Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

Opinions on headlight setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions on headlight setup?

I'm sorta new to the bike scene, and I just purchased this bike and one of the few things I dont like about it is the Cyclops headlights on it. They are really dim and just dont go with the bike I dont think.

What would be some good swaps or bolt on headlights (or simply modded setups) to run on it, and keep the fighter look?

Name:  null_zpsdb1a7aea.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  52.5 KB

Something like this?

Name:  01511d93aef78943438da3c450ac9a84_zps18faaf86.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  119.2 KB

Let me know your opinions or what you guys have done.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the single round headlight easy to put on and looks decent. I have one on my hurricane.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 PM

What about a set of dual round lights like Buell runs?

Name:  BuellXB9S3_zpsc7b34441.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  88.8 KB

Old 08-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AirmanSkee
Something like this?

Let me know your opinions or what you guys have done.
I've used that headlight.

And it is a PIECE OF SH*T! It basically goes for all of those Taiwanese headlights. There are also some that are made in America - and they're a lot more expensive. While I haven't personally used those, I've heard they're very similar.

A) They have very specific bulbs. They look like your basic "run of the mill" 1157 bulb from any auto store. However, they have this little ridge on the rim by the plug that won't let you use an 1157. I was only able to find them at a local scooter store.

B) The bulbs started blowing very often. I averaged 1 a week! (While I was waiting for my new V-rod headlight - I ended up going through at least 2 a week)

C) The cheap plastic melts

D) If you think you can't see anything at night with your Acerbis - wait until you run those - I couldn't see ANYTHING. And then the light would blow out!

If you're like me at all - I wanted to keep the headlight close and tight. I didn't want the headlight to stick out. These headlights stick very far out. I eventually cut and modified it so it would fit right. The overall design looked pretty good - but it ended up being a real POS.

Unfortunately, that old adage about getting what you pay for really rings true with regards to headlights. Those Buell headlights are very good. And as far as good headlights go, they're pretty cheap.

I'm using this on my fighter. MT-03 headlight
Name:  UrbanHeadlight_opt.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  22.3 KB

I've also used this. V-rod headlight

I liked the V-rod, it just didn't go with my dirty bars. But, if you're keeping clip-ons, I think it'd look great.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 PM

I do really like that MT-03 light setup. How hard was that to mount up to our bikes? And I understand what you mean about the cheap lights. I just meant a setup like those, with a little plastic around it but a good light. Something small and sleek. I will definitely look into that MT03 light.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mt-03 is a sweet setup. Iwanted to use iton mine but it did not go with the wrecking yard look of my bike.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 PM

I think it would tie in the front alot better with my bike. And if it is an OEM headlight setup it HAS to be better than this Amazon special. Now, where to find a good one that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 PM

I think it would tie in the front alot better with my bike. And if it is an OEM headlight setup it HAS to be better than this Amazon special. Now, where to find a good one that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?
That's the thing - finding one that isn't off an OEM fiche. Basically, I always check the classifieds (forums, CL, etc.) and ebay. Specifically for the MT-03, there are a few companies that make knock-offs that are as good as the real thing. I ordered mine through Ebay Italy. It was labeled as a Ducati aftermarket headlight - it ended up being an actual Yamaha MT-03 surplus headlight. It still cost about $250 though. And I know that it's about 5X as expensive as those Taiwanese ones... But that's a lot cheaper than the $450 LSL urban headlight (same thing). The reason they're so expensive is because you can't find used ones on ebay. That's because the USA never got the MT-03

I tried the $45 type masks - and as you could see from my first post - they suck. I then used a V-rod headlight (and I got it for around $100 on ebay). After that, I sold it and saved up for the MT-03 light.

Now, those Buell headlights are a helluva lot cheaper. And they're projectors - which is nice. As an OEM piece, they actually hold up over time too. Plus, there's lots of left overs at Harley dealerships that the dealers are not too keen on keeping, you could always make an offer on them and see if the dealer would accept it.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:37 AM

I will definitely look into a set of those Buell projectors then, but see what I can do about switching that setup around though, since the fairing piece that is with it also houses the gauges and such.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:46 PM

I will definitely look into a set of those Buell projectors then, but see what I can do about switching that setup around though, since the fairing piece that is with it also houses the gauges and such.
Oh, don't worry so much about that. Fitting gauges is very easy. Especially on the F4i. They have plates that mount to the ignition to hold it.

01-03 HONDA F4I GAUGE BRACKET - $49.00 : On-Point Performance, Motorcycle Stunt and Performance Parts

Quick Reply: Opinions on headlight setup?