CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   My F4i won't pop a wheelie (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/my-f4i-wont-pop-wheelie-115434/)

axnst1 08-19-2010 01:14 PM

My F4i won't pop a wheelie

I have just recently got back to riding bikes. I used to ride bikes until I was about 12 but then after that I didn't have a bike again until 3 months ago. Needless to say that as soon as I got on the bike, it was like I never stopped riding. So even after only three months I feel very comfortable on my bike.

So, naturally, I would like to learn how to pop wheelies. I have read a bunch of things online on how to do it, and I just can't get my bike to lift up even 6". When I try doing it I get a jurk on the wheel and for a split second it may jump an inch or two, but that's it. I have never tried doing a power wheelie 'cause I keep reading that doing that is even harder. So I have been attempting clotch wheelies but no luck. I have tried popping the clutch at up to 10K rpm's and nothing. It almost feels like the bike doesn't have enough power or something. It does, however, feel like it's going to rip my arm off.

Here's what I have been trying:

1. Put the bike into first gear
2. Go about 15mph
3. Pull in the clutch
4. Rev up the engine a little and drop the clutch

I have tried to vary the "little" amount anywhere from 4K to 10K rpm, and I get nothing but a big huge jerk on the steering wheel that feels like it's going to rip my arm off. No upward movement though...

My bike is an '04 with only 3K miles on it...

PLEASE HELP!

hurricaneF-1 08-19-2010 01:24 PM

how to pop a wheelie

all i can say it commitment! I was the same way when i started to do stoppie i couldn't get the back to come up truth is you have to commit, standing with 1 foot on the passenger peg helps give you some leverage. also what might be happening is you drop the clutch and the revs are dropping, try and keep the throttle on after you drop the clutch if that makes sense.

1 thing you might wanna keep in mind before you start, you said its 04 with 3k miles on it, if you care about that bike watch out, when you start out you will probably be dropping the front down pretty hard, i blew my left seal out and i know other that have blown seals so just be cautious and safe when doing it! baby steps!

HurricaneF-1

axnst1 08-19-2010 01:27 PM

I am willing to try anything at this point! Thanks for the advice!

Others: Keep'em coming!

axnst1 08-19-2010 01:34 PM

OK...first of all...should I try bouncing the bike as i try to get it to come up? Meaning, should I stand up on the pegs, lean forward and try to push down on the shocks right as I go to drop the clutch? and even try lifting on it?

I can do wheelies on a regular pedal bike no problem, but there, it's 50% arm muscle and leaning backward and 50% pedal muscle. Does it work the same way on motorcycles? I am so frustrated...others make it look so easy...

drunkinmist 08-19-2010 02:12 PM

I personaly have never done the clutch thing cause i am not willing to commit and not really sure how that works.

The way i do it is by throttle only. Getting going fast enough in 2 and then dropping it back to first in the power range and mashing the throttle.
Should be like this get to 30mph drop to 1 gear you should be reving about 8k.
Then just let that throttle twist!
mine is a 02 and has all the power to do it but i can't get it to come up in any other gear then 1.

axnst1 08-19-2010 02:51 PM

I'll try that too!

Please keep the pointers coming!

PlayfulGod 08-19-2010 03:40 PM

its all on the rider, not the bike. ;)

I know guys that can ride wheelies on anything, doesnt matter what cc, gearing, etc.

axnst1 08-19-2010 03:55 PM

That's what I keep hearing... I wish I could have someone actually do it right in front of me. Unfortunately, non of my friends ride...

jeason15 08-20-2010 02:02 AM

your f4i is a wheelie machine... trust me. i have done wheelies on bikes as small at crf50's... if fact, i have been flipped over backwards on a 50. just stick with it. its all about that fine line when controlling throttle between coming up and holy sh1t. my advice, get a dirtbike and wheelie on that first... they are built to crash. failing that, learn to do burnouts. when you find that perfect launch rpm to get the rear wheel to break loose when you dump the clutch, you can use that as a yardstick for your wheelie launch.

axnst1 08-20-2010 08:40 AM

Burnouts, ha? IDK, everytime I see someone do a bornout I see dollar bills going up in smoke... I have never even tried doing one.... Can't be good for the tires or the trany...