Road Racing Tell your stories here.

all racers!! help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all racers!! help!

i've been fascinated with street bikes for as long as i can remember and have always wanted one but never had the money for 1, and for 2 my parents never let me have one...granted im only 20 years old i've wanted one for a while...i saved up my money and told my parents whats up and finally got my 06 cbr600rr this past summer...i love it...cant get enough of it, all i wanna do is ride!... i was happy with that untill i went to a superbike race at mid ohio and that was it, i was hooked! i've always been the kid pushing everything to the edge and sometimes over the edge but anyways i orderd "tiwist of the wrist" 1 and II and just trying to get as much info and knowledge so i can get started in racing....im currently looking into a racing school (www.superbikeschool.com) at mid ohio this coming summer. its cold now in ohio...i noticed there are some racers on this site which brings me to the whole point of this post wich is to get some suggestions/pointers/tips/ideas/guidance on what i need to do. maybe the steps you took?

Old 10-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Default RE: all racers!! help!

To be honest, The number one thing it takes is $$$ and lots of it.
The number 2 thru 10 is More $$$.

I would recommend you take baby steps
First start by take a racing school or two, the more the better.
Then start doing track days like a mad man. This will get you comfortable with the pace on track, and believe me it so much higher on track that you can even believe.

Now you need to get your license, you may be able to do this at the racing school, but it never hurts to take another school. Contact your local race origination (CCS, WERA, etc...) they will be able to recommend a course of action.

Decide if you want to race for fun or do it competitively, this will determine how much you're gong to spend.
Keep in mind The bike is probably one of the smaller $ amounts in racing. You're going to need to get set-up with a trailer, generator, spares, tire-warmer, etc... then there's traceling costs, bike set-up and prep, tires, etc...

If you want to do it for fun, a few races here and there, then plan on about $5000 - $10000 a year
If you want to do it competitively your going to shell out $15,000 +

I can give you a lot more info if you want, just shoot me a e-mail

Old 10-23-2006, 01:03 PM

jason aint kiddin, it takes some serious $ to do this
right now about 90% of my paychecks go to racing/trackday expenses, and whats left is for those annoying little things like food and shelter
I would honestly do a trackday or two before doing a full race school, that way you'll get more out of it
read the code books and Nick Ienatsch's book "Sport Riding Techniques" and watch a lot of races over the winter to get an idea of whats going on

Old 10-23-2006, 03:03 PM

It's expensive to go racing. On a typical race weekend, I spend about $1000 for track fees, tires, fuel, spare parts(you don't want to be caught at an event with a broken part that causes you to have to go home), etc. Add to that a few hundred dollars for track days to get as much seat time as possible. The race series that I compete is afforadable relative other race series; however, it's a significant amount of money. Over the years, I've competed in other race series that cost twice as much. Plus, there's the initial cost... bike prep, leathers and other gear, tire warmers and generator, trailer, tow vehicle, etc.

Aside from the cost, you also have to consider the time commitment. This includes travelling to and from races, to and from trackdays, time for race schools, motorcycle maintenance and reparing crash damage just to name a few.

That said, I think that the best way to get into racing is to take baby steps. Don't just show up at a track and go racing. Get as many track days under you belt as possible so that you become comfortable with the speed and the close proximity to other riders. Take a race school. Go to local events and talk to as many racers as possible.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:42 AM

I been wanting to get into racing too since the first time I watched motogp when I was a kid.I'm trying to find the way to get into it but it's hard.We need to know people in the business and have connections.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:52 AM

These guys ain't playin about the money. A couple years back I was road racing my mini NSR for like four years and even that is expensive. Getting started sucks but when you get everything bike, gear, plastics, tires, transportation, spare parts, and if you can't do it your self finding someone who can do the work cheap it's not too bad.But between track fees, engine rebuilds, tires, gas, oil and transporting this little hooptie to anywhere I can run this thing it takes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! This's the first year I'm going to track my big bike. Oh I can't wait to see how much more $$$$$$$$$$ it's going to cost me in the end.
All I'm saying is have fun and Good luck!