Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Why does everyone bag on ICON gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why does everyone bag on ICON gear?

I have a Icon helmet and love it. It is the best fitting full face I have ever owned and it is snell approved so that is always a plus there.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 PM

I had the first generation Icon Timax mesh jacket, lowsided once, and went over on a stoppie with it. No damage to me or the jacket. I passed it on to my brother who just recently high sided with it on. Again no damage. I had the Mainframe helmet, but didn't care for it. Lots of wind noise, and at high speed it felt like it was pulling my head off. I have a Icon Merc Hero Leather jacket that I'm wearing now, and have no real complaints. It's too big for me, but still better than no protection at all. All in all, the quality of their products seem to be pretty good for me. I agree about the gloves though. Had a pair of the SuperDuty ones and they lasted maybe a month before falling apart. The seams and stitching were okay, but the material between my thumb and forefinger on both sides had holes. Same reply from Icon "No warranty due to normal wear and tear". Spoke to a customer service rep who told me that because they are light/medium weight gloves, that is the expected life span. If I wanted gloves that lasted longer cough up the extra cash for the heavy duty gloves.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 PM

I have the body armor/spine protector the i wear inside my leathers. It is just on more layer of protection, fits good. I don't have anything bad to say about icon gear.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

I heard that handle bar thingy on the back of their helmets breaks off easy.
They tell you not to use it as a handle to hold the helmet with, but as normal most people don't bother to read the damn instruction and then the helmet fender falls off...it says on the website for that helmet not to hold it cause its made to break away in a crash.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:09 AM
June 2009 ROTM

Last spring I t-boned a drunk left-turner at about 50, slid down the road,and my Icon Motorhead jacket didn't even have a scratch, just little scuffs,also the armor kept me from even getting a bruise on my upper body. I trust their jackets now.

They do seem to go with the form over function mentality a bit more than other brands though, meaning they seem to put style ahead of safety at times but not anything too serious. Things like looser fitting gear which looks good but doesnt keep armor in place as well as tighter fitting (but less stylish and comfortable) would.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Alright, so after a couple months of wearing my ICON Domain Decay everyday to and from work/school...

Pros:
-Cool graphics (I get compliments all the time)
-Great ventilation

Cons:
-Ventilation=noise. I'm talking alot of noise.
-Feels heavier than other helmets but stats show otherwise. Might be the design of the helmet but it feels heavy.
-Don't like all the vents and spoilers.
-Crazy rattle inside the helmet from excess air flow, can't fix it.

Conclusion: I probably wouldn't buy other ICON helmet again asmost of their graphics are a bit on the flashy side (death from above) and most seem to come with large vents and wings. My next helmet purchase will be RX7 Tommygun or RF1000.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:49 AM

I don't have an icon helmet, but have their hooligan battlecry mesh jacket and I like it alot. Never been down in so can't speak for the durability aspects of it.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:38 PM

I've had the Domain2 helmet, and the Accelerant gloves, and I'm not happy with either of them. The Domain felt good intially, but after a week, the liner broke in far too much, and it bobbed around on my head at speed. I quickly sold it to an accuaintance.

The gloves, however, drove me away from the brand forever. I lowsided the 78 CB400 at 45mph on a back country road. No damage to any of the gear, with the exception of the glove. ALL the stitching on the outside seam burst. The leather still had the holes from the stitching intact, but the thread simply gave way. Jacket had some small scratches, $45 pair of Levis are still in service with very little wear, even after having a 400lb bike on top of my leg drag them 25ft down a road, but the $60 pair of leather gloves took a dump on me?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 PM

As far as I've seen the jackets hold up pretty well. The helmets, not so sure... The gloves, for sure aren't that great. Well I have the Icon Pursuit gloves and the seams began coming out after about a week of riding. That and they don't offer much protection.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:16 PM

The helmets are indeed safe, since they are DOT approved and Snell Foundation tested, but you will find those qualities in most helmets. It's what attracts riders to Icon that fails miserably. The flashy graphics are cool, I will attest to that, but the diffusers/spoilers/vents that separate Icon from everyone else are the weak link. One of my friends bought the "Death from Above" Mainframe, and he wears full leather gloves. Second day he rode with the helmet, he snapped the vent switch to the diffuser, because he couldn't feel the flimsy switch through the glove. The "handle" that everyone loves to hold on to was NEVER designed to be a handle, and that's why it snaps off, but I can't blame Icon for how the rider treats the equipment. Later releases of the Domain and Domain2 have a warning tag that specifically says you are not supposed to use the spoiler as a handle. On top of the issues with the small tidbits, you can pay in excess of $400? I just don't see the "bang for the buck" here. Unless you MUST have the insanly cool graphics, can live with the small issues, and are not scared to whip out $400 for a single-use piece of protection, then go for it.

Jackets overall have been very good. I have no complaints as far as Icon jackets, and haven't had any friends with problems with the jackets. I'm complaining over a Joe Rocket, which is an established company witha proven record for quality, and zippers are falling off, and velcro that is coming unsewn. Most of my friends have at least one Icon jacket, and they generally like them as a comfortable relaxed-fit jacket. Armor is comfortable, nice cut, nice stitching and detail. I think the Icon jackets are worth the money.

and while in the topic of armor, Icon's armor line is... lacking. They have a full array of armor available now, but it doesn't seem to compare to the other manufacturers. Knox, Bohn, AStars, Scholler, all these trusted brands are all CE tested and rated. Icon doesn't have a single peice that is CE rated. Icon stuff is usually cut more towards comfort or style, instead of full-on protection.I always tell anyone who asks about armor that "Something is better than nothing" but most of the Icon stuff is just as expensive as the Knox or Bohn stuff, so why pay the same for an untested peice?

Quick Reply: Why does everyone bag on ICON gear?