Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Check your tires!

Old 08-07-2010, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I don't check my tire pressure before each ride (weekly), I do a pre-ride inspection like supersnake83 ... brake/signal lights working, horn works (only because I know a middle finger doesn't make any noise...j/k), headlights work. Before I start it, because it's sooo easy to look through the window, I check the oil too (i've learned the hard way that although Honda makes a reliable bike, they still need oil to run).

Old 08-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, check mine monthly but can tell the difference when it gets a few pounds low.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Banned

Checking out your bike is certainly an important thing and you're right....many people don't even think about it.
Even the difference between like 20 and the recommended 36 makes a huge change in handling.

A quick pre-trip takes like 30secs. No reason not to check the important stuff. It's like the ounce of prevention vs. pound of cure thing.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:26 PM

I carry a tire pressure gauge in my jacket pocket. I can tell when riding if my tire pressure is even just 1 pound low and it drives me nuts.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:32 PM

Also, don't forget your 4 wheeled support cage's Spare Tire.
It's the most neglected and when you need it to save the day it'll really bite when its just as flat as the one you're taking off.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, cages are important too. Especially since colder weather is here for many of us, and you'll likely lose a few psi.

Time to replace the summer air in your tires with winter air as well. Summer air won't work correctly. LOL...

Old 04-05-2011, 03:31 PM

+1 to this thread. Bike was sitting in the garage for a full 6+ months as I was stationed overseas. Finally got some leave and took the bike out first chance without doing the correct pre-flight routines. Noticed at the first turn bike handled a litle 'ackward' (turns felt a lil slushy and unstable).. but chaulked it up to sitting for so long. Got back from ride and put some air in the tires and felt perfect after that.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem. I was eager to ride my bike when I first got and it kept feeling like the bike was slipping from under me on turns. Very scary experience which causes the foot down reflex every time. Tires had about 10 lbs of pressure in them front and back. The Guy that sold it to me rode it like that for who knows how long. Chain was extremely dry as well. Things like these can cause BIG problems while riding. I ALWAYS at least squeeze the front and back tires for pressure before every ride. Check the chain for lubrication and wiggle the front and back wheels to make sure nothings working loose. Unfortunately, some people rarely check anything, just hop on and ride. Good habits go a long way.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thumbs up!

Thumbs up to this thread in general. As well as checking pressures, friendly reminder that changing tires is common, but a lot of times especially at smaller shops our valve stems are neglected because we don't request them or they simply don't have them. EVERY used bike over 6 or 7 years old i have come across has seemingly had the original valve stems accept one or at least the valve stems shown signs of cracking. Nothing sucks more than putting a gauge on the valve stem only to have it snap off.

How many of you actually get new valve stems when you replace your tires?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I don't I have metal 90* ones But I have been eying a set of TPS Valves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check your tires!