Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Thinking about a trip from AZ to LA, then up highway 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a trip from AZ to LA, then up highway 1

Hello all.

I'm thinking about a trip from Flagstaff, AZ to Los Angeles(Pasadena), then up California 1 along the coast all the way to Arcata to go look at a college. Google shows about 1,250 miles each way. I only have 9 days for the whole trip. I'd probably pick up a decent tent and camp on the way up and back to save money.

Any suggestions for the trip? Estimates as to how much I should budget? Gear recommendations? Random tidbits of knowledge.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like an ambitious trip given your time frame. I encourage you to do it w/ proper planning & preparation.

Break into categories…
  • · Route(s) & Scheduling
  • · Bike prep
  • · Packing
Know you’re route ahead of time & try to make your destination points fairly close to schedule. Make your distance goals but give yourself leeway to take frequent breaks w/o being rushed. You’ll discover that good breaks are the key to distance riding. They’ll keep you fresh & your mind alert.

Speaking of fresh, I’ve found that wearing earplugs really helps in this regard as well. They keep out excess wind noise but still allow you to hear what is going on. I think you’ll find after a long period of riding w/ earplugs that you’ll be fresher at the end of a ride…& will feel like riding for longer periods. Often on longer rides, I’ll listen to my mp3 player. I use Skull Candy buds that really have a good seal on my ears. However, I still alternate btwn earplug use & my mp3. Point is, keeping out excess wind noise to keep you fresher.

Designate someone you'll keep informed of your approximate location & route for the day/leg. You can do this via text, email, blogger, etc. If something were to happen to you w/o anyone knowing where you were, they wouldn’t know where to look. Reason I bring this up is… There was an older gentleman last yr that disappeared on his trip. Nobody really knew where to look. They eventually started tracking his gas/cc receipts & worked out from there going the direction he was supposed to be traveling. Word got out via internet forums & volunteers started looking for him. He was eventually found dead. His bike had gone off the side of the road. He died but might have been found in time to save his life had someone just known his route.

Prep your bike for the trip… Change your oil & filter, fill radiator fluid, check brakes & brake fluids, check tires, chain, & overall condition. You may want to carry a small can of chain lube to keep the chain healthy.

Also, carry a small tool kit w/ just the essentials. Get a tire repair kit & learn how to use it b/f the trip. You can’t depend on being able to get a tire repaired just anywhere. A good tire repair kit can be a real lifesaver.

As far as packing goes... Less is more. Not saying to be under-prepared, instead pack only what is absolutely necessary. Make lists & pair down to basic essentials. Test pack things into your saddlebags/tankbag/etc. There are items you’ll want ready access to b/f others. Find the optimum placement for your needs.

Remember that you'll be riding many of those 9 days & comfort is key. You'll want good & proper gear for the trip. If you already have that, you're ahead of the game. I'll say this, a good rain-suit is worth its weight in gold. If you don't have one, get one. You may not need it but if you do, you'll thank yourself later.

Road trips, whether for fun or business, can be very rewarding & enjoyable given the proper planning & preparation. Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by gotcbr; 02-04-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: line spacing