CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   How do you handle tailgaters? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/how-do-you-handle-tailgaters-112534/)

MT Wallet 06-20-2010 05:16 AM

How do you handle tailgaters?

Of all the pet peeves I have with other drivers on the road, this one is near the top-- people in four-wheeled vehicles who follow you too closely.

Here's what I do:

1. First is spotting a tail-gater who is usually either in a hurry, an aggressive driver or a combination of both.

2. I'm constantly looking forward, to my sides and behind via my mirrors. I can spot an aggressive driver pretty easily now, because if they are far away and behind me in the same lane as me, they will almost "key in" on my bike and quickly catch up to me.

3. Ok, I know already the guy behind me is the bad type of driver....so I increase my awareness and keep my eye on him or her. Almost always, this type of driver will also begin following me very closely. And at traffic stops (red light) he will not leave an adequate space between his vehicle and mine, and will be too close to me even when we are stopped.

4. Solution: If the guy keeps on tail-gating me I will try my best to move over as soon as possible to another lane. If that is not possible I will just have to wait until an opportunity to change lanes comes.

5. If I am on the far left lane, or far right lane and there is an emergency shoulder lane (for stalled vehicles) I will even go as far as using those to enter.....while at the same time cutting my speed to let the guy tailing me pass.

6. Then I will get back into the lane I was in and take note of the license plates of the vehicle that was tail-gating me.

What do you guys do? Thoughts?

regener8ed 06-20-2010 07:25 AM

the official answer is:

1) create a bigger gap between yourself and the traffic in front of you and

2) look for an opportunity to pull off/let the tailgater past you.

canhead64 06-20-2010 01:28 PM

i speed up the first time i notice it, if that doesn't do it i look the guy in the eye for about a split second( usually works most of the time), and if it still doesn't work i flip the bird at them as i drive off.

i had someone tailgate me for a week while following me to school(none of the above worked) , i got in front of him one day and did 15mph for 3 miles through town and he couldn't pass me, he didn't tailgate me anymore after that.

bubba_finch07 06-20-2010 02:58 PM

kill them all

MT Wallet 06-20-2010 03:01 PM

Thanks for offering your advice people!

I also used to do the stare and the one-finger salute when people were being major jerks and tail-gating me to no end.

But where I live it's gotten to be too dangerous, with so many road ragers around. :(

MT Wallet 06-20-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07 (Post 937029)
kill them all

That works for me!

bluedevil3758 06-20-2010 08:33 PM

marbles

spicymeowmix 06-20-2010 08:34 PM

deploy road spikes.

Unknown 06-20-2010 09:13 PM

Try waving them to slow down and or to back off. That usually works. Rather then responding aggressively at first contact.

rastaman036 06-20-2010 09:26 PM

I have to say it's better to create some distance,i think we can all agree they are usually easy to spot so dont give em the time to do something stupid