Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

How do you handle tailgaters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i wish we could openly carry in alabama ..without a doubt we have curious individuals here anyway..give em a license..deadly..

Old 07-01-2010, 01:28 PM

keep about 10 big ball bearings in your pocket and drop a couple behind you

Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM

I had one the other day tailing me as I slowed down to turn into my neighborhood. I live off of a 4 lane 60MPH road devided into two lanes each way and a grass center divider ditch. My turn off has a turn lane leading up to the cement that crosses the center but this guy was riding so close that I was worried he was going to tap me when I started to slow down. Fortunately he just rode my *** but he did beep at me when I got over so he was just a bike hating @$$ hole.

I didn't know he was being deliberate until I was already committed to slowing down. Next time I get someone that close I'm dropping the hammer and putting some distance between him and be before I turn off. No need to take chances when you have the kind of acceleration a bike can put down vs. some idiot in a S10 pickup.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flipside happened to me yesterday - I was driving my Truck - 55mph in a 45 zone, 2 lane highway just on the edge of town (plenty of houses, sidestreets and driveways). there's 3 cars in front of me and we're all maintaining proper spacing.

Out of nowhere I look up and there's a guy on a Harley, typical leather vest, no shirt, jeans and steeltoes. Helmet just substantial enough to get past the helmet law. I swear he could have changed a taillight on my truck if he wanted to. He follows me like that for about a half mile.

If it had been a guy in a car, he'd have gotten a mild brake-check. since he was on a bike I held back.

then all of a sudden he crosses the double yellow, with an oncoming car a quarter mile up, screams past me and tucks in between me and the car I was following. Now, I'm tailgating him, but not of my own doing, prolly a truck length between him and me so I start fading back. (I was about to turn anyway). About the time he tucks in, the oncoming car passes, and he swings out again and leapfrogs the next car.

I was actually stunned at the whole thing.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:16 PM

I have not been riding very long at all but I have already ran into quite a few tailgaters, living in southern california im used to these idiots riding my @$$ in my car but on my bike its definitely a no go. I usually try and change lanes, if thats not possible, I will gently tap my brake a couple times just enough to get the light to come on. The other day I had a tailgater on me on a back road with a limit of 55MPH I couldnt change lanes since its just one lane in each direction, so I slowed and tapped my brake, he was still riding me way to close for comfort, so I waved goodbye to him and took off, put plenty of space between me and his crappy little acura hahaha

Old 07-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Thumbs down if you only knew what you were talking about

Originally Posted by stretch_the_apex
keep about 10 big ball bearings in your pocket and drop a couple behind you

Now that's some really BAD advice

Might as well just tell people to take out a pistol and shoot .
Tell it to the Guy that did that here a few years back, he threw a bag
of bearings up in the air doing sixty, the van behind took them through the
windshield .... smashed the drivers face ..... he flipped took out 5 more
cars and his passenger was paralaysed.

He, the bike rider gets 7 years in jail. His wife divorces him with kids
after all the civil suits bankrupt the family and the house is gone.

So exactly what part of your "advice" is a good idea ??

I fail to find any value in your post

Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by canhead64
i speed up the first time i notice it, if that doesn't do it i look the guy in the eye for about a split second( usually works most of the time), and if it still doesn't work i flip the bird at them as i drive off.

i had someone tailgate me for a week while following me to school(none of the above worked) , i got in front of him one day and did 15mph for 3 miles through town and he couldn't pass me, he didn't tailgate me anymore after that.
If he was tailgating you, weren't you already in front of him?

I do the initial speed up. If that doesn't work, I slow down and wave my hand down telling him to back off.

Worse case, pull off and get behind him with my brights...

Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Yeah, you can't "fight" a tailgater on a motorcycle. My work van is about 8-10x the weight of you and your bike. Its bigger than most non-commercial trucks. People live solely by my benevolence.

Antagonizing someone who is already displaying aggression & ignorance in a vehicle that large is suicidal. Attempting to damage their vehicle with beaarings or whatever is just asking for them to crush you.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 PM
I Can't Sell Because I'm Hardheaded
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just swerve and wiggle my bike a **** load, scares most car drivers and they back off

Old 07-04-2010, 02:43 PM

hope you had the same response to the guys throwin change or spike'n tires, didnt mean it to be a serious post like those other ones talkin about kill em show em my gun and other retarded crap, so take a chill pill and go talk to some of them on their posts

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 07-04-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you handle tailgaters?