Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Retaking the MSF BRC

Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for me... their job is to look out for the welfare of the public. This probably reduces the number of deaths, accidents, and unlicensed bikers running from cops.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ohh i agree 100%. but you know that the whole time that these polititians are telling us how much they're gonna help the people durring elections they're just singing in thier head...money money money mon-ay........mon-ayy.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Yep... that's politics..

Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the problem with lobbying Congress would be what concession bikers would have to make.

The govt would want their cash back somehow.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Well for me... their job is to look out for the welfare of the public. This probably reduces the number of deaths, accidents, and unlicensed bikers running from cops.

Don't confuse "the public" with "the individual." Helmet and seatbelt laws remove the individual's freedom to choose how he (safely) protects himself. If someone chooses to put their own life at risk, That's their right. It's when they're putting other lives at risk (DUI, etc) that regulations make sense. I never, ever ride without my helmet, but I'll fight against any IL legislation that would require me to do so. The more little freedoms we let them take away, the more complacent we'll be when they come for the bigger ones. It's like the tons of security in the airports that clearly don't even work.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin

Also, every State Patrolman's Persuit Manual I've read from 2008 on explicitly states not to give chase to escaping motorcyclists. Apparently, some vast majority (like 80+%) end in the rider killing himself or being seriously injured, usually hitting some gravel on an off-ramp. Sounds nice of them, but they've used that as a means to get the state to allow them to do random stops of motorcyclists, just to check for credentials. While I'm all about taking unlicensed riders off the road, I don't like the idea of sacrificing my personal freedom to ride without being pulled over by every bored cop on the highway (it's happened already).

Last edited by johnnyx; 04-23-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM

It's hard to sell people a long-term gain (especially lawmakers who will have to run for election before results are ever noticeable) if they have to forego immediate gratification.

It's pretty much the story of our country at this point.

People don't want to save and earn what they want... they would rather dig themselves into inappropriate amounts of debt now for the instant satisfaction and try to scratch to get back to even over time.

Being in the financial industry I see this a lot and it disgusts me. The mindset of this country has shifted from the strong work ethic of our grandparents to the selfish, lazy, bratty unappreciative attitude of our current generation. It makes me sick seeing all these people that feel entitled but are unwilling to put in the leg work required to reap the rewards they seek. Everyone expects riches and happiness and nice things to be handed to them just for showing up. Bleh. /rant

Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 PM

I wish the MSF were free everywhere, but it isnt because of states laws and regulations, not because of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation; I paid for it in Vermont ($160) and it's even more in Massachusetts (i think $320 +/-), but even if I had to pay $320, I know it's worth it, for all riders.
I found out that I'm actually quite adept to riding a motorcycle, and that I really enjoyed riding a motorcycle. I got to experience riding in rain and 100 degree weather all in the same weekend (welcome to new england folks) so I learned that its not just fun and games, there is an endurance factor to riding at the same time (that leather was great during the rain for keeping dry and warm, but sucked in the sun and heat at a mere 15-20mph on an air cooled V-twin).
Some riders in my course found out they should not be on a motorcycle, they couldnt handle all the controls, couldnt grasp the concept of countersteer or leaning (I personally peg-dragged all weekend long :-D ). And decided not to go ahead with getting a motorcycle.

So whats worse, buying a motorcycle, registering and insuring it, taking the license exam at the DMV during the week (time off from work), riding for a little while and realizing that you dont want to and taking a multi-thousand dollar bath, or worse getting hurt/killed because you just cant handle riding a motorcycle; or dropping a couple hundred and having a weekend in a controlled environment to figure this all out? if you take and pass the course, Bam youve got your license and you are ready to roll, and you've learned all the basics to boot.

I don't think it should be required to take the course, but I think anybody this side of the dirt should realize its better to take the course than not.

I would not insult the MSF, the organization does a lot for the motorcycle community, oh and as a result of taking the course, you get a discount on insurance, so the course will eventually pay for itself anyways.

Also I agree with johnnyx about helmet and seatbelt laws, personally I wear my seatbelt & I wear my helmet. When my nieces and nephews are in the car, I make them wear their seatbelts. I don't believe individuals should be required by law to wear a seatbelt or helmet if they dont want to, because they are responsible for their own safety. As for minors, they are the responsibilty of the adult in the car with them (hence the comment about my nieces and nephews), and I hope that the adult in the car is smart enough to put a seatbelt on them!

On a side note, I wonder if insurance is cheaper in states with helmet laws than in states without helmet laws, a good comparison would be Vermont and New Hampshire since they are in a similar fiscal state and geographic location (although one is republican and the other democrat... freeakin politics...)

Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in PA some people discover the hard way that the tiny scooter they bought requires a class M license. So they take the BRC to get their license. It was actually funny on the first night when the instructor came in and said "You know all of you that rode your scooter up here are breaking the law?". Class was after dusk, which meant no riding on a permit.

There were also people in my class taking it simply to try something completely new. One woman in particular was adamant that she wasn't going to get a motorcycle nor scooter. But she wanted to take the course to experience something completely outside her norm. She passed and still said she wasn't getting anything with 2 wheels. But she also said the course taught her a lot about driving in general, like situational awareness, and it was time well spent.

Minus the classroom part, which dragged for me as I had experience on a bike already, it was a great time. And they did catch things I never knew I was doing wrong since when i first got on 2 wheels at 17 that's exactly what I did: hop on 2 wheels and take off Now they just need to add a sport bike course here in PA and pick up a bunch of Ninja 250s.

The cruisers are almost a completely different animal than a sportbike. I kept getting yelled at cause I kept trying to sit on the Night Hawk and Rebel I had like it was my F3 And I think it'd be easier to transition from a sportbike to a cruiser / scooter than the other way around.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio

The cruisers are almost a completely different animal than a sportbike. I kept getting yelled at cause I kept trying to sit on the Night Hawk and Rebel I had like it was my F3 And I think it'd be easier to transition from a sportbike to a cruiser / scooter than the other way around.
Man I tried to ride a Virago, with those crazy, loopy, handlebars and damn!!! That sucked!!

MSF is 179 for basic and about half for expert, in Texas. But you don't have to take the rider part of the exam.

I heard we ahve it made compared to some European countries, it takes classes, riding coaches, and progressive displacement upgrades, or something to that effect.

I read something like that but may be totally wrong, it happens.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:40 PM

lol it was fun but isn't it too much of a beginner class for you?

Search this Thread