Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Retaking the MSF BRC

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like said above, its free for me in Illinois. Except for the $3.xx something service charge for registering online. I decided to donate my $20 to the MSF.

I'd really like to take the BRC again just for fun. It really was a cheap form of weekend long fun. My instructor said I could just skip the IRC and do the ERC when I have time. He said I had a pretty good handle on riding and I was a fast learner.

I wanna get on my F3 and do the same exercises.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Seeing how its free for us PA residents
you suck.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:37 PM

If you have any army buddies its free for us on post (i think all posts but not positive) just get him to sign up and take it in his place.......unless you need the card. Im not saying I ever did that but,,,,,, its your tax dollars anyways. lol

Old 04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by regener8ed
you suck.
Honestly, I'd love to lobby Congress to make it free in all states.

I understand not being able to afford it after buying a bike. But some new riders have shown here just how close to the edge of a low / high side they are trying to teach themselves.

The guy asking about his rear tire feeling like it was slipping out from under him, for example. He was coasting thru turns with no throttle. Hell yes his rear was slipping out from under him! Just a little turn on the bars or just a little more lean and he was gonna eat pavement. They'd have caught that quick during a BRC.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by andyriot
free?! its a hefty $200 here. and required. boo @ msf. just another scam for our hard earned money.
FACT. It's free in IL, too (you're encouraged to give a $20 donation. Yes, twenty dollars). I can't believe the MSF would charge in certain states. Your state must be requiring them to pay for some "instructor license" or other bull****.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyx
FACT. It's free in IL, too (you're encouraged to give a $20 donation. Yes, twenty dollars). I can't believe the MSF would charge in certain states. Your state must be requiring them to pay for some "instructor license" or other bull****.
Actually, I think it's less to do that our states charge them extra to operate and more that states like yours subsidize the course so that they basically cover the cost of these companies putting up the course.

I didn't like shelling out $200 for the course when others get it for free, but I stand behind it and am glad I spent the money.

The problem you have in florida is that the old electorate dominates the issues and getting a subsidy through the HoR or whatever it would take would probably be a disaster because these fogies don't want to pay for these you whipper-snappers to learn how to buzz around on their motorbikes.

That's just my take. lol

Old 04-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Honestly, I'd love to lobby Congress to make it free in all states.
right on. it's $285 for the basic course down here. (i suppose you gotta pay for them class bikes somehow tho.)

Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Actually, I think it's less to do that our states charge them extra to operate and more that states like yours subsidize the course so that they basically cover the cost of these companies putting up the course.

Just looked it up - this is true. Really, REALLY weird, since IL is in the Top 10 Brokest States. They just raised court costs for basic traffic violations to $225. That means I have to pay $225 BEFORE the fine. I can't imagine they're gonna keep funding the MSF for too much longer.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really think about it though Johnny, I think that providing this course for free (and thus encouraging more riders to be licensed) actually creates a more competent rider population and reduces incidents that cops, firefighters and EMTs have to respond to. Because of that, the state may actually be saving money...

Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
If you really think about it though Johnny, I think that providing this course for free (and thus encouraging more riders to be licensed) actually creates a more competent rider population and reduces incidents that cops, firefighters and EMTs have to respond to. Because of that, the state may actually be saving money...
yeah but they probably figure they make more money giving out the tickets for illeagal riding.