CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Braking question! how many fingers? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/braking-question-how-many-fingers-136773/)

Wisconsin 04-13-2012 06:59 PM

Braking question! how many fingers?

Hello,

I am no to this forum and to riding. I am just wondering as to how you guys brake( and pull the clutch for that matter)?

So far I have been using all 4 fingers for brake and clutch. I have tried using 2 but it seems a little sketchy to me.....

so that brings me to my question.

IS there a proper amount of fingers to use for brake/clutch, and what are the benifits to the different approaches?

74demon 04-13-2012 07:03 PM

3 on clutch (short levers)
2 on brake, always

Wisconsin 04-13-2012 07:07 PM

Okay cool thanks ill try that out!

How would one know if there clutch is a "short lever" or not?

sorry im just getting used to all the jargon!:icon_viking:

74demon 04-13-2012 07:12 PM

Short levers are short. Stock levers are long. Take a pic and we will tell you, if youre unsure.

MadHattr059 04-13-2012 07:37 PM

Yuppers, although I do it the opposite, 2 on the clutch and 3 on the brakes. +1 to the comment, "At All Times!".

Ride safe, Ern

chambers 04-13-2012 09:49 PM

MSF instructors say use all four on the brake, I got caught quite a few times w/ just a couple fingers on the brake b/c it's what I do on my dirt bike.

Wisconsin 04-14-2012 01:18 AM

Alright I just tried it out and Its gonna take a little getting used too but i see what your saying. Pretty sure my lever is long because there is room for more than 4 fingers even ( so should I use 4?)

When you say " at all times" does that mean one should always be covering the brake/clutch? Coming up to corners and stops felt right but while accelerating and at high speeds I feel way safer gripping the handle bars with all fingers!

74demon 04-14-2012 04:52 AM

Dont put any fingers on the levers when youre not using them.

That Guy in Maine 04-14-2012 10:35 AM

Wait...what?

I've been riding mountain bikes since I was 3 or 4, since I started using bikes with levers the number one rule was to keep at least two fingers resting on the levers. I know in mountain biking the terrain changes quickly so I never ride with all my fingers on the bars, that greatly reduces my reaction time and doesn't feel right. I transferred the same thing over to my street bike, I rest my fingers on the levers all the time, I don't see a reason not to.

Just my $0.02

74demon 04-14-2012 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine (Post 1149916)
Wait...what?

I've been riding mountain bikes since I was 3 or 4, since I started using bikes with levers the number one rule was to keep at least two fingers resting on the levers. I know in mountain biking the terrain changes quickly so I never ride with all my fingers on the bars, that greatly reduces my reaction time and doesn't feel right. I transferred the same thing over to my street bike, I rest my fingers on the levers all the time, I don't see a reason not to.

Just my $0.02

to each their own. riding styles vary from person to person and road to road. i ride mountain bikes as well and i keep fingers on the brake too, but there is no throttle to twist. if your riding hard on a good road or the track, your fingers wont have time to get off the lever. on a road with longer straights or cruising around, i see no need to rest on the levers. but that's just my opinion....