Sights 'N Sounds This forum is for pics, vids, and sound clips pertaining to Motorcycles, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, etc.

The Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dragon

I found a kick *** video of the deals gap. Well, it's the first time I've seen it, I hopes it's new to most here. It shows a run through deals gap aka. the dragon, aka. the dragons tail...For those of us that haven't heard of it... it's a section of US route 129 in Tennessee that will slam 318 curves in eleven miles and the time of the run is 11 minutes. The posted speed I've read is 35 or 30 mph, you do the math.

http://motorcycles.about.com/gi/dyna...eTheater6.html

Enjoy

Old 10-03-2005, 09:25 AM
Default RE: The Dragon

Sweet video looks fun! what town is that near do you know? i wanna look into that!

Old 10-03-2005, 11:21 AM

Wow, that is sweet! Yeah tell us where that's located. There is one neat area like that around here called Kings Highway. The turns are extremely sharp and are even banked! Only problem is that it's only about 2 miles in length.

Old 10-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Retired Administrator

Here are a couple of links I found for it. It's in NC and TN, crosses the state line. I've checked into it and the locals say the police only patrol it after an accident. One of the pages I found also has the history and facts, it seems to average about 2 to 3 deaths a year. Check out the tree of shame... It's about 10 hours from me so I haven't talked myself into it yet.... but one day I will be that bored.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

http://www.dealsgap.com/

http://www.dealsgapforum.com/

Old 10-03-2005, 02:04 PM

One of the coolest sites you'll find about the gap is:

killboy.com

Guy takes pictures of everyone shooting the gap all day.

One of these days I'm taking a trip out there, but it's a long ride to TN from Denver. Also sounds like it gets pretty crowded and a bit scary at times with the big rigs coming through taking up both lanes and some idiots that cross the line in blind corners.

Still can't wait to slay the dragon someday.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 AM

oh man that is beautiful. do they keep that road clean or what. i wonder what kind of police presence they got there. mcvaaahhh get a hold of me if you ever decide to make the trek from co. looks like a blast.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:53 AM

I was reading one of the pages and it said that only after an accident did police patrol the gap. [8D]

Old 10-05-2005, 12:33 AM

I have riden the Dragon several times and let me say it is one of the most exciting rides I have ever been on. The curves are great and the road is usually in really good shape. the biggest problem is when cars go through the Dragon, they tend to cut the corners and when they do they usually cause wrecks. For the most part everyone is there to have a great time and enjoy one hell of a great ride. I live only about an hour and a half away so it is usually a every weekend trip with about 7 other guys and we ride it all day. Also the cops really dont mess with people while they are on the Dragon. I talked with a cop one day and they dont do anything so they are not in the way and so people wont run from then and cause more wrecks than already happen. Once you get out of the gap you have to watch out because the cops will get you there. Although alot of wrecks do happen out there, the first time I went, it was Honda Hoot 2005 and there was probably 3000 people there and the day I went there was only one wreck ( a guy tipped his gold wing pulling into the convience store and broke his leg, he was going about 5 MHP). its a great ride, anyone who gets the chance to go, should.

This is one of the better pics of me taken by Killboy.com
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...um=0&adjust=-1

Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 AM

I have rode up there one time and plan to go back several more.I had only been riding about two months the first time I went so I just took my time and went at my own pace.My buddies told me not to push it cause it will bite you in the a**.When the sign says 15mph,it means 15mph.You can deffinatly edge a set of tires out there.Don't try it with worn out tires either,you definetly want some grip.Have fun I know I did.