Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

Vietnam 2014, The 'Bears Winter Sojourn

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did a little bit of research on this as the bear was and is considered sacred in many siberian and pre-christian pagan Finn religions so I thought I could dig up a cool name from them, but turns out the bear was in fact SO sacred you were not to ever look one in the eyes, or speak it`s true name out loud or a swift and violent retaliation from above will follow, so there is an abundant of creative euphenisms to choose from, for example the Finnish mesikämmen which quite straightly means honeypaw.

Here`s a few to choose from:

Miška - Russian pet name for bear

Ásbjorn: Old Norse name composed of the elements as "god, divinity" and bjorn "bear," hence "divine-bear."

Nanook: Inuit (Eskimo) myth name of the master of bears, meaning "polar bear" in Inuktitut.

Artio: An ancient celtic bear god, told to be the origin of the Russian name Artyom, and the western Arthur.

Had a couple more (better ones) earlier today, I`ll see if I can remember them later...

Old 05-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gott im Himmel ! I think I have something

MaxIvan geddit !

Old 05-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Day 6,7 & 8, Phong Nha

A day in the life of a Ural motorcycling tour guide.

Actually it is a couple of days combined with photographs from various spots throughout the tour.

Get up at 5.30 or 6 am and scratch the bits that need scratching over a coffee. Take in the view..

Hmmmmmmmmm…………………………………

Then hop in the shower to shave and clean up for the big day ahead while………….

The water buffalo wallow in the mud outside our side window preparing for the heat of their day.

Ride the 12 kilometres out to the Farmstay filling the Ural with fuel on the way out. Find the passengers for the day’s tour, give a bit of a spiel about the day and head off.

Stop at various places in the Phong Nha Ke-bang National Park talking about the Karst formations, wildlife, insects, Ho Chi Minh trail, and the various cave systems.

All to some of the most stunning scenery you will ever see.

More riding to other Ho Chi Minh Trail significant spots…………

With the tourists obviously enjoying the experience.

Then to Tra Ang bridge over the river of Diesel and Blood, part of the original Ho Chi Minh Trail leading to Khe Sanh (still 200km south), but later a cross-road where Highway 20 crossed on its way into Laos when the trail moved after the trail in Vietnam was too heavily bombed.

The insect life at this junction had to be seen to be believed…………

Butterflies are free!

Then it’s off to Paradise Cave where the guys disappear into the cavern for a couple of hours.

Where giant Orb-Weaver spiders can be found at the edge of the jungle. For the Ural tourists it is however a precursor to a picnic lunch by the riverside.

where the water is very blue and inviting. This river although about 30 kms from the sea is tidal.

Then it is into the Dark Cave for a walk through mud and a swim about 600 metres back into the cave.

Then it’s wending our way home through ancient villages along the Song Can River

Crossing suspension bridges that the Ural just squeezes onto.

Ending up near sunset at the major bridge just outside Phong Nha looking back to the village and vast karst formations.

Then a bit of shopping from the local markets with Mrs SB and…………….

A little maintenance to the Ural to keep it running in tip-top condition.

It’s a tough job!

Cheers, The Travelling ‘Bears

PS: Keep the names coming for the Ural, Mrs SB will make a choice tomorrow night. There have been a few come in via email from Australia so we will list them as well.

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 05-05-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story and pics thus far.

On the contest, I believe I saw that Ural in an Indiana Jones movie - 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'.

Thus, my nomination is "Indy".

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 05-05-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 05-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Has the man who was once dyed in the wool ATGATT, gone native?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"All The Gin All The Time" ........is this case Woof , a different form of ATTGATT

Old 05-13-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, we've been a bit slow getting back onto the forum and finalising the competition!

We have both been working quite hard getting the house set up and back into a fairly hectic work routine.

I have a day off today, so once I drop Mrs SB off to the Farmstay, I'll do a little update.

It's been tough though .................

No respect for the tour guide!

Cheers, SB

Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know as well as I do Seb, that respect is something that is earned, not automatically given. Did they still feel the same way at the end of the tour?

Last edited by kiwi TK; 05-15-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
You know as well as I do Seb, that respect is something is something that is earned, not automatically given. Did they still feel the same way at the end of the tour?

The usual TK - and I am not joking - is...............

words and adjectives can not describe today ( I think they mean it in a good way!)

The girls from Mount Torrens are just lovable larrikins

Cheers, SB

Old 05-14-2014, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

So things have been a bit hectic ok!

Ben from the Farmstay is having a 1984 (?) Honda XL125 rebuilt from the ground up

The British Caving Expedition leader - and co-discoverer, with Ho Khanh of the largest cave in the world - Hang Son Dong - Howard Limbert gave a talk one night at the Farmstay.

People from all over the world stay where we are, and here's one forTK. Her boyfriend hails from down your way.

I love Wanaka!!!

The insects and arachids have all blossomed for summer

butterflies

Huge stick insects and...................

This digger wasp towing a huge Huntsman like spider back to its nest

Selfies on a Ural - whoodathunk???

I went into Paradise Cave with the Mount Torrens Girls

And it was cool and beautiful

The usual blazing sunset followed by spectacular lightning shows most nights

We celebrated CBR Forum member Robster's 50th at night and the cake hadl ittle gummy bears on it!

Mrs SB and I had to go into Dong Hoi to sign for our Vietnamese motorcyclelicenses. The took a passport photo and because I wasn't wearing a tie, photoshopped my head onto someone else's body who was wearing a suit and tie. Spooky!

Old Dong Hoi city gate.

High tech slide for building rubble

Fishing boats in Dong Hoi harbour

And the sunrise of another day..........

Apparently come early October the whole town floods, so we will probably be looking to decamp before then

For a working holiday, the holiday part seems to have taken a slight back seat. We wake at 5 am, Mrs SB is in the office by 6.30 (knocks off at 2), I leave on tour at 7.30 and am usually back somewhere between 4.30 and 6.00pm.

Still, I'm riding bikes every day, which I enjoy, talking, which I enjoy and get to experience some of the most spectacular scenery every single day.

Would I swap? No way!

Cheers, The Travelling 'Bears

Last edited by Sebastionbear1; 05-14-2014 at 05:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Vietnam 2014, The 'Bears Winter Sojourn