Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Body position and stability

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Maybe that's why cruiser guys talk about chrome and soft seats instead of body position and throttle control.
Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Gee, if there was a 'like' button Demon, I'd like your post!
This is the reason for a like button. I'll have to give my cruiser buddy a hard time with this one. He'll love it.

OP- thanks for the posting. I feel I'm never too old to learn something useful.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SunBlue
I will try adjusting my position on the seat back more. When I started riding I used to ride with the crotch flush against the tank, altho I try to keep a fist sized gap to the tank now, it may be that I still slide forward unconsciously from habit. I'll keep your tips in mind as I experiment with different positions on the seat and pegs, next time I go canyoning.

Sometimes so difficult to practice, so many things to think about while riding. Where I'm looking, all the body position adjustments, looking thru turn, judging speed, how much to roll on, etc etc... But it's a fun challenge and incredibly rewarding. I'm sure with more practice more and more things will become second nature.

Thanks so much everybody, all invaluable pointers!!
cruising around all the way up against the tank is fine, more comfortable than sliding back in the seat and tucking, But when you hit the twisties then slide back, your body position will be better, and when you find the right spot, everything will seem to 'click' and fall into place, and your knee may not feel weird.
But dont work on everything at once. Focus on one thing until it becomes second nature. Otherwise you could get overwhelmed and make a mistake.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 PM

The flappy feeling knee is the inside corner side (the one thats supposed to stick out). The outside one generally feels alright. But need to get me some tank grips.
Thanks for the input! Generally sounds like I'm doing alright, it may be that I'm just not used to it and uncertain.

I will try adjusting my position on the seat back more. When I started riding I used to ride with the crotch flush against the tank, altho I try to keep a fist sized gap to the tank now, it may be that I still slide forward unconsciously from habit. I'll keep your tips in mind as I experiment with different positions on the seat and pegs, next time I go canyoning.

Sometimes so difficult to practice, so many things to think about while riding. Where I'm looking, all the body position adjustments, looking thru turn, judging speed, how much to roll on, etc etc... But it's a fun challenge and incredibly rewarding. I'm sure with more practice more and more things will become second nature.

Thanks so much everybody, all invaluable pointers!!
The knee that is out and dangling will feel a bit "flappy" if you aren't used to it. The outside knee should be firmly planted against the tank and yes tank grips will help

And as sjona2011 said, don't try and do too many things at once as you will get overwhelmed. Just focus on one thing at a time and don't try and change too many things at once. If you want to experiment with body position changes then do just that but don't worry about anything else. You can even practice body position statically, just set your bike up on a solid stand and figure out what position feels the most comfortable and the most stable for you. The idea is to get locked onto the bike so that you can have as little pressure on your arms as possible. Happy riding!!

Old 11-07-2017, 12:24 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess I'm just not used to the knee thing. Haha

sjona2011 and Misti, yes now that I think about it I should focus on one thing at a time. Maybe every ride, I will just pick one thing to focus on instead of "just do better at everything". Altho sometimes I do feel a little dumb doing the full bp and knee sticking and not going that fast LOL! but who cares right!

Old 11-20-2017, 07:09 PM

I guess I'm just not used to the knee thing. Haha

sjona2011 and Misti, yes now that I think about it I should focus on one thing at a time. Maybe every ride, I will just pick one thing to focus on instead of "just do better at everything". Altho sometimes I do feel a little dumb doing the full bp and knee sticking and not going that fast LOL! but who cares right!
YES!! Do it! good idea