Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Total Control Advanced Riding Course convo

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012 | 02:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Dragondima, I don't have any firsthand feedback for the particular course you asked about, other than hearing good things about it. However, I wanted to tell you to not rule out track days/track day organizations. I don't know what you have avail in Philly but there are several good track day orgs around the country that have good new-track-rider "schools". They have instructor/control riders that help you learn technique & how to safely execute. Each riding session is discussed in a classroom setting w/ your instructor to help you build confidence & get almost instant feedback. You can do your research & find those track day orgs & inquire about their instruction.

I've done many track days w/ these types of new rider instructional classes going on. I've been really impressed w/ the rate in which the new track riders gain valuable skills. Its really amazing to see their confidence level go from timid to excited w/ the proper instruction & positive reinforcement.

Regarding gear: Many track day orgs rent gear. So, you may not have to buy everything. A simple inquiry w/ them will let you know what they provide.

Yes, riding track can get expensive. Sharing the costs w/a fellow rider will decrease the expense. As Kuro mentioned, sharing a trailer (& gas) w/ another rider is good idea. Also, if staying overnight, sharing motel is a good idea to cut costs.

Good luck in your choices.
Thank you very much for sharing you knowledge and experience. The closest track area to Philadelphia is NJMP (New Jersey Motor Parkway), and i've actually been there a few times. My brother is an avid track rider, and his friends also are constantly doing track days, even enduro's. I've personally not gotten the track bug (yet?), and much rather prefer doing spirited, and skilled, road riding. I've heard very similar things in reference to the training classes being very good, and some of the more renowned ones like Kuroshio mentioned California SuperBike School, charge a very pretty penny, $600ish. So for the "bang for the buck" type of deals, i think TC ARC is what i've set my mind on. The interesting thing is, that the book outlines what the class entails, if you were to find a nice empty parking lot, and get a few cones set up, and preferably with a few people that have also read the book, you could set up his course. The main difference is having the instructors mentoring you. I'm contemplating trying that method out before i shell out the $400 it'll cost to take the class.

Old 03-14-2012 | 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dragondima
Cost me 7$ shipped from Amazon used books, i'd rather have the Ebook, but haven't gotten around to buying it.
https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=prypfB7vRoEC

That's the book, Total Control, in Google Books

Old 03-14-2012 | 08:49 PM
|

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=prypfB7vRoEC

That's the book, Total Control, in Google Books
Yea, saw that when i was looking to buy the book originally, the same price as Kindle version. Don't feel like buying the book twice, i like having the hard copy, but i read much more and quicker on my cellphone and tablet.

Ganzey, i respectfully disagree with your stance on beginners needing to get old bikes. Though i agree it may have benefits for some, new bikes implement new technologies, and changed many aspects of the bike. Just because a bike is older, doesn't make it good to learn on, you can still get a supersport that's from the 80's and still find it difficult because of throttle response, and torque. That's my take on it anyways.

Old 03-14-2012 | 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dragondima
Ganzey, i respectfully disagree with your stance on beginners needing to get old bikes. Though i agree it may have benefits for some, new bikes implement new technologies, and changed many aspects of the bike. Just because a bike is older, doesn't make it good to learn on, you can still get a supersport that's from the 80's and still find it difficult because of throttle response, and torque. That's my take on it anyways.
It's the school of thought that a new rider is going to drop / crash their first bike. You also bring up a good point about newer tech though. ABS didn't appear on the CBR 600RR until 2010 I believe. And ABS is a game changer. I expect in the next 2 years we'll also see traction control in the 600cc range too. Believe me when I say from experience, traction control on a motorcycle is phenomenal.

Old 03-15-2012 | 12:16 PM

Absolute Cycle Experience runs at NJMP and will provide loaner leathers for free for first-timers. Their coaches will observe you on the track and offer critiques and suggestions. Other track organizations probably offer similar programs, since they want to make it as easy as possible for you to get on the track and get hooked. And if your brother and his friends ride track, chances are someone could lend you gear that way, too.

Getting together with other riders who have read the Lee Parks book, and observing/photographing/videotaping each other doing the parking lot drills isn't a bad idea, but it's not the same as being observed and coached by a qualified instructor.

Old 03-15-2012 | 03:40 PM
|

Originally Posted by Munson
Absolute Cycle Experience runs at NJMP and will provide loaner leathers for free for first-timers. Their coaches will observe you on the track and offer critiques and suggestions. Other track organizations probably offer similar programs, since they want to make it as easy as possible for you to get on the track and get hooked. And if your brother and his friends ride track, chances are someone could lend you gear that way, too.

Getting together with other riders who have read the Lee Parks book, and observing/photographing/videotaping each other doing the parking lot drills isn't a bad idea, but it's not the same as being observed and coached by a qualified instructor.
Couldn't agree with you more, and thanks for the Absolute Cycle info, i'll look in to them. The ones my bro/friends use is Team Promotion, and Tony's Track Days. Their intro beginner track days are very expensive, and charge a lot for leathers. I can borrow leathers and all that, but again i'm more interested in road riding, not track. Track is great and all, and i'm definitely interested, i'm just more interested in being able to go to the Tail of the Dragon, and other fun areas for spirited riding. I'm very intrigued by this Absolute Cycle stuff though, never heard of them before. I'll be on their site rest of the day haha.

Old 03-26-2012 | 06:44 PM

Hey all... Tony from Tonys Track Days here.

Just to clarify... our intro program is FREE... it's included with your first trackday.

However, we are big fans of the ARC program too... and actually run it during our trackday events. We run 2-day trackday events so lots of people do the ARC on day one and then the trackday on day two.

Keep in mind that our focus is on improving your street riding skills. We teach it on a racetrack because it is safer and easier.

Right now, we are only running the ARC program during our NH trackdays... but that may change around July of this year.

Regardless... glad you're looking to get some rider training!

Old 04-02-2012 | 09:35 AM
|

Originally Posted by 35racer
Hey all... Tony from Tonys Track Days here.

Just to clarify... our intro program is FREE... it's included with your first trackday.

However, we are big fans of the ARC program too... and actually run it during our trackday events. We run 2-day trackday events so lots of people do the ARC on day one and then the trackday on day two.

Keep in mind that our focus is on improving your street riding skills. We teach it on a racetrack because it is safer and easier.

Right now, we are only running the ARC program during our NH trackdays... but that may change around July of this year.

Regardless... glad you're looking to get some rider training!
Sounds great! Keep us posted about the ARC program coming to NJMP, do you guys offer free gear rental like the other organization? I know others that ride with Tony's, and you were my first choice, but that other group kind of got me on not having to buy leathers for something i'm not 100% committed to. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2013 | 12:12 AM

Did anyone wind up doing this ARC? I'm interested in finding out how it was.

Old 01-13-2013 | 07:34 AM

Going in April

Quick Reply: Total Control Advanced Riding Course convo