Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Hardest technique to master?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F2-FIRST-BIKE

And dose anyone know how tight to set the throttle cables on an f2 as far as free play in the handle? Im thinking that im set a little loose and think its affecting my throttle control during cornering and blips for shifting.
I adjusted mine until there was no play what so ever as long as when you turn the bars lock to lock the engine doesnt rev.

Last edited by coalminer frank; 07-04-2016 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Xcitement 711
Old 07-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I adjusted mine until there was no play what so ever as long as when you turn the bars lock to lock the engine doesnt rev.
Oh ok that makes sense sounds like iv got one more thing to do when I install my frame sliders

Old 09-28-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ditch
For me it's keeping my upper body relaxed
You could tell yourself to relax all day but unless you are really connected and stable on the bike, you won't be able too. If you are not feeling stable with your lower body then you rely on your arms to hold on to the handlebars.

What could you do with your lower body to help ensure that you could relax your arms?

Old 10-24-2016, 09:41 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

1) Stoppies, I just lock up the front...
2) Low speed tight turns. I just can't, I feel like I'm going to fall over

Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SunBlue
2) Low speed tight turns. I just can't, I feel like I'm going to fall over

The following users liked this post:
Mi_ka (10-30-2022)
Old 10-25-2016, 01:59 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
That vid is actually my favorite one despite the questionable english I think he demos the concept pretty well
I think a lot of it has to do with mental stuff for me. As a fearless beginner I layed down twice because I leaned too much for how slow I was going, so after that I've been afraid to lean while going slow n just can't get over feeling like I'm going to fall and I always end up going wide. Thanks though for the reminder I just need to practice more. I even got cones and stuff too for parking lot exercises (of course that was before my bike died .....)

Old 10-30-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I keep telling myself, out loud, "relax dammit relax". Throttle blipping and braking= practice. As far as shifting, down shifting I do before I get in position to hang off. Upshift I can hang off and up shift. But I also have reverse shift pattern which I believe makes it easier.
I still have the bad habit of really grabbing the bars while hanging off. ill finally realize why my lines and corner speed sucks and relax. I dont do it as much as i used to, installing tank grip pads have helped that a ton though, used to have to squeeze the hell out of the tank to stay on the damn thing.

Used to have an issue with braking and rev matching, but my last trackday at BFR i kinda forced myself to not be a wimp on the brakes, turn 1 comes outta nowhere fast
I noticed the harder i was on the brakes, the easier rev matching became.

I still havent tried shifting while hanging off. maybe next year

Last edited by sjona2011; 10-30-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hardest thing is keeping my eyes where they need to be next. I tend to look too close to my front wheel, which messes up my sense of speed and my timing. It's a really bad habit from poor driving skills because of learning to drive in a city with major potholes and other crap. When I'm on the bike sometimes I make a game of dodging patches. It hurts my riding and I know it. Damn hard habit to break because I'm always thinking about that next spot of grease or rocks or whatever is in the road.

If it weren't for the fact that I enjoy the occasional commute to work or the store, I'd quit street riding (provided I got enough track time). Maybe I could break those bad vision habits.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
I still have the bad habit of really grabbing the bars while hanging off. ill finally realize why my lines and corner speed sucks and relax. I dont do it as much as i used to, installing tank grip pads have helped that a ton though, used to have to squeeze the hell out of the tank to stay on the damn thing.

Used to have an issue with braking and rev matching, but my last trackday at BFR i kinda forced myself to not be a wimp on the brakes, turn 1 comes outta nowhere fast
I noticed the harder i was on the brakes, the easier rev matching became.

I still havent tried shifting while hanging off. maybe next year
If you experiment with your body position you should be able to find a way to minimize how much you have to grab the bars. Try a few different positions while the bike is on a stand and see what one affords you the ability to be as relaxed as possible. At the California Superbike School we get our students to jam their outside knee into the tank (stomp grip helps as you mentioned). If you do a calf raise with that outside foot it helps to get your let together into the tank with better grip. From there, if you hang half a butt cheek off and work on brining your upper body over to the inside you should be able to let go of the bars completely and just have your outside knee/leg anchoring you. The more stable your lower body is the more you will be able to relax your upper body.

Originally Posted by Jaybird180
Hardest thing is keeping my eyes where they need to be next. I tend to look too close to my front wheel, which messes up my sense of speed and my timing. It's a really bad habit from poor driving skills because of learning to drive in a city with major potholes and other crap. When I'm on the bike sometimes I make a game of dodging patches. It hurts my riding and I know it. Damn hard habit to break because I'm always thinking about that next spot of grease or rocks or whatever is in the road.

If it weren't for the fact that I enjoy the occasional commute to work or the store, I'd quit street riding (provided I got enough track time). Maybe I could break those bad vision habits.
Improving your visual skills is something that you can certainly do. The first step to making the improvements is knowing what you are doing wrong and you have certainly pinpointed what you are doing incorrectly. What should you be looking at instead? Should you be looking as far ahead as possible or are there specific things you should be looking at while riding?

Old 10-31-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MIsti- Inhavent convinced myself that the habit is altogether bad for the street. I saw a guy today on a Spyder run over a cooler lid that was in the middle of the road. He was at slow enough speed that going around shouldn't have been a problem, but being on 3-wheels he couldn't care less. I don't think that is the desirable either.

Happiness must be somewhere in the middle of the extremes. I have to consciously push my eyes down the road. If I can make this trackday this weekend, we shall see if I can make the mental shift successfully.

Quick Reply: Hardest technique to master?