Hauling the bike HELP ME!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling the bike HELP ME!

So i am headed to the Honda hoot in June and i need to put my bike in the back of my pickup truck to get it down there. I just dont know what all stuff i need to get it down there securely? I know i need a couple of wheel chocks and some straps but any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. How to do it or what stuff i actually need

Old 05-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Default RE: Hauling the bike HELP ME!

man just take 2 tow straps around the forks. tie em to the truck. and if you want take two from the back pegs to the truck. make sure its in gear and it shouldnt go anywhere. i do it all the time. you would have to roll the S.O.B for it to come out. just make sure they are hella tight; yes i just said hella. good luck

Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 AM

In the back of a pickup all you really need to do is tie the front end down so tight it compresses the forks all the way or almost all the way. I use rachet straps less work that way. I did it this way to get my bike to PHX and Back a year later and to various other places.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:46 AM

This is my general advice for trailering, since I see WAY too much stupid crap done nowadays;
- Don't cheat; use FOUR straps, one on each corner, and make sure they are the ratcheting type. Anchor from each handlebar mount/side of triple tree and compress well EVENLY. Then anchor from the rear pass pegs, and compress well EVENLY again.
- Don't take chances; leave the kickstand DOWN. Bike in gear is up to you. If you strapped properly in the first step, it should not be able to roll regardless.
- Don't be dumb; understand that you cannot predict what will happen while driving... your bike MUST be WELL SECURED in case you brake hard suddenly, or swerve suddenly. A falling bike is both a hazard and a tragedy. If you can feel the bike move when you grab it and jerk it back and forth, you did something wrong. The only thing that should move is the vehicle.

If you are still clueless on how to properly tie down a bike in a pickup, let me know and I'll elaborate.

E.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 AM

buy a canyon dancer.

just google it, alot of sites sell them.

it is worth its weight in gold.

you only NEED 2 straps with this but you ran put 2 more on the rear pegs if you wish..

Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: heybuddy1901

buy a canyon dancer.

just google it, alot of sites sell them.

it is worth its weight in gold.

you only NEED 2 straps with this but you ran put 2 more on the rear pegs if you wish..
I agree, that is the best way to strap the bike. I'm not sure what brand I have, but they work fantastic! very easy to put on and off and EXTREMELY stable!
+1!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:11 PM

Try finding a nice ditch to back into loading and unloading as well. I know it's pretty hard to drive up into a level truck, much less push 400+ lbs. into a truck.