CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   Retaking the MSF BRC (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/retaking-msf-brc-109270/)

Kuroshio 04-20-2010 10:15 PM

Retaking the MSF BRC

You got your 1st sports bike last year. You were smart and took the MSF BRC. You got a good 1st season under your belt (no crashes or minor drops where you know what you did wrong). So you're done, right? Not really

I'm retaking the BRC for a couple reasons.
  • I don't feel a single season is enough to have etched the skills the BRC teaches deep enough
  • I want to see how much my riding improved compared to the first BRC
  • There are a couple things I wanna try
  • It was fun

A long winter wasn't just hard on my bike (and sanity). Rust formed on some of the things I had learned from the year before. It comes back quicker than trying to learn something completely new. But the BRC, with instructors aiding you (and sometimes berating you like my instructors did) in a controlled environment, will help dig what you learned the first time even deeper.

There were things I completely flubbed during the first BRC (that damn Figure 8!). And things I had to concentrate on to accomplish (some of the weaving exercises). Simply put, my slow speed maneuvers sucked. But the first BRC taught me what I needed to work on and provided a reference point. But today I realized how effortlessly I was maneuvering through the pumps while getting gas. I want to check my improvement against my previous reference points.

While I couldn't ride during the winter, I read a lot about riding. There are some things I'm pretty sure I have conceptually but haven't quite put into practice yet. A little reluctant to experiement on a shiny new-to-me F4i. So why not borrow someone else's bike? :D

Alright, guilty secret. Those 250s were fun and so was hanging out with the others during the BRC. There's no way in hell my girlfriend is gonna allow another bike in the house. But I'd seriously consider having a 250 just to play with some times, especially when trying out new things.

The point here is that for me there are plenty good reasons to go do it again. Seeing how its free for us PA residents, I don't see why not. To me, the reasons outweigh any embarrassment I might suffer riding with the n00bs again. If you can do it, I recommend you consider it if you just started on sports bikes.

And obviously I strongly recommend you take it if you've never done the BRC and you're on your first street bike :D

Turbulenz 04-21-2010 08:47 AM

You are retaking it for the right reasons.... and also if you dont think that you are ready for the ERC...

I would consider doing it again as well (my 2nd season too) if it werent for the $350 price tag that is tough to sell when money is tight...

Adam

Kuroshio 04-21-2010 09:11 AM

ERC is free too so I'm planning on taking it at the end of the season. The new bike has me skittish a bit with slow speed. Want more seat time, knowing its balance points, before I do an all day at under 20 MPH. :P

chuckbear 04-21-2010 09:59 AM

For me, I'm not sure I'd get much out of it. I've been riding dirtbikes forever and have put down about 15k so far in the past year or so and I basically aced the course the first time around.

On the other hand, I think it's admirable to constantly try to better oneself. :)

Now if I had access to the ERC free... I'd be all over that. Effing Florida.

SPR-GRN 04-21-2010 06:34 PM

I wish MSF was free for me, I wouldnt mind spending another weekend (or several) running a 250cc around a parking lot honing my low-speed skills; I had a great time at the MSF course, shoot I almost bought a 250cc bike just to play around on, but sadly most of my driving is long distance, so I cant merit the expense (yet) once I move back to an area where I commute to work at speeds below 50mph, Ill pick one up and just enjoy it, I think its way more fun to drive a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow (think beating the bag outta a miata on an auto-x course vs. driving a Z06 corvette in traffic, i mean 62mph in first gear.. i guess youd never have to shift, but it wouldnt be much fun)

andyriot 04-21-2010 06:53 PM

free?! its a hefty $200 here. and required. boo @ msf. just another scam for our hard earned money.

(note: i do think the msf course is invaluable for new riders)

Sprock 04-21-2010 09:25 PM

1st off : Kuro .........good for you man ........ we can never learn enough - be comfy
2nd ..........best to get on the ERC within 6 weeks after
3rd ........... keep it in your head and get to it .........push those boundaries ...safely
4th ...........in time you become seasoned in your abilities
5th............you always are in learning mode ........ ( yeah I hit gravel today at speed in a turn :( almost !!!) very interesting recovery LOL
lotsa mud :)

(last : head up and throttle/shift control) saves the day everyday imo !

You shoulda seen the MSF Class Boss's face when he asked " what's your ride" :D

Then he went extra tuff on me back then :) but he did fail 100% of the
dirt bike guys ..... for feet down on turns ....... aka "dirty habit" :D

RoadiJeff 04-22-2010 10:25 AM

I just completed the MSF BRC a few weeks ago. Although I've had a motorcycle license for several decades it was a great learning experience and I still learned a few new tricks. I never knew I could make figure-8 turns in such a small radius without putting a foot down.

I had to concentrate on not putting my knee out during some 135 degree sweepers and to always look where I want to go and not where I'm currently at. Then, getting the friction zone down was something I never really messed much with until this class.

Anyway, the instructor said he has several students take the ERC over and over each spring to brush up on their riding skills at the start of the riding season. The ERC is 1/2 of the cost of the BRC here in MO so I might look into that.

johnnyx 04-22-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 910625)
I I never knew I could make figure-8 turns in such a small radius without putting a foot down.

Hell, I still can't. :icon_doh:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 910625)
Anyway, the instructor said he has several students take the ERC over and over each spring to brush up on their riding skills at the start of the riding season. The ERC is 1/2 of the cost of the BRC here in MO so I might look into that.

Cost? It's free here in IL. :icon_shrug: If there's a cost, it sounds liek a scam for them to get you to come back. I don't see the difference between practicing there, and practicing in an empty lot by your house, and out on the road.

Kuroshio 04-22-2010 12:39 PM

I don't see the msf as a scam. Think Texas is the only state that requires it. Some states don't subsidize it however, like Pennsylvania.

They have to buy and repair the bikes, have gear (at least helmets) pay instructors and cover a massive insurance liability.

Sure you can do it yourself if you have the mentality and self control. But even if you do, you wont have someone observing you And able to tell you what you're doing wrong.