prevents 'overbraking': pulling the brake too hard too fast. Using 2 fingers I have lifted the rear off the ground in an emergency braking situation. Which means I was at the very limit of front braking.

Now that being said, ignore everything I said you have to do what's comfortable for you as there is no hard and fast rule. You need to find the technique that allows you to ride safely and comfortably. If that means using your pinky and ring finger to brake, go with it if you can fully compress the brake lever. Don't be offended if i see you using those fingers and decide to change lanes

Brake effectively
Brake comfortably

Those are the only requirements

Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Track and street are two different environments. On the track, you know all of your
brake/clutch moments, so you don't need the "instant access". It hasn't been specifically mentioned,
but I'm reading some track-based opinions, interjected
into this more street-oriented thread.

However, on the street, I strongly contend, that the 3-5 hundreths lost while getting your
fingers, to the controls equates to 10 feet additionally traveled, to as much as 60-300 feet
(depending on speed, of course). When an avoidance vs collision can often be measured
in inches and feet, I strongly endorse, keeping those fingers planted.
Mere perception and synaptic/muscle-firing reaction times are already adding
4-6 hundreths to your time, already (In a fine-tuned athlete). Mean-while destiny is
hurtling towards you.

Ern

Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheCult
MSF does tell you not to cover your brakes, i was getting ready for a downshift once and got yelled at for covering. back on topic: i was taught the less fingers you use for braking the less likely you are to braking too hard, which is important in a corner or something
Ok, it must have been the clutch, it's been a little while. They didn't tell us to specifically cover it, but it was allowed during the getting familiar w/ the bike early on.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Got yelled at repeatedly during my brc because I use 2 fingers on the brake. But I passed.
Same here, I kept getting reminded to use all 4 fingers when braking.

Ern so are you saying keep the brake covered b/c it gives slightly better reaction time?

Quick Reply: Braking question! how many fingers?