Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Total Control Advanced Riding Course convo

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013 | 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Going in April
Which location?

Old 01-17-2013 | 06:10 AM

I'm going to attend the Columbia, MD class on April 27. Right now, I'm waiting to see how much the IRS is gonna gank me for before I go suit shopping.

But at work I've scheduled those days off and a couple extra days before to go over Yolie with a fine tooth comb

Old 01-21-2013 | 01:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I'm going to attend the Columbia, MD class on April 27. Right now, I'm waiting to see how much the IRS is gonna gank me for before I go suit shopping.

But at work I've scheduled those days off and a couple extra days before to go over Yolie with a fine tooth comb
You are?! Hmmm.... maybe i should join you. I'm debating between California Superbike School, or this. I want to do both, but idk how my finances are going to be, and if i can get my Daytona in track ready form. If i still have my CBR i'll probably do the CSS class, if i don't then i'll probably do this on Sport-Touring i buy or the 675.

Old 01-21-2013 | 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dragondima
You are?! Hmmm.... maybe i should join you. I'm debating between California Superbike School, or this. I want to do both, but idk how my finances are going to be, and if i can get my Daytona in track ready form. If i still have my CBR i'll probably do the CSS class, if i don't then i'll probably do this on Sport-Touring i buy or the 675.
I had the cash saved for CSS. But a couple things stopped me
  1. Forewarning of owing the IRS prolly several thousand dollars this year
  2. lowsiding Yolie last April

Th fee for CSS (2 day camp) will cover anything the IRS wants. And the lowside severly shook my confidence in turns. No injury except to my pride and confidence. But it kinda said to me I need another step before getting track happy.

Old 01-21-2013 | 07:47 PM

I took the Total Control ARC level 1 a few years ago in Poughkeepsie. Here's their schedule for 2013: CKS KickSTART Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic (TC ARC) Refund Policy

The curriculum follows the book very closely, and does the exact same drills the book describes. It was a fun, informative day. I wouldn't say that I was completely blown away, but I would recommend it.

The CSS two-day camp is too rich for my blood until we're done paying for the kids' college, but I will be doing their Level One at NJMP this May.

I've done about a half dozen track days in 2011 and 2012 and would 100% recommend it to anyone who knows how to operate a bike - meaning you've been through the MSF basic course and have a couple thousand miles under your belt. I say the sooner the better. It's easier to learn proper technique from the start than to try to unlearn bad habits that have become ingrained from years of doing it wrong.

You only push it as hard as you want to, and like has been said, the track is a much safer, more controlled environment than the street. You're less likely to crash, if you do crash there will likely be less damage to yourself and the bike. The two organizations I've ridden with, Absolute and Tony's Track Days, both have great introductory programs of on-track and classroom instruction.

Old 01-21-2013 | 10:00 PM
|

Originally Posted by Munson
I took the Total Control ARC level 1 a few years ago in Poughkeepsie. Here's their schedule for 2013: CKS KickSTART Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic (TC ARC) Refund Policy

The curriculum follows the book very closely, and does the exact same drills the book describes. It was a fun, informative day. I wouldn't say that I was completely blown away, but I would recommend it.

The CSS two-day camp is too rich for my blood until we're done paying for the kids' college, but I will be doing their Level One at NJMP this May.

I've done about a half dozen track days in 2011 and 2012 and would 100% recommend it to anyone who knows how to operate a bike - meaning you've been through the MSF basic course and have a couple thousand miles under your belt. I say the sooner the better. It's easier to learn proper technique from the start than to try to unlearn bad habits that have become ingrained from years of doing it wrong.

You only push it as hard as you want to, and like has been said, the track is a much safer, more controlled environment than the street. You're less likely to crash, if you do crash there will likely be less damage to yourself and the bike. The two organizations I've ridden with, Absolute and Tony's Track Days, both have great introductory programs of on-track and classroom instruction.
Can't really argue with anything you've said, since it's basically all correct. I'm sure there are people that will argue.

I've ridden with NESBA, ACE, and Team Promo. I know a few that after trying TTD's won't ever ride with them again. CSS is possibly the best motorcycle track class you can take on the east coast, but it's not cheap, and again i know a few people that have taken the classes multiple times, and still feel like going back for more.

The TC:ARC seems to be the best intermediate street riding class. It's not about dragging knee in TC:ARC, but getting good feedback.

I will probably end up taking both, definitely doing CSS, that's a no brainer, and debating about doing TC:ARC.

Since my CBR was my only track and street bike, i was too lazy to constantly change it back and forth, which allowed me to do a few track days during the summer, but i missed out on a lot of good weekends of riding. So might skip this year for track, and just focus on saddle time. If i get a V-Strom or something along those lines, i'll do TC:ARC, and CSS.

Old 01-23-2013 | 01:17 PM

I'm down for the Columbia one. Funny thing is that's about 15 minutes from my house now. Early April it will be a few hours away. If you're looking into lodging, I'd check the Sheraton at Columbia Mall. There's a fair amount of post course activity to get into. Albeit, not city night life, but they have a good bar with live music called Union Jacks on the compound. Also a good area for riding in general.

Old 01-24-2013 | 03:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by Cybertank3
I'm down for the Columbia one. Funny thing is that's about 15 minutes from my house now. Early April it will be a few hours away. If you're looking into lodging, I'd check the Sheraton at Columbia Mall. There's a fair amount of post course activity to get into. Albeit, not city night life, but they have a good bar with live music called Union Jacks on the compound. Also a good area for riding in general.
Hmmm... lodging is kind of good topic. I'm not sure if i'll need it though. I was thinking of driving straight to the class, i'm told we're advised to come 20 min's early, if it starts at 8am, then planning to get there around 730. Google Maps says i'm about 2.5 hours out, considering i'll be leaving around 5:15, puts me there around 7:30-40. I could even trailer it if i'm feeling lazy. If it ends around 4 or 5, i could still ride back and be home before 8. If i want to take a break, maybe grab a nice long dinner, then a 5 hr energy and hustle home. Thoughts? Is that too much riding for one day?

Old 01-24-2013 | 03:51 PM

Guess the reason I'm more interested in TC:ARC is because of something I think about a lot. Every says the track is safer than the streets. So to me it makes sense to spend money on the course more tailored to the more dangerous environ. Another thing ppl say is you have to learn to go slow before you go fast. The track isn't suited for going slow

And TC:ARC does offer things that apply to track riding. This is a member of another forum who did TC:ARC 1&2.

Name:  20121118_musselman_60ws.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  68.7 KB
Him at a track day

At the end of day1:
Name:  20121201_ttarc1_01ws.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  81.2 KB

At the end of day2:
Name:  20121202_ttarc2_04ws.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  88.1 KB

His entire review

Old 01-24-2013 | 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dragondima
Hmmm... lodging is kind of good topic. I'm not sure if i'll need it though. I was thinking of driving straight to the class, i'm told we're advised to come 20 min's early, if it starts at 8am, then planning to get there around 730. Google Maps says i'm about 2.5 hours out, considering i'll be leaving around 5:15, puts me there around 7:30-40. I could even trailer it if i'm feeling lazy. If it ends around 4 or 5, i could still ride back and be home before 8. If i want to take a break, maybe grab a nice long dinner, then a 5 hr energy and hustle home. Thoughts? Is that too much riding for one day?
Sounds like a lot of riding to me. I'm assuming you'll be tired after all the riding somewhat. It will take it's toll mentally and physically. I know you're not performing a marathon, but you need to relax your mind and body after putting forth that much focus. So to start your day at 0430 hr, and return home 16 hours later, seems like a bit much; trailering or not.

IMO

Quick Reply: Total Control Advanced Riding Course convo