Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

Quick ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Quick ride

Just got back from a 1,535 mile 4 day ride. My brother and a friend rode with me west to us to Letchworth State Park for some camping. We then continued to Mid-Ohio in Lexington, OH for the vintage motorcycle days and more camping. We than headed off to Carlisle, PA for Motorcycle fest and more camping.

It was a hot ride with temps around 98F (36C) to 105F (40C) over the road. At night it was 90F (32C) while trying to sleep. On the last leg home my brother and friend wanted to put rain gear on due to a storm we were heading into. When we were fueling up they asked me what I though and I said," You can do what you want but I am not putting rain gear on." What sucked is that I didn't get wet in a huge down pour at 80 mph. I got a little wet around my shoulders from water dripping down from my helmet and that dried off in the blast furnace coming out from under the storm. It was a hot ride, a real hot ride. I only wished that I got wet.

I had fun anyway, regardless of the heat.

Attached Thumbnails Quick ride-camp1.jpg   Quick ride-camp2.jpg   Quick ride-camp3.jpg   Quick ride-bikes.jpg   Quick ride-dam.jpg  

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-25-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow , hot is right not sure I'd have survived , at least not without the required refreshments

Nice pics TBT .......... How was Carlisle ?

Last time I was there was for a Merkur rally / meet.

Last edited by Sprock; 07-25-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:35 PM

I added a photo of the dam that holds flood waters back at Letchworth. In this post you can see the "Grand Canyon of The East". It is empty and waiting for rain. This thing is 15 miles long. In the link for Letchworth in my first post, you can see the thing full. Click continue in the bottom of the link to go to page 3 and you can see the thing full in 1972. That's one hell of a lot of water. WOW!

Yep, Sprock! It was hot. I posted our camp sites in order. The only bad rap was in PA. On our last night, nothing, due to PA laws. We were dieing for a cold brew but in PA.

In PA you can only buy beer from a pub. You can only buy up to 2-6 packs at a time. (There were no pubs around.)

In PA you can go to a beer distributor but you can only buy an un-opened case. (They closed at 9:00PM and it was 9:30)

In PA you have to buy liquor and wine from a state store and they close at 9:00 PM. (once again it was 9:30)

I did have a lemonade with my prime rib that night. Yuck!

I had two ladies say," It must be nice to be on those bikes in this heat with that air moving around you."

My reply, "Only if you like climbing into a convection oven and getting cooked slowly."

At 98.6F core temp and 105F blasting you for 6 hours, it was damn hot my friend.

Edit: I think I cooked my stuffing out of my TB. I either did that on our NS to ME run that day or this heat cooked it out. Wow it is loud now. Coming into Pittsburgh, PA there is one tunnel and one going out. On the PA turnpike we went through 4 more. In one tunnel I dropped her down into second and wound her tight. HOLY-BEEEE-J-SUSSSS! That thing is loud in there.

Attached Thumbnails Quick ride-valley.jpg  

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-25-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:41 PM

Bet it was man ..... nice dam pic

Old 07-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Bet it was man ..... nice dam pic
Just did an edit that you should see.

There was a Bald Eagle flying down around the dam. It rode the current up and barley over the top. Then it came up over us and went up and up. When it got up over several vultures it dumped ballast. I think it id it on purpose. It actually chit on the birds below.

Saw a blasted black bear on the shoulder on I-88 coming home and was thinking how it would suck to hit one on a bike.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great stuff Chris. Glad you made it to Vintage at Mid-Ohio. I missed it this year. First time in 5 I think. That's a tough ride into a hairdryer. Would have been fun to meet up again, specially without that deadweight Sprock! HeHe.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 PM

Wow , amazing coming from the man who's always au derrier ! lol

Well at least next time not only will you not be seen now you'll also not be heard hee hee hee

Old 07-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by cb2cbr
Glad you made it to Vintage at Mid-Ohio.
While walking around, I kept thinking that it's a good thing that I was on a bike. Had this event been up the road from me I'd have purchased at least 4 bikes at $500. There was a lot of good stuff there. A couple of CBXs and other oldies. From Nortons to BSA and all in between.

My friend stopped dead in his tracks and asked,"What don't you hear?" The answer is the blatting of Harleys. They were all in Carlisle, PA however.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have told me you were going to be in carlisle! Me and nate were talking about coming up there that day.
I could have at least brought you some ice cold beer and whiskey.
Or hell...... you could have just drank it in my air conditioned house. lol.. (I live 40mins from carlisle)

Regardless... cool trip and pics, man.