Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Can't lift bike back up :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why our MSF schools teach us to constantly look around but to your point, there's just something maybe at the reptilian brain that sees and recognizes the object but somehow there's a mental disconnect from "hey avoid that" vs. "oooh pretty light that will kill/dismember me" ...... :\

The GoPro kept recording but I chopped out the following conversation with myself and girl friend since it was just banter about how I feel like the biggest idiot in the world

I've bought a variety of riding gear but so far my current setup is the best next to a track suit as far as I'm concerned with several wrecks at 35mph. You can see each impact I took and you see I got up pretty quickly The worst out of the two of these wrecks I got was a mild bruise on my hip bone. So my current gear is dirt bike gear but as said it's awesome and does the job. Bonus is unlike textile products, I don't keep sliding cuz ABS plastic is abrasive against asphalt.

Well our moto gear provider and track rock stars say sliding is key to saving your life!!!!????? 100% true on the track, not true on street. Sliding puts you usually into a curb, median, or worst, another lane/vehicle vs. at track, you go into the safe dirt zone and your fellow track mates were waiting for this to happen to avoid you vs. on street, we're lazy. The ABS motoX gear I have does not allow you to slide. You may tumble a bit and still slide some but you will not slide as far as with Cortex/textile material. ABS is by far more durable/abrasive in this situation too so it handles it very well. Add some bad *** shock absorption material like Fox did and a 35mph wreck is like jumpin into bed while being pulled by some g force. It's kinda fun till you see the scrapes on the bike... but you likely walked away.

Why I chose MotoX gear to try?
It's built so if you get launched off your bike into a tree, rock, or something that's gonna suck, you have enough armor to give you a chance at not having a puncture or a break. Street gear is simply built to protect from road rash/slide but it's built to slide i.e. promote exactly what it's built to protect against.
I also wanted something that I could clip on vs. slip on. I can carry all my gear on my back pack straps or I can keep wearing it and look like some Mad Max Super Cop while strolling around to get some food. The other key factor is I live in AZ so I needed excellent cooling in our 118+ degree summers. This gives all that so I can clip it all onto my current attire, I'll be cool in summer, and in winter, I just add a wind breaker and maybe a layer below otherwise I go full leather.

My gear:

Troy Lee Designs 5955 Chest Protector - My spine was thankful a couple times.
Fox Racing Titan Fore Arm and Knee Guards. 3 wrecks and only a few scrapes.
Condor Battle Belt. This is why my hips had no bruises
Raptor tactical belt (goes inside the Condor)
VooDoo Tactical MOLLE Mesh Drop Leg Platform for my tool and misc pouches. I use the medic and standard molle pouches for either leg.
Custom made leather boots.
Nice trail 3 day backpack with chest/hip clips so the bag doesn't roll me off a cliff in a corner.
Akuma Werewolf LED lit helmet

Last edited by entity-unknown; 04-02-2019 at 12:52 PM.