Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Helpful Info for new riders.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These pointers are great! I wish I read this stuff when I was just getting started out about 5 years ago. I had to learn some of them the hard way .

Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 PM

this should be Stickied if it isn't already! lots of great information in here. it's a good review as for a lot of us are just starting a new riding season

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the wealth of information here. I'm a new rider as well and have spent countless hours re-reading these threads and different articles posted. It's all starting to really sink in. Kind of like studying for a test or something just need to put it to practice to really learn it. Helps to visualize different situations in you're mind to prepare you for the real thing. Ofcourse it'll never be exactly the same as real life but it's better than nothing at all.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM

This is an awesome thread. even for vet riders it's good to refresh the memory.
The second post saying to be "afraid" for a long time is IMO perfect advise! new riders get it in thier head they have to be "not afraid" and ride faster and thats what causes wrecks. there was a guy who bought a rocket here in PA and as he turned onto the road out of the parking lot he punched it "brand new first time on one" and he hit the guard rails flew into the woods and snapped his neck. just hearing that story helped me keep respect for these things. the story was he had rode bikes his whole life just never a rocket. sorry for rambling
Thanks for this info! something as simple as a thread like this might save someone's life!!

Old 05-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Default thanks

very helpfull stuff, i learned the hard way not to brake too much in a turn now i need to learn how to fix my bike

Old 05-24-2011, 10:35 PM

something that I would love for you guys to point out is looking through the turn. I just find it hard to get used to doing so. Any advise or tips is more than welcom. This is an amazing thread glad i read it before i got my bike but imma read it again right before i get it then againa and again... thanks

Old 08-07-2011, 11:13 PM
Default Learn, Experience, Implement....Save a life for the next day (Do's and Don'ts)

For all those new riders out there the most important thing for you to realize is that motorcycles are not toys. You are riding a machine that has the hp of an average non-sport sedan and weighs a fifth the weight. Motorcycles can be unforgiving if you treat them as toys.....But enough with the scary parts. If you can ride responsible and realize that you will learn at your own rate a motorcycle can give you an incredible rush (very few things like corning knee deep at 100+). So here are some helpful tips for those new and experienced.

1) Always suit up before you head out. Spending money on good gear is never a waste. If it takes an extra week to save money for that Arai helmet, or dianese jacket then do it. Itll save your life or at least spare you a skin graft. So never be ashamed to be wearing protection even if your friends arent.

2) Be aware of your surroundings. Lets face it. Most people dont know have to drive so you have to be extra vigilant. NEVER assume that car at the stop sign sees you. Slow down and double and triple check.

3) Speed is stability. You will learn this whether you take the riding class or not. For those physics majors out there....think. Centrifical force will keep you back in your seat. Your not gonna fall of when you learn the bike down. Centrifugal force will also keep the bike stable which brings about tip #4.

4) Come in to a turn comfortably (in speed and body position). You should not be to hard on the handle bars or you will shake them, nor too far back or your center of gravity is off (should be a fist length back from the tank). As you enter a turn come in from the outside of the turn steady on the throttle, as you come half way through the turn (apex) youll be inside the turn and gradually roll on the throttle and come back to the outside. DONT CRACK THE THROTTLE unless you plan on drifting into a tree or ditch, or scaring yourself into a highside.....rule #5

5) STEADY ON THE THROTTLE. Coming out of a turn you should exit about 8-10 mph faster....a gradual and slight roll through a turn. Should you spin the back tire DONT LOCK ARMS, GAIN TUNNEL VISION, OR LOCK BRAKES. If your tire spins keep rolling on the throttle so the rear tire grabs and stay at that speed until to can exit a turn and safely lean up and decelerate. IT WILL JERK but keep you goal through the turn, stay relaxed an clear headed. Same on straight aways. For you wheelie junkies...you will mess up at some point but thats another lesson. If the front tire only lifts enough for a tank slapper (shaking handle bars vigorously) stay at a constant speed until the bike straightens back out....last resort roll on the throttle very slightly DONT DECELERATE (this advise saved my life literally when it happened to me at 110mph but i can pass the advice on because i learned it, experienced it but stayed relaxed, and implemented the advice)

6) BRAKING. As you get comfortable you will realize you do not need the brake nearly as much unless a stop light or sign pops up. For beginners...the front brake is about 70% of your stopping power. Grip it too hard and youll stoppie or flip. If this does happen then KEEP ARMS LOOSE, LOOK AHEAD NOT DOWN, RELEASE BRAKE, and LEAN BACKWARDS UNTIL REAR DROPS GRADUALLY....congrats you just did an endo. In otherwords, easy on the front brake and use rear brake in colaberation for a steady stop. Brake before your turn if needed (you will need to until you learn your bike). You can figure out straight lines through practice. Through a turn if you hit the rear too hard it slows the rear tire but the front will remain at constant speed causing. The rear will throw the bike outwards usually your correction will cause you to high side. Grip the front through a turn and the bike will be thrown downwards into the turn...your correction will most likely cause you to highside as you try to pick the bike back up. COME INTO THE TURN COMFORTABLE OR YOU WILL CAUSE YOU TO HIGHSIDE. Low sides usually happen when you throw the back tire out from rear brake, or gravel, etc. If you MUST (LAST RESORT as most instructors will say do not) brake through you can FEATHER the rear brake to ease you through or FEATHER the front. THIS WILL RAPIDLY LEAN THE BIKE DOWN DEPENDING ON YOUR GRIP....STAY LOOSE AND CONTROLLED!!!!!! I prefer the front because the rear tire is still under power so i more so control the angle of the bike to compensate for the speed than the rear brake which controls the speed and you most control the angle.

7) BODY POSITION. as you enter a turn the goal is to keep the bike as straight as possible. It will feel unsafe at first leaning your body off the safety of the bike but this is indeed safer. Get your entire right or left *** cheek off the bike (right for right turns, left for lefts), throw your knee forward, get parallel with the bike, and get your helmet right behind the mirror (youll figure it out you wont be blind). Get off the bike just before you hit the turn and begin leaning the bike at a comfortable angle. it should not be straight up but should not be dragging your frame slider while doing the speed limit in a neighborhood. DRAGGING KNEE IS A RESULT NOT A GOAL!!!!!!! If your dragging knee that means its time for new rear sets. While off the bike follow your pre planned race line and execute it smoothly. You will feel locked into position when you hit the turn right (as if your an extention of the bike), from here you can slightly adjust if needed.

REMEMBER a bike is a machine not a toy. TAKE AS MUCH ADVICE AS POSSIBLE AND LEARN AT YOUR OWN PACE IN YOUR OWN RIDING LINE NOT YOUR FRIENDS!!!!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 AM

Awesome thread people! I'm new to riding and think of myself as a responcible rider. One thing I am having to deal with is I am a SPEED JUNKIE!! I have been riding for one month, never touched a bike before and got an 07 600RR. I love the power I feel but fear it. You all are so right when you say fear or respect your bike. I have already commited sins like riding on the interstate the day I bought the bike without a Lid on, not knowing how to negotiate a turn at 65mph. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I seem to have a side of me that says don't be dumb stay with in your limits and have self controle and another side of me that pushes my bike to 100+ mph. I haven't figured out how to deal with this yet but being a new rider, my favorite posts are:

Respect and fear your bike...It can kill you...Or better yet you can kill yourself on it.

Know and ride within YOUR limits. I spent two days and hours riding at 20mph through my neighborhood just to feel the bike.

Dress for the Crash not the weather.

It is not if you crash but when you crash. If you are always looking for your crash then maybe you can avoid it until next time.

There are Old Riders and there are Bold riders but there are no Old Bold riders.

Listen to experienced riders and take their advice. Most of it is written in blood.

Don't forget about your family. Your not the only one that will hurt.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Keep it coming, I would love to read this again in a few months to see what else has been posted.

Quick Reply: Helpful Info for new riders.