CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Fighters (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/)
-   -   Conrice's 954 FIGHTER build thread (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fighters-105/conrices-954-fighter-build-thread-127508/)

mika_u 02-17-2013 11:02 AM

If i remember correctly oem limiter is 12250 and the pinmod is 12600. My build actually got little bit out of hands. The original plan was to get the engine refreshened whit 980 kit, port the head and cams. The 954 engines bore to stroke ratio which has even increased whith the +1mm piston is very small. And lot more compression has to move the power lot up in the rev-range and add allso the cams + 20hp more flow in the head in there allso. Stock 2008 Kawasaki 10R makes peak hp at 12100 rpm and it has +1 mm stroke compared to 954. I have seen 954 whit exhaust and flapper mod make peak hp at 12100 rpm. If it needs more revs to make more hp thats what it will get. I think it's little pointless to build a engine which makes peak hp near 13000 rpm and has limiter set at 12250 rpm.
I actually thought that power wouldn't raise so high but i been assisted by a man who builds bikes for living and races drag whit NOS ZX-14 and first he asked how much the head flows, bore, stroke and compression. Then he said the oem rev-limiter will by way too low.
I have been looking for the rods and crower custom billet rods is about 800$. Falicon have one set of knife rods left over for the 954 and they are 1000 $. Carillo 1300$ and they are maded only from order so they take about 8 weeks to be ready. And the other concern is the valve springs. Not sorted that thing out yet. Kibblewhite and ape makes ti-retainers but no springs. They will calculate the spring rate at the dyno shop from my cams and moving mass of the valvetrain and desired rpms to see what spring rate i will be needing and then i can start searching the springs. I will get custom made springs if that's what needed. Do you happen to remember what was installed spring height of the oem 954 springs? My engine head isn't fully ready from porting yet so i won't be able to measure it before i get the head back.

Conrice 02-18-2013 02:40 PM

i don't remember the spring height, but i have searched long and hard for aftermarket valve springs and i haven't found any. i, like you, wanted to go aftermarket

you can find tons for the 1000rr, but they're indeed different. they adjusted the valve angle and the springs need to be longer on the 1krr. so they can't work. i haven't looked into too many other bikes though. but i'll tell you, i've searched everywhere for valve springs specifically for the 954 and i've come up with nothing.

this was such a weird bike. it didn't really race (honda was still pushing the rc51) and it has small displacement (it gave up 45cc to other literbikes)- so there wasn't ever really a huge aftermarket for the 954 except for exhausts, grips, mirrors, etc. there wasn't ever really any aftermarket motor mods. HRC didn't do too much, neither did anyone else.

mika_u 02-19-2013 05:07 AM

I don't have a choice. The oem springs can't handle my cams even whit oem limiter. I planned using the older 900RR aftermarket springs because they share same retainers, valve stem seal, same size lifter( not same). Actually 1000RR springs could fit if you shim them but they are made for lighter valves(4mm stem and shorter valve). Physically you should be able to fit them but probably will be not stiff enough (1000RR and 929/954 have same lifter).
HRC has made different variations of cams and valve retainer(ti)/springs set for the 954 but hasn't been available for many years.
I've have seen 4 types race bike from the 954: Annadales Ama 954, Erions stroker Ama 954, HRC JPN endurance 954 and some private racing 954 in the U.K. series. And the only stroker was the Erion.
AMA PRO RACING CBR 954RR FACTORY BIKES F/S - Honda-Tech
All of these bikes made 165-190rwhp if i get it right.
I been looking if i could fit ti-valves from gsx-r 750 04-05 or 1000 k5-k6 or -08 10R Kawa. Should bring the valve train weight down but whitout modifications they won't fit. Full head is on ebay 100-300$ depending on what bike is it from.

edit. ordered the older cbr:s kibblewhite springs today. Whit shimming they should do the trick.

Conrice 02-19-2013 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by mika_u (Post 1217554)
edit. ordered the older cbr:s kibblewhite springs today. Whit shimming they should do the trick.

damn! i thought about kibblewhite springs. let me know how they work out! i'll be very curious to see how they work out

the busa boots came in today. they fit to the bottom of the 1krr TBs perfectly! they are a tad loose on the intake side - but i might have a way around that. i'll know more tomorrow when i can try a few things. but i'll tell you this much. there is no overlap/or underlap of the boots on either sides which i'm surprised and happy with

mika_u 02-20-2013 04:29 AM

They should work actually fine. The oem springs give 122 lbs just before coil binding but they can't be installed that way because there won't be no safety marginal left. My intake cam needs 43# / 135 lbs if the limiter is set at 13500 rpm and the specs of the springs are 45# Seat Pressure / 135lb. at .400" lift and they are ok up to .480 lift so they can be shimmed for more pressure. Measurements of the springs:Up to .480" Valve Lift OK
OUTER SPRINGS MEASURE 1.475" FREE LENGTH , .117" SPRING WIRE DIAMETER , .930" OUTER SPRING OD

mika_u 02-20-2013 04:39 AM

The 900RR oem springs are little longer than the 954:s springs and these springs are little shorter than bought and i didn't find anywhere the intalled height of these springs so little shimming is probably necessary. I actually don't now yet will i use these springs only in the intake side and the intake oem springs at he exhaust. We didn't have the time to measure the exhaust cams sping need but it's lot milder than the intake.
Could you post some pics of the boots. I'm still wondering should i try fitting the 44mm or 46mm throttlebodies.

Conrice 02-20-2013 01:53 PM

6 Attachment(s)
mika, you'll have the same issues with either the 44 or the 46mm...

and i got the 46's on there with out any modification of the busa boot, TB, or valve intake.

all i did was:
1)I bought a set of boots for the 99-07 Busa (they use 46mm TBs).
2)Then i popped off the pinch rings that were on the bottom (valve intake side) of the busa boot. (they bottom out before they sufficiently pinch the boot onto the valve intake)
3)I replaced them with the valve intake side (bottom side) pinch ring off the 954 boots.

now they fit perfect. they are tight as could be. with the 1000rr TBs on there, i can not get the slightest wiggle out of the TBs. it's like they're a part of the motor.

last night i put the boots on the TBs. today was when i got the TBs onto the head. i was really worried because of 2 things: 1)the thermostat - there's not a whole lot of room and 2) the TB guides on the head (they seem to fit the 954 boots snug - i wasn't sure if the busa boots would go on.

but the throttle bodies and boots clear both without any issue whatsoever. i'm so excited, now i get to start building my plenum. woo

Attachment 34439
Attachment 34440
Attachment 34441
Attachment 34442
Attachment 34443
Attachment 34444
[IMG]

mika_u 02-20-2013 05:14 PM

Is the id/od same on the both 1000RR throttle bodies? How do they fit the concidering the air flow. How much should the intake valve side of the head be inlargened? Sorry for my crappy english :D
How to probably do some shopping on ebay soon!

Conrice 02-21-2013 05:25 PM

surprisingly, it's not that bad. there is a tiny bit i need to shave off of the inside of the throttlebody side of the boot. but only near the injector side (back side)of the boot. other than that, from the look i took last night - she's good to go. i didn't think it'd work out that well... but damn, it fits like it was made for it! (minus that tiny bit i have of rubber i need to sand off)

mika_u 02-22-2013 04:00 AM

What about velocity stacks and happen to now the main injectors size of the your throttlebodies because i will only use 4 injectors. I'm probably ordering chinese carillo copies for about 500 dollars. We have lot of turbo bikes using them producing 300-400 rwhp and not one failure of the chinese rods.