Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Most memorable riding experience or moment?

  #1  
Old 03-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Misti's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 129
Default Most memorable riding experience or moment?

What is one of your most memorable riding experiences or moments? Just something specific that stands out as really special that made you want to continue riding or racing? Doesn't have to be outstanding, just something that you remember as being important.
 
  #2  
Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM
74demon's Avatar
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: socal 949/951
Posts: 7,984
Default

Originally Posted by Misti View Post
What is one of your most memorable riding experiences or moments? Just something specific that stands out as really special that made you want to continue riding or racing? Doesn't have to be outstanding, just something that you remember as being important.
You first.
Surely you must have a good story or three.
 
  #3  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:04 PM
wes 17's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: wales
Posts: 351
Default

Back in the day whilst in my early 20's in used to despatch ride for a London courier firm. During a prolonged wet spell I grew fed up with getting soaking wet everyday and spending half an hour at lunch sat in a launderette drying my worn waterproofs. So one evening whist in my garage I spotted a tin of Duchams grease and had a fantastic (not)idea !
My waterproof overmits had long seen better days and I decided that a very fine film of my grease on the top of them would keep my hands dry. Obviously not on the palms, just the back of the hand section, I'm not daft am I (lol)
Well, success was had, I took the short trip down the motorway to town and was loving my dry hands in yet another miserable mornings weather.
Now the thing is, when I'm moving its visor down but I'm one of those riders who, when they stop, tends to lift their visor a little, don't know why, I just do it. You can guess how it went. After a few up downs my vision started to deteriorate and I knew I had made a mistake, my grease had contaminated my visor and now I was cursing my fool hardy attempt to keep my hands dry.
As I sat at yet another red light, feeling angry and pissed at my situation things suddenly got interesting to say the least.
No need to bother with neutral as it's so stop start. One second the traffic is crisscrossing in front of me the next second I'm lurching towards it. Jumping the red light, my clutch had catapulted out of my greasy mit and now like some type of lunatic I'm careering through four lanes of traffic.
Now it's really easy to sit in your chair at home thinking I'd just do this or that but, you try to get your hands back on the handlebars and feet somewhere where you need them when your fast tracked into this situation, not that easy when the traffic's right on you I can tell you.
Well that was just one moment in around 100k miles I did whilst dispatching. It's been 30 years since then and have always had bikes. There's plenty of stories and I still love riding and never ever think that will change.
 
  #4  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Misti's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 129
Default

Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
You first.
Surely you must have a good story or three.
I have a few yes But I'm really interested in hearing everyone else's stories. I'm always amazed at what cool things people have done and how much we all love riding. Anyway, here are a few of mine.

First time turning a wheel on a race track with WMRRA "taste of racing". I just KNEW I had to race after that.

First time coaching with CSS, I thought "I can't believe I got my dream job!"

First AMA race sitting on the grid after making qualifying- the most exhilarating feeling ever.

Recently riding through the Alps and seeing some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.

The first few corners at Sachsenring circuit in Germany.

Riding with a group of CSS coaches and students at a dirt bike school in the mud and bashing bars and laughing out loud with mud in my eye.


AND, the first time I was able to ride with my 6 year old son on track and give him a few pointers and lead him around. So proud!!
 
  #5  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Misti's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 129
Default

Originally Posted by wes 17 View Post
Back in the day whilst in my early 20's in used to despatch ride for a London courier firm. During a prolonged wet spell I grew fed up with getting soaking wet everyday and spending half an hour at lunch sat in a launderette drying my worn waterproofs. So one evening whist in my garage I spotted a tin of Duchams grease and had a fantastic (not)idea !
My waterproof overmits had long seen better days and I decided that a very fine film of my grease on the top of them would keep my hands dry. Obviously not on the palms, just the back of the hand section, I'm not daft am I (lol)
Well, success was had, I took the short trip down the motorway to town and was loving my dry hands in yet another miserable mornings weather.
Now the thing is, when I'm moving its visor down but I'm one of those riders who, when they stop, tends to lift their visor a little, don't know why, I just do it. You can guess how it went. After a few up downs my vision started to deteriorate and I knew I had made a mistake, my grease had contaminated my visor and now I was cursing my fool hardy attempt to keep my hands dry.
As I sat at yet another red light, feeling angry and pissed at my situation things suddenly got interesting to say the least.
No need to bother with neutral as it's so stop start. One second the traffic is crisscrossing in front of me the next second I'm lurching towards it. Jumping the red light, my clutch had catapulted out of my greasy mit and now like some type of lunatic I'm careering through four lanes of traffic.
Now it's really easy to sit in your chair at home thinking I'd just do this or that but, you try to get your hands back on the handlebars and feet somewhere where you need them when your fast tracked into this situation, not that easy when the traffic's right on you I can tell you.
Well that was just one moment in around 100k miles I did whilst dispatching. It's been 30 years since then and have always had bikes. There's plenty of stories and I still love riding and never ever think that will change.

Hahaha classic!! Love it. I had one weekend ride planned and about an hour in my kickstand fell off. Imagine my surprise when I stopped at the gas station and tried to get off my bike (i'm short and barely touch the ground on any bike I ride) The rest of the weekend was quite comical...I've written an entire article about it - ahhhhh riding stories!!! LOVE THEM!!!
 
  #6  
Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM
74demon's Avatar
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: socal 949/951
Posts: 7,984
Default

Here's two in one.

A few years back, a friend of mine and I were riding home on our daily commute, 38 miles of canyon road. At the time, there was major construction in the middle few miles and they would do flagging operations for one way traffic at a time. On our bikes, we would bypass all the cars in line and get to the front where it was stopped. We got to know the flagging guys pretty well over the 2 and a half years it took, so they would hold cars until we got to the front or give us a head start before letting the cars go. So picture it, 15 miles of canyon/mountain road without any cars in the way.... Needless to say, we got pretty darn good at melting our tires on that road!

One time, skies were getting pretty grey as we sat there waiting for the traffic going the other way to pass. When it was our turn, it had just started to drizzle. Not that big of a deal, but it meant we couldn't really get on it. But then it really started to rain. Then it poured. The it hailed. It hailed so much that it filled up my lap. The road was flooded over and we found ourselves riding with water well over our pegs. I was wet, cold, and laughing my *** off.
 
  #7  
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Misti's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 129
Default

Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
Here's two in one.

A few years back, a friend of mine and I were riding home on our daily commute, 38 miles of canyon road. At the time, there was major construction in the middle few miles and they would do flagging operations for one way traffic at a time. On our bikes, we would bypass all the cars in line and get to the front where it was stopped. We got to know the flagging guys pretty well over the 2 and a half years it took, so they would hold cars until we got to the front or give us a head start before letting the cars go. So picture it, 15 miles of canyon/mountain road without any cars in the way.... Needless to say, we got pretty darn good at melting our tires on that road!

One time, skies were getting pretty grey as we sat there waiting for the traffic going the other way to pass. When it was our turn, it had just started to drizzle. Not that big of a deal, but it meant we couldn't really get on it. But then it really started to rain. Then it poured. The it hailed. It hailed so much that it filled up my lap. The road was flooded over and we found ourselves riding with water well over our pegs. I was wet, cold, and laughing my *** off.
LOVE IT!!!! I once had a lady yell at me when I pulled in front of all the cars that had been stopped by a flagger. Seriously. The flagger just looked at the lady and waved me and my friends by, held her longer and let us get a good head start. Same kind of scenario, miles and miles of empty curves ahead! Haven't been hailed on like you though...that would be interesting!
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
fmscott2
CBR 600RR
34
02-26-2012 10:07 AM
Jet Jockey Z06 Vette
F4i - Main Forum
11
10-07-2009 10:00 PM
Alaska
Off Topic
19
04-24-2009 08:00 AM
CosmoBob
CBR 1000F "Hurricane"
19
03-25-2008 07:06 PM
Jet Jockey Z06 Vette
CBR 600RR
8
03-26-2006 05:35 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Most memorable riding experience or moment?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.