Road Trips Post up your road trips here!

First big blast!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First big blast!

Hi all. Have owned my hurricane for a few months now but here in oz were coming out of winter and there haven't been too many good days for riding for a while. Yeah yeah I know, poor form but I've been there done that with wet weather riding. Not soft but have moved on to pleasure riding from daily riding.

Anyway lets not get sidetracked. I've only done about 500km on this bike in the few months I've owned it 1989 model). But last weekend I put all other commitments aside and went for a proper ride.

My plan was to ride from home to Mallacoota (a town on the car southeast coast of Victoria). It's roughly 600km from home and I was looking forward to it immensely.

So I take off at 7am Saturday morning and was about half an hour into the trip and it was cold, cloudy and raining. "It's gonna be like this all along the south coast today" I said to myself, spirits dampened. So I did what any rider with a bike between his legs and a weekend with no plans would do. I changed my destination on the spot about 5km before a turnoff heading north. "Bugger this, I'm going to Ivanhoe instead. I'm heading north."

For those of you familiar with southeast australia you may know the small town of Ivanhoe in New South Wales. For those of you that don't, Ivanhoe is a tiny place with a population of about 250 people, located on a vast saltbush plain about 700km from home. Many people would think there's nothing to see out there, but I disagree. I love it. It's flat, it's hot, there's no one out there and the few that are are generally welcoming and friendly.

So here I am on my first decent trip on my new old bike and loving it! It's so smooth! It's so comfortable! It's so rider friendly this is going to be a breeze! I'm used to long distances on my Transalp and being a road/trail machine it doesn't peddle quite so well on the road. This was great!!

Passed through Kilmore, Elmore, Echuca to refuel. 280km down. On to Deniliquin, then onto the wide open plain heading towards Hay. Up here the throttle somehow opened up a bit and cruising speed went up around 130-140km/h. Man this thing is humming and wanting more (I wasn't though. This is enough for me). Got to Hay and refuelled again. Another 210km down. Quick break then north again through Booligal and on to Ivanhoe by 3.30pm to refuel just before the service station closed (well a shed with a bowser in front of it). Along this stretch the road disappears over the horizon. There is nothing here but so much at the same time. Kangaroos, emus, kites (large bird of prey similar in size to a wedge-tail eagle), big lizards, snakes, cattle along the road overseen by drovers from a time gone by, yep this is a great part of the world.

Anyway found myself some accommodation, very basic but that was fine by me. Went down to the pub for a few beers, great feed and brilliant fun with the locals. Absolutely great funny hospitable friendly welcoming people.

Next day did it all again in reverse (slightly different route but basically the same) and got home tired, a little sore but thrilled with having such a fantastic weekend!! Needless to say I love this bike and can't wait to get out for another blast!

Old 11-19-2012, 02:57 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Nice; glad you had such a great blast. It's just a good reminder that plans must be flexible, who knows what you will find.

Rigid flexibility, that's the key.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Great writeup Plasnart, and you give a good word picture of the countryside there. To be Forum harsh though; I must however add ....

We want to see pics of your bike on this trip.

I'm sure you will take this in the good humour it is intended and give us more writeups of your trips.

To help all other members, please give town details of your location in your personal details.

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 11-19-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
Nice; glad you had such a great blast. It's just a good reminder that plans must be flexible, who knows what you will find.

Rigid flexibility, that's the key.
Definitely kiwi. Usually I have a set plan so was a great feeling to hang a lefty unexpectedly and end up somewhere completely different to what was planned.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Naga_Thai
Great writeup Plasnart, and you give a good word picture of the countryside there. To be Forum harsh though; I must however add ....

We want to see pics of your bike on this trip.

I'm sure you will take this in the good humour it is intended and give us more writeups of your trips.

To help all other members, please give town details of your location in your personal details.
Only took a couple of pics on the phone naga so will post them up tomorrow when I get back on the pc.

FYI I'm in Geelong. Ill add that to my avatar. Fully agree pics make a difference but couldn't wait to post the trip and don't know how to add pics from the phone.

Cheers mate.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 AM

"FYI I'm in Geelong.'

With OzzyAL in Rushworth and others East and West that would make, say, Romsey an RV point for a Vic get - together?

http://tinyurl.com/cehanmb

Last edited by Naga_Thai; 11-19-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 AM

I'd be keen for sure naga. Maybe in January now getting to busy time of year.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Plasnart
I'd be keen for sure naga. Maybe in January now getting to busy time of year.
Your on!
PM sent.
We'll take the cameras for the RV & trip so we can tell many lies to the forum!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 AM

Trying to upload a couple of pics but keeps failing. Can't work it out. Bloody computers!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yes mate often ride up through Elmore , Echuca area , let us know when your about for a quick spin . we'll catch up

Quick Reply: First big blast!