Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.
View Poll Results: Best method to change your line in mid-turn
Use the brakes
9.52%
Throttle up / down to change your lean
4.76%
Counter-steer to widen / tighten the turn
42.86%
A combination of the above options (explain)
42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Best way to change your line mid-turn?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Countersteering is ALWAYS underutilized. Most new riders don't know what it is and won't believe it when they do hear about it. It's all about physics and your front tires' (small) contact patch changeing directions as you steer. Accident statistics show that most riders confronted with a vehicle pulling out in front of them will instinctively jerk their handlebars away from that vehicle and countersteer (unknowingly) right into the center of what they are trying to escape.
It takes your brain too long to think "If I turn left I'll go right". If you have ever ski-ed, use the same technique. To turn, you follow your front hand. Right hand planted out front, turn right. Left hand, left. Same thing riding! Right hand out, turn right. Left hand out, turn left. Practice this until it becomes automatic. When safe, c/steer around holes, bumps, marks in the road. Guarenteed to save your life and you'll have more fun riding!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Countersteering importantest

Not many new riders understand countersteering. Having riden bicycles most of their life they think motorcycles react the same.
Police and accident investigators have long wondered why so many bikers T-bone vehicles at intersections. It is because new and not so new riders instinctively jerk their handlebars away from trouble in a panic situation, not understanding that they are countersteering INTO the car.
When the front wheel of a motorcycle turns left, at more than a parking lot speed, the oval shaped contact patch of the front wheel also turns to the left- shifting its center- causing the weight above it to fall in to the RIGHT. The opposite happens when you turn right.
Because the brain thinks too slow to always try to remember "Turn to the right to go left" and "Turn to the left to go right", I have a GREAT TRICK I learned to teach you to countersteer instictively.
If you have ever skied, you learn the natural rhythm of planting your right hand out front to turn right. You place your left ski pole out front to turn left. Sort of a dance.
Same thing when riding. Slide your RIGHT hand out to turn RIGHT and your LEFT hand out to turn LEFT. Again you'll feel like you are in a dance. You will turn 100% more effortlessly and more effectively.
Practice this every ride until you do it instinctively. WHEN IT IS SAFE, countersteer around each hole, bump, mark in the road you can. Smoothly turn left-right (or right-left) and see how neatly you get where you want to be.
Any time you get into an increasing radius corner too fast, don't panic-don't jam on the brakes- countersteering into the corner will amaze you. (Remember, slide your hand into the corner) Also important- don't look at (be hypnotized) by the car, banking, wall, or place where you don't want to go or you will go there. Keep those eyes well ahead of you where you WANT to go and do not look away.
It's unfortunate, but in todays world, I accept no legal responsibility for the above advice. Use common sense.