Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

My F4i won't pop a wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done them accidently in my 02 F4i..scared me.

I just kept it in first, crank it wide open throttle til around 10-11k rpms, let off really quick, then jam on the throttle...it'll come up. be careful please!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:11 AM

Increase your speed just a bit. In first gear go about 35mph, should be about 4k-4500RPMs. then pull in your clutch and throttle up to about 10,500-11,000 rpms and drop your clutch back out. It'll come up no problemo. Start small and just pop it up and after that becomes comfortable then start increasing your initial clutch drop to abot 12k rpms and start carrying them out a few feet. Once that becomes comfortable then start taking them up a little higher till you find that elusive balance point.

And remember all the advice in the world is nothing compared to seat time and just keep trying!!

Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 AM

Burnouts, ha? IDK, everytime I see someone do a bornout I see dollar bills going up in smoke... I have never even tried doing one.... Can't be good for the tires or the trany...
Im not sure why you think doing burnouts is harder on the trans than clutching up wheelies. Both can be harsh, but I would imagine clutching wheelies is worse for the trans and clutch than a burnout.

If your dead set of doing wheelies, you need to follow through with the throttle. It sounds like maybe your bringing the rpms up, dumping the clutch and letting the rpms drop. Once you drop the clutch, give the throttle a little more and it should continue making the front end rise. Or as already said, bring the rpms up while your first gear to around 10,000, let off the gas, which will allow the front to drop a bit, then hammer on the gas again. With the suspension still dropped a bit in the front from the letting off on the gas, the rebound of the suspension will help get the front end off the ground. Then its just a matter of throttle of control to keep the bike from flipping over backwards.

I would suggest not doing them at all, but I think we've all been there before. I rarely do wheelies now, I just never have the erge anymore. I still like corners though

Old 08-21-2010, 12:48 PM

I popped a wheelie last night..an i wasn't trying..not sure thats a good thing but i think i did it through the clutch, holding in the clutch while giving gas, then barely letting go and it came up no problem at all..i was a little suprised

Old 08-21-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by axnst1
Burnouts, ha? IDK, everytime I see someone do a bornout I see dollar bills going up in smoke... I have never even tried doing one.... Can't be good for the tires or the trany...
Speaking of dollar bills, don't lose that wheelie and drop your bike. Good luck though, and ride.....kind of safe.lol

Old 08-21-2010, 05:20 PM

im right here with ya man. Ive been popping wheelies for like a week now. Ive been doing the power wheelie and now im working on the clutch wheelie. What your doing wrong is when you pop the clutch your not staying on the throttle. Its the same thing i was doin when i first started learning. I still cant set it down softly or even ride it out but i can pop it. I found that sweet spot one time on my f2. talk about adrenaline . Knowing one little goose of the throttle and you would wipe out Love it. Some how managed to not lay my bike down at all yet (knock on wood) its my first bike also. Good luck bud hope i helped

Old 08-22-2010, 07:24 PM

You guys are all helping! It's awsome! I am going to try what everyone is telling me... I definitely wasn't openning up the throttle after the initial jump....i am usually too busy trying to hold on to the bike so that it doesn't rip my arm off... I'll try giving it more throttle. Plus it also sounds like I am not giving it enough rpms initially. I usually don't let it go higher then like 8K.... I'll try! Thanks everyone!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:26 PM

BTW, I most certainly agree that burnouts can't be as bad for the bike as wheelies, but if I am going to hurt my bike, I better get some excitment out of it and burnouts just don't do it for me....though then again I've never done one...

Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Yea man trust me it can do i just started doing wheelies last week and i failed when i first tried. So i thought i couldnt do it as well so this week ....boom its coming up like a charm its great idk i changed my oil but i dont think that has anything to do with it. But yea i go about 13mph rev it up to 11k and drop the clutch and i have lift off. I cant do wheelies long yet like i said but its a start.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 AM

https://cbrforum.com/forum/stunters-corner-55/how-wheelie-video-tutorial-115327/

if your better at learning from visual (then reading). I had an F3 and was able to get it up (stock gearing) - try and try again...

one tip tho: NEVER PULL on your handlebars to bring it up, it doesnt help and it's a good way to make your wheel crooked and land into a tank slap (keep the front wheel straight when letting it down)

but when you get lift (even a few inches) you will feel your handlebars unburdened and know that you are doing a wheelie. Also first time wheelies happen on accidents when playing with throttle control/power (ie: coming off a stoplight on the throttle hard, you will feel the weight from the front forks transfer to the back wheel)

good luck and be safe =)

(also burn-outs are boring and a waste of rubber - unless you got that infamous silver strip down the middle from too many wheelies and looking to just pop the mother)

Quick Reply: My F4i won't pop a wheelie