Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

traffic Light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IIRC my MSF instructor said something about NYS law saying that a motorist may pass through a light after a 'reasonable' amount of time has gone by without the light changing... if the light doesnt work.. sometimes I hop off the bike and press the crosswalk button (dont laugh) ... it will make the light change.. for lighted turn lanes, if it fails to pick me up and goes through one rotation, I will go through it... can't stay there forever...

Adam

Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kickstand down and try cranking your bike. Cranking your bike is supposed to create an EM disturbance that might trigger the sensor if you're sitting on top of it

Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

idk if ive never noticed before but im almost positive most of the lights in my town run on timed shifts...although reading this has gotten me thinking and will now investigate every light i come too

Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by helghast7
idk if ive never noticed before but im almost positive most of the lights in my town run on timed shifts...although reading this has gotten me thinking and will now investigate every light i come too
try it on traffic lights when you are making a left turn.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm the first in line for a turn I try to stop as close to the intersection as I can so that any car that comes up behind me will also stop on the sensor. Sometimes they'll stop WAY behind me like they think I'm some gang member who is going to break their windshield if I think they're encroaching too close to my rear wheel. If the light doesn't change I'll look back and motion to get a little closer. You have to be careful with stopping too close to the intersection and also not go beyond the white line if there's a red light camera in the area or you'll risk triggering it and getting a ticket in the mail.

In my state we have a law where if the light doesn't change in a reasonable amount of time (I don't think there's a specific time period) we can proceed through the intersection if it clear and safe to do so. I'm not sure what would happen if there's a red light camera there.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
If I'm the first in line for a turn I try to stop as close to the intersection as I can so that any car that comes up behind me will also stop on the sensor. Sometimes they'll stop WAY behind me like they think I'm some gang member who is going to break their windshield if I think they're encroaching too close to my rear wheel. If the light doesn't change I'll look back and motion to get a little closer. You have to be careful with stopping too close to the intersection and also not go beyond the white line if there's a red light camera in the area or you'll risk triggering it and getting a ticket in the mail.

ROFL!!! The exact same thing happens to me! Even when I wave them to come closer.. they seem to stay away...

Old 08-07-2010, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by CAEM
try it on traffic lights when you are making a left turn.

hmm will definetly try it, however i know for a fact that one light in my town is 100% timed since when i watch it, no matter what time of day/night or whos at the light..even if im walking past it...it does the same sequence

which is probably why i assumed that they all run similar to that

Old 08-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No one has experience with the magnets? I to have wondered about them. Seems logical.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:45 PM

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/828731...raffic_lights/

check this out guys. seems logical to me too.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:18 PM

maybe its just my computer, but its not working

Quick Reply: traffic Light Problems