Road Racing Tell your stories here.

Tips for Motorcycle Racing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for Motorcycle Racing

Not all of us are blessed with enough time and money to be able to join in a racing school and take all the necessary courses to improve our motorcycle racing skills. If this is your problem as well, you can still have success in your chosen hobby or profession just as long as you're willing to practice hard and make the most out of your free time.

Basic Motorcycle Racing Lessons:

1. Braking - Emergency stops are common in the field of motorcycle racing. This lesson however is difficult to learn so expect to spend lots of time falling on your butt while you're attempting to perform a successful emergency brake. The key to emergency braking is being fully conscious of what you're doing. There are many instances in motorcycle racing that you'll be required to make an emergency stop, and when you do, your movements will be initially instinctive and automatic. Although your instincts may be correct, you've a better chance of saving yourself - and your position in the race - if your mind's working as well. Also, when you're pressed with time, concentrate on making an emergency stop with the use of the front brake. Using both brakes requires too much concentration and coordination skills and would only further compromise your safety.

2. Counter-Steering - If you've read lessons about counter-steering, you might be finding this particular move difficult to understand. The only thing you should remember when counter-steering is the rule "like follows like". If you're going right then it's your right hand that should be doing the work. It may seem complicated at first, but constant practice will soon make this move as natural as breathing.

3. Cornering - Again, there are many instances that you'll be required to make this move so don't bother skipping this lesson and postponing it to another day. If you want to succeed in motorcycle racing, you need to corner this lesson right away! Firstly, practice making accurate calculations in a matter of seconds. One glance of your surroundings should be more than enough for you to learn the degree of which you're required to turn to the corner and the necessary speed and gear you should employ when doing so.
Secondly, braking must be employed BEFORE you access the corner. The last requirement is simple: you need complete confidence in yourself. Confidence is the only thing that will enable you to increase your speed as you move even if your instincts are screaming to do the opposite. Confidence will teach you to trust your instincts, know when it's the right time to turn, and maintain your stability as you drive in a leaning position towards the end.

Last edited by Sprock; 10-19-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I can't, from experience, comment on race-track braking, I feel I have the
skill/experience to do so on street riding....

By it's very nature, "emergency" braking is going to be instinctual and automatic.
The point is to practice, to condition that instinctual response to be the CORRECT one.

Every time, in my career, that I have had to stop suddenly to avoid/mitigate an
accident, I was reacting to almost subliminal clues that only became apparant
afterwards. By the time my brain caught up to events, it was a done deal.

I also feel compelled to dis-agree with ignoring the rear brake. While it only
contributes a smaller fraction of the over-all braking capability of the bike, it IS a
significant fraction. When the difference from crashing or no crash can often be
measured in inches, the extra feet scrubbed from your stopping distance could be the
difference. Proper use of the rear brake will. also, keep the front suspension from
loading up and breaking loose the front tire prematurely, due to wheel-hop.

The whole comment on both brakes requireing too much of your concentration/skill, to
me, indicates a lack of preparation/readiness to be on a track in the first place.

My sole motivation for these comments is aimed at the less-experienced riders,
who may base their developing skills on potentially mis-leading advice.

I hope this helps, Ern

Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 AM

FunBuddy - I think your overview is a good start however there are 3 major areas you didn't touch that are everything in racing...

ED Bargy Race School really pushes body positioning, push/pull techniques, and throttle control. The first and last of those three are the most important.

Body Positioning is everything during braking and on exit.. I have had the pleasure of riding on and off the track with some very fast guys and those are the two things they talk about most...

Old 01-04-2012, 09:43 AM

and maximum HPs ofcourse...

Old 03-02-2012, 02:51 AM

thanks for the information...

Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 AM

All of your comments are useful. I'm no racer; but I do ride track days and I'm very eager for any information I can get from guys know more than I do. Of course, assimilating that information and deciding what works and does not is entirely my responsibility. Thank you all for your comments and information.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:16 AM

vision is one of the most important aspects. Look where you want to go, look at the apex, look for GOOD (not bad and erratic) passing opportunities, and look for other riders and what they are doing. If you miss a corner or an apex and you run wide keep looking where you want to be.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:43 AM

hello,

i want to share some tips for motorcycle racing firstly that Increase your speed incrementally but also with the safety and keep focus on your vision and make your body position correct by Use your legs to move you around the bike, not your arms and Release the brake more slowly than you initially grab it. these tips useful for you.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Default Racing

This is an informative discussion thread to learn all the tips for Motorcycle racing.