Street Fighters For the unconventional CBR builder.

02 F4i "Kool Reaper"

Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AirmanSkee
How do you say I get in between then motor and headers without removing it? Either way it would look better than the rusty dingy looking metal now.

So, after I messed up, what I did was I took a newspaper and lined the entire motor with it using duct tape. I made sure I had EVERYTHING taped up incase some wind came and blew some of the aerosol up on the tank, front wheel, air box cover, top fairing (Buell), etc. Once I checked about 3 times to make sure I had everything covered up - I just went at it from any angles I could find and made sure to stay far enough away from any part that would get too much build up. I ended up using almost the entire can! But it was even, and it looked pretty good. I can't say 100% that I got everywhere on the pipes - but I know I got everywhere you could ever see. I'm sure if you run a big piece of paper over your oil filter, motor, and head area that will seal the engine. Id run pieces underneath by the oil pan, and up to the tank covering the side covers. Then I'd tape over the header keepers or whatever you want to call them. Definitely make sure to cover the forks, tire, brakes, etc. Also make sure to cover your nice frame (it'd suck after your frame is so nice). Just, anything you can think of that could possibly get spatter. I even taped over the seats because I was using blue paint.

You'll see the directions on the can - They say to let it sit for 10 min. or whatever after you're done painting. Then you run the motor for 10 minutes, let it set, run the motor again for 15 min. or something like that. A couple of heat cycles from the motor treats the paint to where it will last. Now, because they're headers, you'll eventually need to do some touch-ups. But, definitely heed the directions. I was so pissed after letting the pipes sit out for a couple of hours drying. They looked so good. One light touch - and ugh...

BTW, the side covers look cool. Go for it when you get the chance

Old 08-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. I will definitely take that into consideration. Riding season ends up here pretty soon actually so I will do quite a bit of the stuff I can while its sitting over the winter. Paint and cosmetics mainly, since it runs like a dream right now.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 AM

Just another quick picture I grabbed after I loaded up my gear on it. Still rode like a dream, didn't even feel it back there.

Name:  null_zpsdae43d46.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  279.4 KB

PreLoad is still set to 5 and can't get it to crank down to 2 or so.

And the new gear I picked up. Can't beat the price of FREE for a MotoGP Kangaroo leather jacket and new in box helmet.

Name:  null_zps98e3fb93.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  115.6 KB

Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure I'm too crazy about a black/blue combo - How about you repaint the tank, front fender and rear fairing a complimentary blue?

Perhaps I'd feel better about it if I saw the whole bike in the metallic black.

On the headers, you could consider a sandblast job and a Jet Hot coating? Once done, it never wears off or goes away. Comes in lots of pretty colors, too.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:37 PM

I am going to keep te black and blue. The tank is going to be painted black to match the tail and front fender. And forked will probably be changed as well.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:23 PM

Pre-load on the rear? You need one of those C-spanner wrenches (or a good pair of channel lock pliers if you don't care about the paint on the pre-load ring) to adjust it.

BTW, I dig the black/blue. If it was a really dark blue - not so much, but the brighter blue doesn't really mess with the black at all.

Plus, I'm sure it really looks different in person. I know on that one pic where you have the close-up of the frame paint - that **** is good lookin'.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 PM

Yeah I tried with spanner wrenches and could NOT get it to budge. It's set on 5 right now. Figured I could drop it down to at least stock (2 I believe) which would crank the rear down a bit, right?

And I think it would look ALOT better once I clean it up, especially the wheels and chain.

What's your opinion on the silver left on it? Thinking of doing something with the pegs and such.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by AirmanSkee
Yeah I tried with spanner wrenches and could NOT get it to budge.
Then find some pipe laying around, put it on the c-spanner handle to increase your leverage. That should do the trick.

What's your opinion on the silver left on it? Thinking of doing something with the pegs and such.
It's up to you. I don't think the silver looks bad or anything like that. But it would probably "match" better if it was black.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM

Already tried that, and the whole shock spun. I was going to completely remove the shock and try to adjust it.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Well...damn...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 02 F4i "Kool Reaper"