CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

could someone do me a quick favor before their next ride please?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could someone do me a quick favor before their next ride please?

could one of you wonderful 954 owners pull off your seat while your bike is warming up and feel the stator wires and the R/R when the bike is at full temp please maybe after a short spin too? as you know i have been having trouble with mine and i want to compare with other people to see, My R/R after a short ride was hot enough to burn my hand, stator wires were getting gooy Thanks anyone and everyone!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: could someone do me a quick favor before their next ride please?

Sure i can do that tomorrow. Whats the R/R though

Old 07-18-2008, 01:28 AM

Thanks TK! i appreciate it. but seriously a few more beers and your avatar might make me upchuck lol

R/R is the crap box on the left of the subframe right behind the seat, im fairly sure you were making a funny but i also have not slept in a couple days, everything gets a little distorted after that. Thanks for the help though! Ill be awake in about 7 hours to start working on it again.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Actually HC i really didnt know what part the r/r was, i was thinking a relay of some sort but didnt know. As far as the avatar goes im stuck with it for now, i tried to change it but it wont upload a new one atm.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:11 PM

lol that funny about the avatar. yea the Regulator/Rectifier(R/R) is a black box with cooling fins on it, its mounted on the left side of the subframe on the ouside of it, behind the seat, you have to kinda look back from the front of the bike under the tail fairing, but you dont have to remove the tail fairing, just the seat. It has three yellow wires going to the stator plug and five other wires going to the main harness. the yellow wires are the ones im concerned with along with the actual R/R. i touched it and could not keep my fingers on it.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:14 PM

the wires also get to point of making the electrical tape around them gooy and soft, I dont know if this is normal or not but the three wires coming from the stator are the ones that melted completely through themselves and melted all the way through my undertail last time and i want to be sure that being hot is normal and that they are not going to do that again as long as they are "normal" hot and not melting hot. I have a feeling though that i might have a bad battery or R/R that is causeing the problem. not sure. Thanksa lot for the help TK! Your the man!

Old 07-20-2008, 02:53 PM

I can tell you right off the bat that your system is getting way too hot!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:31 PM

thanks, thats what i needed to know

Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I kinda figured CBR was right, but i didnt want to open my mouth till i could say for sure. After a quick ride this evening i can verify also, the box is maybe warm, wires not at all. I would think that it being hot means your shorting, or losing ground somewhere.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks TK, i appreciate it, I figured thats what you were gona say [:@] and it helps me to know that i for sure need to be looking for something, in the meantime i was searching for a short since someone(i cant remember who) suggested that might be the cause and sure enough there is a short somewhere. i unplugged every connecter one by one and tested for leakage and it indicated a short until i unplugged the gauge cluster.

Quick Reply: could someone do me a quick favor before their next ride please?