Road Racing Tell your stories here.

After 22 years Loris Capirossi is retiring.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After 22 years Loris Capirossi is retiring.

Capirossi Announces Retirement From Racing
by staff
Thursday, September 01, 2011

This just in from Pramac Racing:

CAPIREX ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

Loris Capirossi is saying goodbye to the motorcycling world. The Italian wanted to make the announcement at Misano, the home Grand Prix for the rider from the Bologna area. After 22 years of traveling around the world, the MotoGP veteran, winner of three world championships (two in the 125cc class, one in 250cc) thanked the Pramac Racing Team in during a press conference for having given him the opportunity to race his final season aboard a Ducati Desmosedici.

Loris Capirossi - Pramac Racing Team Rider

"It's an important moment in my career, and the decision I made has come about after a lot of reflection. I'm happy that after 25 years, of which 22 were in the world championship, I'm at a point where I can still have a smile on my lips as I part ways, even if it's difficult to think that I won't be riding a bike next year. I must think the many, many people who over the years have followed me, encouraged me, motivated me. That includes Team Pramac, who gave me my final opportunity to race a motorcycle. I'm sorry that I haven't brought home good results this year, but I'm confident for the final part of the championship. Motegi, Phillip Island, and Sepang are my favorite tracks, and I've won many races there. It will be difficult to get my hundredth podium, but I'll fight to the end. As for my future, I still don't have clear ideas. The only sure thing is that I won't be a racer anymore. In life, it's not easy to make these decisions, especially after so many years. Still, I'm sure that my new life will be thrilling, just like the one before it was."

Valntino Rossi was asked to speak and honed in on the battles at Sepang and Mugello in 2006 as well as sitting in front of the TV as a kid cheering for Capirex against Biaggi.

Casey Stoner called Loris "The best team mate I ever had."

The other old guy of the MotoGP grid, Colin Edwards, will announce his plans this evening, but he is expected to stay in the GP paddock.

For the record, Capirossi has so far competed in 324 GPs and won 29 of them; nine in MotoGP/500, 12 in 250 and eight in 125cc. Along the way he has picked up three world titles, the 125 in 1990 and '91 and the 250 in 1998. He has 99 podiums across all classes and wondered in the press conference if his fellow riders might like to help him make that 100 before he end of the year. Cue massive applause.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yup, that was expected. thats one hell of a career though. i bet most people in the world would feel amazingly lucky to have what he has. i know i sure as hell would. i wish this season would have gone a lil more his way though. too many DNFs, but thats racing.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Truly a memorable rider and fine ambassador for the Moto GP paddock.
I hope he continues to have an association with the sport as so many others have had, and he passes on his wisdom and experience to younger riders.
There are many who could learn a great deal from him, not only about skill on the track but in the areas of humility and willingness to help others along the way.
I too hope he manages the 100th podium before he completes his final race.
It would be most fitting.