Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

I finally decided on a bike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn that chain looks fresh gotcbr

Old 09-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as getting ripped on insurance, NJ auto insurance is just like that... ridiculously expensive. Rider Insurance quoted me $2500 or so for the year. Allstate is around double what Progressive offers and etc. I'm gonna look up a couple more companies before I buy it.

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Congrats Ray! Welcome to the RC51 club!

I liken it to a P51 Mustang... Its unique & will never go outta style. Its just such a classic.

Gas mileage is poor but the RC51 was never meant to be a commuter bike. Compared to your R1, you'll notice it in your wallet. However, the joys of the ride usually outweigh the cost of fuel.
It'll have to do as a commuter until the winter. Next year I'm thinking about a Buell Blast or like a Honda CB599 as a cheap commuter, more for the sake of keeping the RC51 for the fun stuff and limiting miles. Considering I rode my R1 in Korea where a gallon of gas goes for $5-6, I don't think I'll really feel it. It's kind of funny when I hear complaining about how expensive it is here.

Just gotta say I've only ridden this bike around the block since I don't have a US license yet, but already I can tell it's miles ahead of the '01 R1 I rode. Brakes seem like I'm hitting a brick wall, the clutch grabs like a ****, suspension doesn't bottom out with my fat *** sitting on it, etc. Anyways, taking the MSF Basic Riders' Course this weekend, wish me luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM

congrats bud... i love the rc-51.. what a sweet ride man.. not a CBR but a step up, you aint goin nowhere man,,, a lamma with style....

Old 09-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Love it! I love the RC51s ever since I rode a friend's.

I want my next bike to be a Vtwin for sure. I just wish the 51s weren't so damn expensive to buy. Everyone who wants to sell one think they are worth what they paid for them despite they have a giant gash down the side.

Damn, I wish I never clicked this thread, because I want one so bad now!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raylee
...It'll have to do as a commuter until the winter. Next year I'm thinking about a Buell Blast or like a Honda CB599 as a cheap commuter, more for the sake of keeping the RC51 for the fun stuff and limiting miles...

Just gotta say I've only ridden this bike around the block since I don't have a US license yet, but already I can tell it's miles ahead of the '01 R1 I rode. Brakes seem like I'm hitting a brick wall, the clutch grabs like a ****, suspension doesn't bottom out with my fat *** sitting on it, etc. Anyways, taking the MSF Basic Riders' Course this weekend, wish me luck!
You're hooked now!

Good luck w/ MSF. Enjoy.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:57 PM

Hooray for RC-51's! I just picked one up today as well.

I guess it all depends where you are but my insurance came in at $96/month (full coverage, 6 months at a time.) However, this is in North Dakota with a multiple bike discount. I also get away with only insuring them part of the year due to the snow.

Attached Thumbnails I finally decided on a bike...-imag0267.jpg   I finally decided on a bike...-imag0278.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice lookin' dual Yoshimuras. Bet they sound good too! Noticed the seat as well.
Any other mods?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, raylee! Very nice!! I've always wanted one of those.....

btw, if you're interested in a set of adjustable levers for it...... I have a set of silver pazzo knockoffs. $45 shipped if you're interested. They look exactly like THIS
Just saying because I bought them a couple weeks ago and the seller sent me the wrong ones.
It's like $10 less than I paid, and I figured instead of sending them back you may want them...

Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Nice lookin' dual Yoshimuras. Bet they sound good too! Noticed the seat as well.
Any other mods?
Thanks for the nod on the pipes, so loud...

I'm just starting to get into the bike and figuring out what was all done to it. I purchased it from a dealer in Chicago who specializes in outrageous stuff (plenty of Aprilla, Ferrari, Bugatti, etc.) He ships throughout the US with our company so I got the bike in partial trade for some services and he didn't have ANY background on it. It just arrived in Bismarck, ND, today so I'm going to tear into this weekend.

So far I've found a few basics: Yoshi pipes, PCIII USB under the seat, Corbin aftermarket seat, frame sliders, and rear spools. I'm still trying to figure out what is stock and plan on counting sprocket teeth and all that good stuff this weekend.

Attached Thumbnails I finally decided on a bike...-imag0277.jpg   I finally decided on a bike...-imag0276.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 PM

Looks real nice, always liked the RC-51

Ouch on insurance....I am paying $32 a month for my 09 600rr full coverage.

Quick Reply: I finally decided on a bike...