Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

Thousands of bikers will take their last ride this year

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thousands of bikers will take their last ride this year

We all know that riding motorcycles comes at a risk. So does crossing the street and eating a ham sandwich. We dont need pictures of dead bodies to remind us of that. I say we keep crap like this off the website. Ride safe.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:31 AM

I think a lot of the problem is excessive speed too. I guess I might just be a ***** but I don't see the need in flying down a rode at 120 MPH. I know a lot of people here ride fast and do all kinds of stunts that are nice to look at but I think a lot of the injuries and deaths are from excessive speed. Now I know not all but I would say more than not are due to driving to fast.

Wether it is fake or not, that site really makes me think about riding. Those pics of the father with his kid really gets to me. I am a father of a 11 month old son and I can't imagine what it would be like for him if I got killed.

The bad thing is though, like it has been said, you can die from anything at anytime, so what do you do?? Just be safe I guess.......

Old 04-15-2006, 05:16 AM

that gave me a wierd *** feeling in my gut but its a reminder of what can happen when people dont pay attention but it doesnt discourage me from riding its my freedom

stay safe and watch out everyone

Old 04-15-2006, 08:10 AM

HOLY ****!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of those are nasty.

Old 04-16-2006, 03:39 AM

ORIGINAL: averagejock

That site is the most biased, image-based, false-fear inducing site Ive been to in a long time. That dude twists his statistics A LOT.

Facts: (gotten from DMV and confirmed with the creator of that site - ie. he knew the same stats I am giving you)

28% of all motorcycle fatalities involve alcohol on the riders part.
82% of all motorcycle accidents involve blame on the riders part.

"32 times more likely to die" only applies to you if you count yourself as part of the above statistics. Average, safe riders who ride smart arent anywhere near as dangerous as he claims.

ALSO

There were 44,000 motorvehicle deaths in 2003 (DMV stats) That works out to be 15.3 fatalities per 100,000 eligilbe drivers nationwide. That is %0.000153 of all drivers. EVEN IF WE ASSUME his "32 times more likely" and put ourselves in the same category as drunk and unsafe riders - %0.0045 of us annually will be fatalities. Sobering to think of I know - but the odds arent bad either.

LASTLY

His message is "Bikes are deadly to riders - DONT RIDE" His message SHOULD be "Riders can be deadly on bikes - BE SAFE." We can ceratainly use more web sites that promote safe riding. Not sites like his that use scare tactics to discourage people from enjoying safe riding.

STAY SAFE AND THINK FOR YOURSELF. DONT BELIEVE ANYTHING AT FIRST.
I agree totally.. I was involved in a fatal crash last new years eve and what I went through was hell but it would not and can not stop me from riding. I still to this day do not remember even removing my helmet after I got up let alone even remember getting up. the guy who I was behind was ripped in half and it still shows in my riding today.
We were taking some twisties and going pretty quick when it happened.... Turns out the rider was not skilled for this kind of riding and was going way past his limits.
the truth is that we all took risks that day and it could have been worse than it was, you never know what could pop out from behind the next bend or twisty.
I have much more self control now and keep my mind on what I am doing at all times....... not to say I wont ever wreck but at least I know I am doing whats right and I lower my chances of becoming a statistic.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:05 PM

No more riding for me today

Old 04-17-2006, 12:52 AM

So I don't get it, are they for or against motorcycles?

I'm sure if I tried I could dig up enough images and stories to make think twice about any form of transportation, including cars or planes. But doing so really wouldn't be useful. I'd get more out of this site if they offered some wisdom or lessons to take away from each of the accidents described. Just showing a bunch of gory pictures doesn't do much for me.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:21 PM

paste from the web:

The point is to ride safer. If you are already doing that, then spread the word.
Thanks for letting folks know that discussion and awareness make a differe

Old 04-19-2006, 02:02 PM

men that is nasty and scary. I bought my first bike this week and that site made me think about it twice. But I agree with what was said before. When you put all the accidents together, it looks really bad. All we can do is be safe and anticipate avery car's move. Be safe everybody.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:52 PM

To me, looking at websites like these are nothing. I've seen people get ran over right in front of my eyes and it hasnt bother me for one specific reason. Physics.

If you boil down riding a motorcycle, what do you think is going to happen to you if you hit a dump truck head on doing 120 mph on a 400 lb machine that is 1/5 the size of a car thats also built for one thing, speed. I understand that since that guy DID hit the dump truck head on going THAt fast, thats why his upper body is sperated from his lower body. physics......

do you think your body will stay together if you fall off of your bike doing more than 200 mph?

like i said, to me its all a matter of physics. the only reason i think this way is because if been working contracting all my life and ive seen countless people fall of building's and die for the same reason motorcyclists's die, and that is taking stupid risk's....

dont be stupid and always assume that anyone is capable of doing anything.

Quick Reply: Thousands of bikers will take their last ride this year