Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

Revs way to high

Old 03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Default Revs way to high

Hello fellow Forum members sorry I haven't posted for a while. I have been a little tied up with school and such. So I haven't been tinkering or riding much, but i have been collecting parts .
3 winters ago my F2 met it's fate with a UPS truck and it's red light running @$$. I walked away from it "glad I wore my helmet" !!! my F2 was trashed frame wise. I salvaged what I could off it and bought a 1996 F3
last summer for 300$ motor turned over so that's all I cared about. between the two bikes and a few extra wiring harnesses fairings and other misc parts I had what i needed to finally build my Street fighter. so here is what the Frankenstein is composed of::

1996 cbr frame motor brakes wheels forks and suspension
1994 cbr gas tank and carb ... no fuel pump no fuel filter "gravity fed"
1995 cbr wiring harness.

I cleaned the carbs out I have not synced them as of yet but had them synced b4 the wreck and they are not clogged in any shape or form.
I put the fuel lines and vacuum lines in then sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs " I removed the airbox for diagnostic purposes" it starts and idles as high as it can I checked the cables and its all good i adjusted the idle adjustment screw all the in and it barely wants to combust then i back it out like 2 turns and it jumps up to like 14k rpms I'm no mechanic but I am usually good at figuring out issues like this
but it has me a bit stumped choke on or off it jumps in idle the idle adjustment screw seems to be the only thing that makes a difference.

Last edited by messenJAH; 03-01-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

First sync the carbs, THEN you do idle adjust. The sync is needed first, that assures
that they are all drawing the same volume of air. Then you close down the pilots,
each in turn, till the engine starts to stumble, then open to where it just smooths.
Each time after you do a barrel, you adjust (with the cable ****), your main idle
to hit your target RPM, then go to the next, same thing...next, same thing, etc.

Don't forget to have the bike fully warmed up before you do either task.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Smile

that sounds solid. I appreciate it, I'm going to borrow my bro's carb sync tool and try it out next week. I mean the jets n stuff were clean but the carb has sat for a while and probably is out of sync.
been wrestling with a lot of issues on this rebuild its been frustrating but satisfying each step of the way plus I learn something new everytime. I'm glad someone could show me some clarity in my hour of confusion..