Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Just passed my riding test and now I want to have a passenger with me

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just passed my riding test and now I want to have a passenger with me

So I just passed my riding exam in LA today and it was pretty easy. I have been wanting to know what it feels like to have a passenger ride on the bike with me as well. But one thing they never taught in MSF is what is the proper way for a passenger to mount a bike? Yes I googled it and it seems like everyone has a different opinion or it varies on certain bikes. I had my gf mount it once before just to see to try it. I got on first and pulled the kickstand up and than had her climb on using the passenger footpegs. Only thing I didn't like about this is that the balance of the bike was thrown all over the place when she was getting on. Is it better to mount the bike and leave the stand down and than allow a passenger to mount? This seems like an easier way as well because the bike is slightly leaned making it a tad easier to get on. You guys tell me the right way :-)

Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't take this the wrong way, but leave the passenger off the bike until you have at least a riding season/few thousand miles under your belt. If you aren't comfortable her getting on/off, you aren't ready for a pillion. Having someone on the back (that doesn't know what they are doing especially) totally changes how the bike handles. It's great that you did the MSF, but that doesn't mean you are ready for every challenge a rider has to deal with. My girlfriend was fighting it turns for the first while and made it very difficult to turn smoothly. She knew what to do, just wasn't doing it.

For the record, there is no 'right' way for a passenger to get on the back. Some people use the side stand. I like to have the bike upright.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Don't take this the wrong way, but leave the passenger off the bike until you have at least a riding season/few thousand miles under your belt. If you aren't comfortable her getting on/off, you aren't ready for a pillion. Having someone on the back (that doesn't know what they are doing especially) totally changes how the bike handles. It's great that you did the MSF, but that doesn't mean you are ready for every challenge a rider has to deal with. My girlfriend was fighting it turns for the first while and made it very difficult to turn smoothly. She knew what to do, just wasn't doing it.

For the record, there is no 'right' way for a passenger to get on the back. Some people use the side stand. I like to have the bike upright.
Thanks for your opinion. I would much rather wait and be ready than to try and find out I'm not ready haha. My biggest fear is just that a passenger that fights the turns or doesn't do wth their told. Kick their *** of my bike and be on my merry way hehe. I just broke 1k miles on the bike. Hoping to put down some serious miles soon.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:04 PM

i prefer to be on the bike with my stand up.
That way you can adjust your balance as the pillion gets on.

But yeah.. you really should wait a while before you chuck someone on the back.
Like has been said before a pillion changes the way a bike handles. A LOT!

Old 11-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always get on first and lean against the tank with both my feet flat on the ground as I hold onto the bars. I let the passenger use my footpegs if she wants to climb on up and then once she's settled in place I sit back up.

Before riding off with a new passenger I always make sure the person understands that they need to lean with me when we're turning. Also, I take a lot longer to slow down and stop so the person isn't sliding into me.

Same with taking off. I've ridden as a passenger and there's not much to hold onto when you're back there to keep you from falling off the back. Things are way different than they are for the operator who has a firm grip on the bars. I try to take off nice and smooth. It isn't the time to drag race that Camaro next to you at the red light.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorruptFile

+1

The MSF doesn't teach it during the BRC because you're not meant to do it with just a BRC under your belt. They don't teach trail braking either for the same reason.